Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin dead (1 Viewer)

I know what you mean Jackee most of those people are just jealous of his success.
He has put the spot light on conservation and wildlife preservation that nobody ever thought possible.
What kind of amazed me was he really is the way he is on television even when the cameras aren't on him he was lightning in a bottle!
I agree my heart goes out to Terri and his kids which are her #1 priority.
But I also feel for Bob Irwin Steve’s father to bury your kid can't be an easy and as much as Steve died doing what he loved just doesn't cut it with me.
Yes he did love what he was doing but his family was his #1 priority and as everyone else including myself thought he was invincible and nature proved otherwise.
I said it once and I will say it again the world was a much better place with Steve in it!
Im still having problems comming to terms with his passing....:(

I'm a firm believer that every person who has ever lived, is living now, and who will live in the future, has a specific purpose for being here. There should not be any question as to Steve Irwin's purpose in life. He shined a light on some of the animals that mankind has villified and perhaps not taken the time to understand. And he thought they were beautiful. I can remember one show that featured a female croc who had just laid her eggs. He went on and on about what a good mother she was and "isn't she a beauty?'. I don't believe I would have given a mother croc a second of thought had anyone else been narrating that story. But for a brief moment, I was able to see the animal through his eyes. That is perhaps one of the best gifts this man has left behind.

Don't get me wrong, I love animals. In fact, I have a fridge magnet that says "the more I see of people, the more I love my dog'. :p But my interest has been to the cute and fluffy, the warm & cuddly, the strong and beautiful etc. But Steve Irwin saw beauty and value in all in the animal kingdom. For me, that is what I take with me, since he has left this life.

I have a whole series of political cartoons that appeared in the newspapers all over the country the day after he died. If anyone would like them, please email me and I'll send them to you. They are all touching and wonderful.

[email protected]

Just a week prior I took this picture in Cozumel, Mexico. I have never seen one get aggressive but I have never gotten within 10' of one either. I will definitely be more aware of them now.

Last edited:
Just a week prior I took this picture in Cozumel, Mexico. I have never seen one get aggressive but I have never gotten within 10' of one either. I will definitely be more aware of them now.

I think that issue is that they are not normally aggressive. They only react when they are startled or frightened. As I understand it, this ray was laying under the sand as they do and Steve swam over it close to the sea floor. It was startled and the barb went up and pierced his heart. Without any doubt, an awful freak accident. He could have been hit anywhere, anywhere on his body, and it would most likely not have been fatal. But a punctured heart is usually not survivable.

One of the many 'tips' I've read since this dreadful thing happened is that if you are walking in shallow water, you should shuffle your feet in the sand so that if there are any rays laying underneath, they will get out of the way.

And God bless he dad, Bob. He's been doing all the interviews. My prayers for all of his family and friends.

I was at Australia zoo a few weeks ago and got a pic of him on my mobile phone. The zoo is a great place and he was.... no is a great person. I met him a couple of times over the years as the zoo is only an hour from where I live.
If anyone does come to Oz in the future make sure you do get to go to the zoo as it is well worth the visit.
The amount that he did for Queensland and Australia can never be measured. With the loss of Australias greatest motor sport icon so soon after the loss of our greatest ambassador we are doing it tough as a nation at the moment. Hope this one doesnt come in 3's for us.

Just heard on our local radio station that some folks are taking Steve Irwin's death to seriously in the fact that Stingray's are now target's of some poachers! The waters where SI was killed has been targeted, stingrays have been found dead with the tails cut off.

Just heard on our local radio station that some folks are taking Steve Irwin's death to seriously in the fact that Stingray's are now target's of some poachers! The waters where SI was killed has been targeted, stingrays have been found dead with the tails cut off.

Hopefully they'll get that stopped really soon Joe. You know Steve wouldn't have that at all.

I am still choked up over this a full week later. I have been a big fan of Steve Irwin's for six or seven years now and long ago came to the conclusion that this was a guy I wanted to meet. Going to Australia Zoo has been on my to-do list along with meeting Steve. I am afraid I am going to have to wait a lot longer than I had anticipated to meet Steve-o.

I admired him tremendously for all that he did and I can only hope that someone picks up his torch and carries on his work.

RIP Steve.

yes there were some rays that were mutilated a few hours north of brisbane at hervey bay..(where our dragster is based actually).
The memorial has been announced today. It is at Australia Zoo with seating for about 5 1/2 thousand people. tickets are being given away this friday. People are already lining up. It is apperantly going to be broadcast around the world live. They say its going to be a celebration rather than a memorial. It is next Wed the day after Peter Brocks state funeral. Sad couple of days coming up. They were saying it was going to be at a stadium called Lang Park which seats approx 45000 but he would have wanted it at his home. Fair call I reckon. Actually watching him on fox as I type playing with komodo dragons.

Cheers
Jason

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back