College Football rivalries (2 Viewers)

No Offense Tom, but I think Texas got Jobbed Bigtime over this! Of Course should Oklahoma lose to Mizzou this is all academic!
The problem with the "Texas got jobbed" argument is that it also applies to Texas Tech. It's a 3-way tie with each of the 3 teams beating each other. Head to head comparisons are relegated to being nothing more than a proverbial circular argument. Randy has it absolutely right with one small caveat; Playoffs will indeed fix the BCS but wouldn't do a thing for this once-in-a-generation 3-way split in the Big 12 South. I also put in a couple of slight edits in bold below.
Actually what put Oklahoma over Texas was the computer rankings because they gave OU a better strength of schedule by beating a ranked OSU (at OSU), as opposed to Texas beating unranked A&M (at Texas). If Texas thinks they should be ranked ahead of OU due to their head to head victory, then why shouldn't Tech be ranked ahead of Texas? This just confirms the saying that if you are going to lose a game, it is always better to lose earlier in the season than to lose late. The whole thing just goes to show how messed up the BCS system is. The only way to remedy this situation is to have a playoff.
Amen, brother! I'd like to see an 8 team playoff, seeded like a race bracket where 1 plays 8, 2 plays 7, 3 plays 6, etc. with 6 conference tie-ins (only for those with championship games... hello Pac 10 and Big Televen) and 2 wildcards. Reduce the regular season to 10 games, quarters are played at the higher seed's home, semis and finals are bowl games.

Oh yeah... one other thing. For all the yahoos that are harping on the OU/Texas on a neutral field thing I got news for ya, it's FAR from neutral if you're from Oklahoma. The game takes place in Dallas (yeah that Dallas, the one in Texas) right smack dab in the middle of the State Fair Of Texas. The only people that think it's neutral haven't been there.

Joe, I respectfully disagree. Since I'm originally from Oklahoma and have lived in Texas for 34 years, Texans AND Oklahomans both believe the Dallas/FW area to be neutral territory between Austin and Norman. It is so, trust me!

Speaking of Mizzou, calling Johnny Cerberus! Man, that Kansas-Mizzou game was a great one to watch for the non-Mizzou fan! It was exciting, but I couldn't help quizzing myself on how we could beat Kansas-who played a stellar game against Mizzou, and have been not only beaten but humiliated by the Tigers a few weeks earlier. At least your guys are still in the title game--and I'm guessing that makes the Texas fans even more bummed out. And believe it or not, the Huskers and the Tigers end up in a tie for the Big 12 North title...what a long, strange trip it has been this year!

It was quite an arm-wrestling match. I was at the game with my daughter and we enjoyed oursleves. It was her 18th birthday request....what a kid!

We dug a hole in the first half, fought our way back to the lead and then our lack of pass defense bit us in the butt again. There's something wrong with Chase Daniels this season. He threw more interceptions in the OK State game than he did all last season. Since then he's tossed several away...in each game. At this point I would consider him the most over-rated QB in the game. As a Tiger fan he's also our biggest dissappointment.

We'll get slaughtered Saturday against Oklahoma. I was going to that game but have since changed my mind. It won't be worth the effort...:mad:

It was quite an arm-wrestling match. I was at the game with my daughter and we enjoyed oursleves. It was her 18th birthday request....what a kid!

We dug a hole in the first half, fought our way back to the lead and then our lack of pass defense bit us in the butt again. There's something wrong with Chase Daniels this season. He threw more interceptions in the OK State game than he did all last season. Since then he's tossed several away...in each game. At this point I would consider him the most over-rated QB in the game. As a Tiger fan he's also our biggest dissappointment.

We'll get slaughtered Saturday against Oklahoma. I was going to that game but have since changed my mind. It won't be worth the effort...:mad:
I'm afraid you're right, John. As much as it pains my Husker psyche to say this..OU is looking great and in my opinion the best team in the country-certainly better than Bama (sorry Karl!). BUT, if the Tiger team that showed up to humiliate Nebraska shows up in KC against OU, it might just be a different story!

All I know is that Texas beat Oklahoma on a neutral site head to head. They're players/coaches/scoreboard were better than Oklahoma. If Oklahoma wanted to make this academic they should have took care of business. Thus we have the bru-ha-ha. But that's exactly what the folks at the BCS offices want.

Joe, I respectfully disagree. Since I'm originally from Oklahoma and have lived in Texas for 34 years, Texans AND Oklahomans both believe the Dallas/FW area to be neutral territory between Austin and Norman. It is so, trust me!

Well maybe so....but it seems every year around this time some team get Boinked over this BCS deal! As for Texas/OU for Texas to be ahead of OU and OU jumps over even with the Head to head loss I think is wrong.

I'm afraid you're right, John. As much as it pains my Husker psyche to say this..OU is looking great and in my opinion the best team in the country-certainly better than Bama (sorry Karl!). BUT, if the Tiger team that showed up to humiliate Nebraska shows up in KC against OU, it might just be a different story!

The team that beat your Huskers doesn't exist anymore. I go to every Mizzou game and I've watched a steady deterioration of the team. Our offense isn't as strong as last year and (worst yet) our pass defense is the worst I've seen in years. It'll be a blood bath for my Tigers.

Here's the story...just before our home loss to OK State we were a win away from the #1 AP ranking in the country. If we lose to Oklahoma (which we will) we'll drop out of the Top 25 and go to a meaningless bowl game...again. What a free fall this has been. I love Gary Pinkel and the work he's done in rebuilding our program, but his record against ranked teams is terrible. We still aren't able to play with (or beat) great teams. We're a mid-level team at best.

All I know is that Texas beat Oklahoma on a neutral site head to head. They're players/coaches/scoreboard were better than Oklahoma. If Oklahoma wanted to make this academic they should have took care of business. Thus we have the bru-ha-ha. But that's exactly what the folks at the BCS offices want.

And if Texas wanted to make this academic all they had to do was beat Tech, but that didn't happen, so they put themselves in the situation that they are in. Again I ask, why should Tech be penalized and be ranked below Texas, when in fact they beat Texas? The only reason they are ranked below Texas is because they lost so late in the season. If Texas hadn't lost so late in the season they wouldn't have to be concerned about who the Big XII South champ is. If Texas fans are going to use the head-to-head result as an argument then they need to look at the Tech game also, since it is a head-to-head loss.

If Texas hadn't lost to Tech you'd have a point. If Texas wanted to make this academic then THEY should've taken care of business.
Well maybe so....but it seems every year around this time some team get Boinked over this BCS deal! As for Texas/OU for Texas to be ahead of OU and OU jumps over even with the Head to head loss I think is wrong.
If Texas hadn't lost to Tech you'd have a point.
Compare the Texas/OU scenario to a drag race...who gets the wally? Its not the car that got beat is it? 45-35
lol... comparing football to a drag race? C'mon Tim that's really stretching it, don't ya think?

I just don't get where everybody is dismissing the Tech loss. If Blake Gideon hadn't dropped that gift of an interception none of this would even be discussed. Oklahoma lost control of their own destiny when they lost to Texas, Texas lost control of their own destiny when they lost to Tech, Tech lost control of their own destiny when they lost to Oklahoma.

Hey, it sucks... no doubt about it. But that's the ***** of a 3-way tie where each of the 3 teams involved beat each other. The conference has to go all the way to the fifth tiebreaker to figure the representative of the Big XII South.

Ok, coulda shoulda woulda, I know, but the Huskers almost (should have) beat Tech and once again found a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory--but we were thoroughly humiliated by Mizzou and OU.....what's that all mean--I have no idea--I guess it means I'm glad we didn't have to play Texas this year!
Tom Burgess, here's a story you might get a kick out of. On the day of the OU-Nebr game, a group of us were standing out on the porch enjoying the nice weather and finishing a beer before going in to watch the game. Someone inside yelled, "the game's starting". We continued conversing and finishing the beer for a few minutes more. I said, "we better get in there or we'll be down 21-0 before we start watching." And when we went in the house, damned if we weren't!!!!!

okay, just read spoiled children are willing to give up a time out a half against UCLA so both teams can wear 'home' uniforms this weekend, just like the good old days... that's pre '82 for you kids...

I think it's a class move on their part... afterall, it is a home game for both teams... and UCLA is good to go with it.....

d'kid
condoms vs state bares... only in SoCal....:eek::D

The worse part is we now get a Big 12 championshp game between OU and Mizz and Texas beat both of them. How is that right? It sucks.

I think UT got a raw deal. However, if they had showed up before the 4th quarter in the Tech game adn handled business it wouldnt have mattered. And they got lucky to beat OU b/c I think OU is the best team outta the 3 but still.

Now I will have to suffer thru a OU/FL Nat Championship game. Go Gators!

The worse part is we now get a Big 12 championshp game between OU and Mizz and Texas beat both of them. How is that right? It sucks.

I think UT got a raw deal. However, if they had showed up before the 4th quarter in the Tech game adn handled business it wouldnt have mattered. And they got lucky to beat OU b/c I think OU is the best team outta the 3 but still.

Now I will have to suffer thru a OU/FL Nat Championship game. Go Gators!

I wouldnt give the SEC to the gators just yet. Alabamas defense just might have the Tebow answer. And dont forget the Saban factor. You think he's not preaching the no respect sermon this week. Should be a hell of a game--and by the way OU can forget hanging half a hundred on either.

I wouldnt give the SEC to the gators just yet. Alabamas defense just might have the Tebow answer. And dont forget the Saban factor. You think he's not preaching the no respect sermon this week. Should be a hell of a game--and by the way OU can forget hanging half a hundred on either.

I've said it for 2 years now and I will say it again, Alabama is overrated. There Def is good but there offense sucks. I just dont beleive they are that good of a football team and I think FL will score 40 on them.

If OU and Florida play, it will probably take half a hundred to win the game :)

I'd like to see a Florida/Oklahoma matchup

then bama v penn state (perhaps the overrated bowl :))

Texas vs usc

I would like to see Ball State, Utah, Boise state and Tcu get to mix it up with some bigger teams.

Once again, teams with losses will take center stage while the undefeated go to the American Standard Toilet Bowl. I guess Oklahoma would much rather face the Gators and Tebow any day of the week than Boise State anyway?

The BCS has a lot in common with the NHRA from a Wilkerson perspective, I guess?

I also find it ironic that Urban Meyer gets to play for the brass ring when his old team goes undefeated and plays in the salad bowl.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back