Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin dead (1 Viewer)

Nitro Member
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20349888-2,00.html

THE Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin, is dead.

He was killed in a freak accident in Cairns, police sources said.

It is understood he was killed by a stingray barb that went through his chest.

He was swimming off the Low Isles at Port Douglas filming an underwater documentary when the tragedy occured.

Ambulance officers confirmed they attended a reef fatality this morning at Batt Reef off Port Douglas.

Irwin's body is being flown to Cairns.

It is believed Mr Irwin's American-born wife Terri is trekking on Cradle Mountain in Tasmania and is yet to be told of her husband's death.

Mr Irwin - known worldwide as the Crocodile Hunter - is famous for his enthusiasm for wildlife and his catchcry "Crikey!".

The father of two's Crocodile Hunter program was first broadcast in 1992 and has been shown around the world on cable network Discovery.

He has also starred in movies and has developed the Australia Zoo wildlife park, north of Brisbane, which was started by his parents Bob and Lyn Irwin.

A Tourism Queensland spokeswoman today said the death was shocking and paid tribute to Irwin's "enormous contribution" to his adopted state.

Louise Yates said it was impossible to quantify how much Mr Irwin had meant to the Queensland tourism industry.

"I don't think we could even estimate how much he brought us through his personality and his profile and his enthusiasm about Queensland," she said.

"It would be difficult to estimate how much he was worth. And it would be difficult to underestimate."

She said Mr Irwin had been a larger-than-life ambassador.

"It's not just what he brought but what he took with him when he travelled, his passion."

Australia Zoo, on southeast Queensland's Sunshine Coast, employs more than 500 people and attracts thousands of visitors every day.

But Ms Yates said it would be "unfair and unjust" to put a dollar value on Irwin's worth to the state, because of how much he had given.

Wow, the headlines made me jump to a premature conclusion. I figured before proceeding into the story that his demise would have come form a croc. :(

The world was a lot better place with him in it, I feel so bad for Terri, Bindi and Bob Bob (Robert)! :(

very sad, that guy did so much , he lived 3 lives. my condolances go out to his wife, they got along so so well.

Very sad news this morning when I heard it. I have always enjoyed watching his tv shows. Sad day especially for Austrailia. My condonlences to his family.

Whereas it wasn't altogether shocking news, it is still very saddening. May he rest in peace knowing the world was a much, much better place with him in it & he will be missed. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family & friends... May God bless and keep you Steve.

he was the perfect spokesman and frontman for his cause....enthusiastic, passionate, fun loving, and he was one of the rare people in the world that loved to go to work everyday and that came across unequivacally on his show....This is a horrible loss for the world

He did seem invincible.

I just heard about this on a news site, & I hoping it was some kind of joke.

Today is a sad day not only for Austrailla, but for the world. Your right Jeff, he did live 3 lives, and he was passionate about what he did. He'll always be admired & remembered. I feel so bad for his wife & children. God bless him & his family. God Speed Steve.

I was reading on another site that the stingray has a serrated, ten inch, toxin-loaded barb on the top of its tail. Apparently, Steve was on the top side of the ray, and the barb put a hole in his chest, piercing his heart.

he was the perfect spokesman and frontman for his cause....enthusiastic, passionate, fun loving, and he was one of the rare people in the world that loved to go to work everyday and that came across unequivacally on his show....This is a horrible loss for the world

Exactly. The man died doing what he loved. Any of us should be so lucky. Someone kept harping to me today how sad it is. I said "No, sad are the people who have long miserable lives doing something they hate. They die every day and nobody hears about them. The only reason you know who Steve was is because he was doing what he was passionate about."

He probably thought it was a scratch!

In reply to Chris above, I read that the sting usually isn't fatal to humans and that it probably wouldn't have killed him except for where it got him.

I was reading on another site that the stingray has a serrated, ten inch, toxin-loaded barb on the top of its tail. Apparently, Steve was on the top side of the ray, and the barb put a hole in his chest, piercing his heart.

The national news interviewed a guy from the Sydney Aquarium who had also been "stung" by a stingray. He was surfing, had a wipeout and stepped on a small 'ray. The barb (about 4" long) pierced his foot, he said the pain was so incredible he took 5 hits of morphine and nothing happened.That was over a 6 hour period. Unbelieveable ..........

Very sad day :(

Mark.

The national news interviewed a guy from the Sydney Aquarium who had also been "stung" by a stingray. He was surfing, had a wipeout and stepped on a small 'ray. The barb (about 4" long) pierced his foot, he said the pain was so incredible he took 5 hits of morphine and nothing happened.That was over a 6 hour period. Unbelieveable ..........

Very sad day :(

Mark.

I heard someone else in the news say they stepped on one while walking on a beach. Said they had to surgically remove a 2" long barb and that for two days he was in the worst pain in his life.

Wish I could remember the variety of tiny deadly jellyfish they showed on a program the other week. Showed two researchers who barely got stung lying in beds for days, wrything in pain and discomfort.

I found it. Read where it says Irukandji Syndrome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irukandji_jellyfish

Even under the "maximum dose of morphine" Teresa remarked that she "wished she could rip her skin off"" "Jamie said he wished that he was stung by Chironex fleckeri instead since "the pain goes away in 20 minutes or you die". The pain from Carukia barnesi can last 2 weeks."

Last edited:
Wish I could remember the variety of tiny deadly jellyfish they showed on a program the other week. Showed two researchers who barely got stung lying in beds for days, wrything in pain and discomfort.

I saw that show too. You had to just cringe when you saw how much pain they were in.

This very sad occurance is unbelievably rare. I have to believe it was just Steve Irwin's time to go. Out of the entire body, to penetrate in the exact location that will kill you almost instantaneously, is unfathomable. A real loss to the entire world.

I heard someone else in the news say they stepped on one while walking on a beach. Said they had to surgically remove a 2" long barb and that for two days he was in the worst pain in his life.

I found it. Read where it says Irukandji Syndrome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irukandji_jellyfish

Even under the "maximum dose of morphine" Teresa remarked that she "wished she could rip her skin off"" "Jamie said he wished that he was stung by Chironex fleckeri instead since "the pain goes away in 20 minutes or you die". The pain from Carukia barnesi can last 2 weeks."

I remember seeing that program those two looked to be in real bad condition.
The scary thing is they are a relative to the box jelly fish but the difference is they are no bigger than your thumb nail and they have stingers on the body as well as their tenicles which is the only species that is armed like that.
That guy that was on that program I believe was also on the boat with Steve when he died I'm still in shock this really hit me hard Steve was a great guy.
My wife and I had the good fortune of having dinner with Steve and Terri at one of their favorite restaurants Rigoli's in Colundra a few years back he was just a regular Bloke my hart goes out to his entire family!
Going to the zoo won't be the same now that he's gone but I will continue to go to support all his and Terri's efforts to create such an awesome Zoo if you’ve never gone I highly recommend it I think it's a nicer Zoo than the world famous San Diego Zoo.

I remember seeing that program those two looked to be in real bad condition.
The scary thing is they are a relative to the box jelly fish but the difference is they are no bigger than your thumb nail and they have stingers on the body as well as their tenicles which is the only species that is armed like that.
That guy that was on that program I believe was also on the boat with Steve when he died I'm still in shock this really hit me hard Steve was a great guy.
My wife and I had the good fortune of having dinner with Steve and Terri at one of their favorite restaurants Rigoli's in Colundra a few years back he was just a regular Bloke my hart goes out to his entire family!
Going to the zoo won't be the same now that he's gone but I will continue to go to support all his and Terri's efforts to create such an awesome Zoo if you’ve never gone I highly recommend it I think it's a nicer Zoo than the world famous San Diego Zoo.

I would love to have the opportunity to visit Australia one dya. The Zoo would be at the top of my 'to do' list, for sure. Can't imagine what Terri is going through. So many good things have been said by people all over the world. Last night I saw a couple of guys on TV with the 'what did you expect with a guy like that' attitude, about his death. I'm not in the habit of talking to the TV, but I had a few choice ones that's for sure.

I would love to have the opportunity to visit Australia one dya. The Zoo would be at the top of my 'to do' list, for sure. Can't imagine what Terri is going through. So many good things have been said by people all over the world. Last night I saw a couple of guys on TV with the 'what did you expect with a guy like that' attitude, about his death. I'm not in the habit of talking to the TV, but I had a few choice ones that's for sure.

I know what you mean Jackee most of those people are just jealous of his success.
He has put the spot light on conservation and wildlife preservation that nobody ever thought possible.
What kind of amazed me was he really is the way he is on television even when the cameras aren't on him he was lightning in a bottle!
I agree my heart goes out to Terri and his kids which are her #1 priority.
But I also feel for Bob Irwin Steve’s father to bury your kid can't be an easy and as much as Steve died doing what he loved just doesn't cut it with me.
Yes he did love what he was doing but his family was his #1 priority and as everyone else including myself thought he was invincible and nature proved otherwise.
I said it once and I will say it again the world was a much better place with Steve in it!
Im still having problems comming to terms with his passing....:(

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back