Bristol's Concrete Work Coming Along! (1 Viewer)

Bruton Smith doesn't screw around! Just removing the old concrete was a major effort in itself, and they've already placed the rebar and are going to pour concrete tomorrow. Being in the contracting business, I can tell you that they are working at an absolutely unbelievable pace.

Bruton Smith doesn't screw around! Just removing the old concrete was a major effort in itself, and they've already placed the rebar and are going to pour concrete tomorrow. Being in the contracting business, I can tell you that they are working at an absolutely unbelievable pace.

That being said, do you think it'll be raceable when July 6-8 rolls around?

That being said, do you think it'll be raceable when July 6-8 rolls around?

Don't want to overqualify myself on the matter. We pour 2' x 2' x 2' concrete pads for automatic gate operators. We can usually pour one day and then bolt down a gate operator the next. However, we don't run the gate operator at 330mph, so I guess I don't have the answer, lol.

Don't want to overqualify myself on the matter. We pour 2' x 2' x 2' concrete pads for automatic gate operators. We can usually pour one day and then bolt down a gate operator the next. However, we don't run the gate operator at 330mph, so I guess I don't have the answer, lol.

I bet you had to fix some that someone hit thinking they were clear.

Normally concrete has a max strength in 28 days of p[roper curing (using a concrete spray on cure or lots of water to keep it cool). Then they have to grind the surface, then media blast it. once that is done then they have to start adding rubber to the surface. I hope they put some type of leeching system to remove the water from under the concrete if water peculation is a problem.

Chuck
PAE

The concrete should cure within 30 days to it's total strength. With the right mix it should have 3/4 of it's strength in less than 7 days. The slab looks from the picture to be about 6" thick with #4 bars. I wonder if the last slab used a curing compound instead of a wet cure. Could the curing compound cause the surface not to stick?

Chuck, Iwondered the same thing about water under the slab. The photos don't show any sub drain system or vapor barrier.

Yes Charles it appears that they removed (chipped or milled out 6 to 8 inches). Then they put down #4 or #5 rebar. It appears that the old concrete base is still intact (No leaching system appears in place). What I don’t understand is why they also did not key in the rebar to the base and the edges with epoxy dowels. With out the dowels the concrete will more than likely lift or move around as the seasonal weather changes ground temps. Another thought is also if (now that not a big IF) moisture gets between both layers it will also freeze and lift the top layer. Now the big "IF" water intrusion is now occurring thru the old slab it will flow between the new pad and the old. If they use bonding film before the new slab is poured it will still separate as we all know that new concrete will not make a watertight bond. So I am thinking this is the beginning of a lot of money spent as a temporary fix. I can almost say the slab problems will grow worse after 1 or 2 season’s temperatures have its effect on the concrete. BTW I am a construction Inspector and I would question the designer of the repair methods, but when the photo's were taken maybe they were not yet finished with the repairs?

Chuck
PineApple Express Racing.

Chuck/Charles - any thoughts on the right way this should have been done?
Removing all of the concrete, stabilizing and compacting underlayment and using stressed cables instead of rebar? I don't think 700 feet of a monolithic pour on top of another slab is going to be a solution.
Both of you seem to have a lot of concrete knowledge - let us know!

There is not another pad there that is the ground. The dirt work under it was not the problem this time. The dips at the tunnels were fixed at in the first go-around, thats the only ground problem they had. And thats not the concret that caused the first re-pour this year.

Man it is so pretty there. I need to go there sometime. That has to be the most scenic stop on the tour..... AFTER Denver of course! :D

Drove out last Saturday (5/19) to take a look....... guys are doing an awesome job.
Tix for this race for sale in the lounge

There is not another pad there that is the ground. The dirt work under it was not the problem this time. The dips at the tunnels were fixed at in the first go-around, thats the only ground problem they had. And thats not the concret that caused the first re-pour this year.

Just looked at the photos Jeff. I had no idea they were replacing that much concrete. Or are the pics deceiving? How many feet are they pouring?

On Bristol's website they have a photo showing the poly blankets in place to help the curing process. That will help. I think laser grinding could be next to get a flat surface, and then the final prep work would happen. I think, by whats happened this year, there will be a very good track there again.
I would say, by the drivers comments during qualifying, they will all talk about it's smooth surface, and almost feel slow.

Good Luck to them !!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back