BP, Castrol, and JFR. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't forget the government is pretty pissed at BP's non response to the things they were told to do after the Texas City explosion.

Blow out?? What do you think it is doing now? :) In case you have read something that has confused you, it is total open flow now........E]

No, It is not. According to BP.

How bad can the spill get? - Cosmic Log - msnbc.com

BP has already spent north of $350M and will spend much more. This will be a real test but I personally see them pulling through. Like was said earlier, the dollars being spent on JFR pale in comparison to the big picture spending BP is involved with on a regular basis.

OK, But I think we are seeing the very tip of the iceberg, hope I'm wrong.......

REX

Last edited:
wish they'd tell the public how large an oil field is leaking - can't imagine
BP is not making every attempt to close this leak and restart production
from this field.

From your own report:

Philip Johnson, a petroleum engineering professor at the University of Alabama, said that estimate is way beyond what could actually happen. He said that amount of oil flow would have to be sparked by a "hugely bizarre event," such as the kind of undersea earthquake you might see in a Clive Cussler thriller.

"It's an extremely high rate," he told me. "I don't believe that's a realistic upside to that well."

From your own report:

No, I did not write, nor was quoted in the article.

Philip Johnson, a petroleum engineering professor at the University of Alabama, said that estimate is way beyond what could actually happen. He said that amount of oil flow would have to be sparked by a "hugely bizarre event," such as the kind of undersea earthquake you might see in a Clive Cussler thriller.

"It's an extremely high rate," he told me. "I don't believe that's a realistic upside to that well."

Selective reading (and quoting, out of context) Mel. A little further ATTEMPT to comprehend the article........will reveal, that by BP's own projections, the spill could reach 60K barrels per day. Mr. Philip Johnson later on gives a more conservative estimate of 20K barrels per day. You are referring to the aforementioned 162K barrels per day.....the "hugely bizarre event".

No, we are at 5K barrels per day now, by Philip Johnson's conservative estimate, we could see a quadrupling of the flow, or what by BP's own 'conservative' estimate would be 60K, a twelvefold increase.

Please reread, and get back to us:);)

REX

No, I did not write, nor was quoted in the article.

No, you just put the link for reference.....

Selective reading (and quoting, out of context) Mel. A little further ATTEMPT to comprehend the article........will reveal, that by BP's own projections, the spill could reach 60K barrels per day. Mr. Philip Johnson later on gives a more conservative estimate of 20K barrels per day. You are referring to the aforementioned 162K barrels per day.....the "hugely bizarre event".

No, we are at 5K barrels per day now, by Philip Johnson's conservative estimate, we could see a quadrupling of the flow, or what by BP's own 'conservative' estimate would be 60K, a twelvefold increase.

Please reread, and get back to us:);)

REX

Now you play your own game........"conservative" is not even close to realistic. Perhaps you will show me production numbers from a well that has ever been close to those "conservative" numbers. :)

Now you play your own game........"conservative" is not even close to realistic. Perhaps you will show me production numbers from a well that has ever been close to those "conservative" numbers. :)

From what I understand (but I am definitely not an expert,) most of the established and producing wells have to be pumped and that production slows with the pump jack. They don't usually just keep flowing indefinitely because of the geology of the oil rich layers. I think estimates are just that, but because of the location and the fact that there is internal pressure and external (sea floor,) this well is spewing.

You are right Georginna, estimates are just that. My point was that the numbers that are being thrown around 162K, 60k, are mind boggling. That is just what happens. The mind gets boggled and really smart people say really dumb things like "conservative". There is nothing conservative about those numbers. ;)

You are right Georginna, estimates are just that. My point was that the numbers that are being thrown around 162K, 60k, are mind boggling. That is just what happens. The mind gets boggled and really smart people say really dumb things like "conservative". There is nothing conservative about those numbers. ;)

Gulf Coast expands oil-spill emergency response - MarketWatch

Sigh......... Ewwwwwwwww Kayyyyyyyyyy.

So what part of 'by BP's own estimate", seems to not be getting in?

BTW, BP this morning stated that right now, oil is flowing at 2.4 gallons per second. Heard a spokesman state that this morning.

And all along, they are stating "we have NEVER tried this at this depth", or "never tried this before", period. Heard it again this morning.

And the relief wells are by their own estimate, still up to "90 days from being operational and stopping the leak"?

For the life of me........ I cannot figure where this is really not concerning you, or you insist on putting rose colored spectacles on over this.

I am as conservative as one can get, and can't stand over the top tree huggers, but this deal, has REALLY caught my eye. This is BS.

OK, lets see in three months (that would also be two into the hurricane season), and then we will see where we are:cool:

REX

Gulf Coast expands oil-spill emergency response - MarketWatch

Sigh......... Ewwwwwwwww Kayyyyyyyyyy.

So what part of 'by BP's own estimate", seems to not be getting in?

BTW, BP this morning stated that right now, oil is flowing at 2.4 gallons per second. Heard a spokesman state that this morning.

And all along, they are stating "we have NEVER tried this at this depth", or "never tried this before", period. Heard it again this morning.

And the relief wells are by their own estimate, still up to "90 days from being operational and stopping the leak"?

For the life of me........ I cannot figure where this is really not concerning you, or you insist on putting rose colored spectacles on over this.

I am as conservative as one can get, and can't stand over the top tree huggers, but this deal, has REALLY caught my eye. This is BS.

OK, lets see in three months (that would also be two into the hurricane season), and then we will see where we are:cool:

REX

You continue to miss my point.....The numbers you are referring to "if the well blows out" ?????????? (And this is what I called you on)
!) are not conservative
2) are estimates
3) are wacko :)

I am not sugar coating this incident or looking through glasses (rose or otherwise). It is a terrible event that does not need ENHANCEMENT.

If we have learned anything about oil companies over the years is that NOTHING will stop business as usual. We, the consumer, will wind up paying for it one way or another. Either the oil companies will use is as a spurious excuse to raise prices, or they will do a half-a$$ job cleaning it up and the government will get involved with our tax dollars. Not to mention the price increase you are about to see for seafood in the gulf region ...

The ONLY thing it has to do with politics is that no politicians who want to stay in office in the gulf region will take a stand against big oil.

You continue to miss my point.....The numbers you are referring to "if the well blows out" ?????????? (And this is what I called you on)
!) are not conservative
2) are estimates
3) are wacko :)

I am not sugar coating this incident or looking through glasses (rose or otherwise). It is a terrible event that does not need ENHANCEMENT.

Well Mel, I give up.

Let's see what happens as they keep screwing around with this "incident":cool:, with no idea what to do.

I have plenty other scientific based resources to point you towards on how this could increase in volume (all by itself, actually), but the old saying......"falling on deaf ears", comes to mind.

Have a nice day:)

REX

2010 Nightmare Deepwater Horizon

Scroll down for some inferno pics and info.

quite a website; visit it often.........eye opening to read that BP was planning
on temporarily abandoning the well and in process of being capped.
really makes you wonder how the politics of oil works when we now watch
this seemingly endless flow of oil from the ocean floor.

also read the story about early april grounding of chinese ship on great barrier reef.........captain of ship lost passport and faces ozy jail time.

oh, and john force (thread still in nhra :rolleyes:)

Last edited:
quite a website; visit it often.........eye opening to read that BP was planning
on temporarily abandoning the well and in process of being capped.
really makes you wonder how the politics of oil works when we now watch
this seemingly endless flow of oil from the ocean floor.

also read the story about early april grounding of chinese ship on great barrier reef.........captain of ship lost passport and faces ozy jail time.

oh, and john force (thread still in nhra :rolleyes:)

OH..........uh, Yeah, JOHN FORCE!!!:eek:

Aww, heck, I get side tracked too.......

Anyway, latest is that BP has lost about one fifth of its value since this all started on April 20th (30 billion dollars).

THAT, is a chunk 'o' change.

Even though I still plan to use syntec in all my family cars and trucks, and GTX20W-50 in my blown mouse, I wonder if this is affecting BP gas and oil sales in the US at all?

Of course in the short haul, the buying public has a very short memory if a price looks good;).

BTW, I read an article in the NYT online this morning, that we are ALREADY at 20-25K barrels per day, and have been for some time.

REX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ways To Support Nitromater