Burgess OCIR Story (1 Viewer)

Brian Pearson for one. Phil now races a rear engine mazda powered dragster these days.

And Mike, as I remember you were racing a cream colored Camaro with a black vinyl top.......but that's been a few years ago and .....uhh...what was I saying ???:p....geez.......about 34 years ago.......
I remember the first tim I ran brackets there I ran dead on my dial and Mary Langford beat me.......

Last edited:
Mike:

I sure do miss your Pinto station wagon. Bob Frey's 1978 Aspen had nothing up on you.:D

RG

John, that was a couple of weeks ago. What was the question?(LOL)

I see Mary at the races every once in while. Her nephew Shawn Langdon, has done pretty good in Super Comp(Ya Think)

Randy, you get a pinto wagon with wood grain on it and nothing else comes close(LOL)

I see Mary at the races every once in while. Her nephew Shawn Langdon, has done pretty good in Super Comp(Ya Think)

Randy, you get a pinto wagon with wood grain on it and nothing else comes close(LOL)

Mary comes by at the Las Vegas races once in a while and is always good for a hug.

Besides the cream white paint and wood grain, how many days after the race did you leave the white shoe polish "dial-in" on your window? I had a 1960 Corvette daily driver that I raced from time to time that I drove to work and college. I remember one Wenesday night OCIR had very good air and I dialed in a mind blowing 12.98 (I ended up running a 13.06). I left the dial-in on it for a week. :D

RG

I made the offer of any place, any time but Steve always back pedeled(LOL):eek:
I don't remember Steve ever backing away from a race with the Pinto. Remember, my good friend Steve would DRIVE the Pinto to Indy and race in W/SA, then drive back to Huntington Beach.

Gotta love that.

I entered won Bracket 1 one week around 1977 . I always thought that was a larger accomplishment than all of my "pro" sanctioned motorcycle "national" event wins and records. One tall order after another in Bracket 1. I put Ralph "Taillights" Thomas out in the semis and thought he was the toughest racer I ever beat. I don't know if a motorcycle has ever one Bracket 1 before or since.

I had so many favorites. The American Rik shaw, Butch Bradley's Chevelle and to me, the staple of OCIR, the white V8 bug. Has a dealer been more involved in sportsman/local Drag Racing than Wilson Ford?

I also worked (volunteered) on the Enfield Fire Truck. I occasionally wore the suit. I had the experience of pulling Les Leggett out of his burning car one Saturday night. Robbie Flournoy was on the "hose".

Guys, for the record, I always, without exception, stayed behind the "yellow line".:D

Sammy is still badass racer these days. He just built, yes he built, a topless 68 camaro to run S/C & S/G for his son.

Ultimate sleeper!!!!!!!!!!! What about John Marcos toyota carolla station wagon with the bog block chev in it that ran 9's?

Ultimate sleeper!!!!!!!!!!! What about John Marcos toyota carolla station wagon with the bog block chev in it that ran 9's?

Wasn't there a Metropolitan at OCIR with a BBC in it ?? I think Phil Cameron had it for a while. As I remember it was sold to somebody in Alaska.
Wasn't there a Chevy Nomad station wagon with an Olds Toranado engine & tranny in the back....called Chevarado or something like that.
That was a FUN time with OCIR & Irwindale runnig Wednesday night. Then Ontario of Friday night,OCIR on Saturday night and Irwindale on Sunday. And on the freeway any time day or night you'd see a drag car on a trailer going somewhere.........wild !:)

Sammy is still badass racer these days. He just built, yes he built, a topless 68 camaro to run S/C & S/G for his son.

I totally forgot about that car!

As many huge Pro Drag Racing moments happened at OCIR, they pale in comparison to the week to week cars and stories.

I just got back from LVMS Divisional. Ronnie Marcum came by to say Hi. He was an old OCIR bracket one racer.

I walked over to Ed Sigmon's pit behind mine to tell him how much I liked his first street roadster with the engraving of grapevines in the polished aluminum and plexiglass from the 1970's. He says he still has it because he just can't get rid of anything LOL.

Here's some names:

Rick Abood, Richard Adkins, Carl Smith, Steve White, Humble John Hoisington, Charlie Marcum, Lefty Martin, Dick (and Linda) Kreiger (sp) [everyone liked to watch them cool their dragster down...ask Mike English why], Roger Lang, Paul Weichman (sp), Andy (Smiley's Converters) Gerien (sp), Frank and Lena Williams, Tom Hutcheson and Steve Hope, Steve Laburn, Junk Yard Ed Vickroy, Bob Rheel, Jake the Snake, John Foreman, Greg Oliver, and who drove the 1963 Chevy Nova called "The Other Woman"?

RG

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back