Bob miner (RIP) and story (3 Viewers)

sutton

Nitro Member
I was just informed that Bob Miner passed away. Bob was a great top alky funny car racer and engine builder. Years ago at Fremont Bob was making a run in his TA/FC on the run the frame broke in half just in front of Bob's feet holding the gas pedal wide open. Just past the finish line the car went off the track to the right as it started rolling in the dirt with Bob in the roll gage with the rear end and tires. Bob would at times be running with everything on his back. he got beet up but nothing major. I was there racing my car and saw it happen. It was hard to believe.
RIP Bob
Larry Sutton---🤠

Last edited:
Thanks, Larry. I heard about this today and couldn't believe it.

Bob's presence was felt around the pits at every event when he was servicing his MBR customers. While making the rounds in the pits he always had time to say "Hi" even though I wasn't a customer of his.

I told Dennis Taylor today after hearing about Bob that one thing that always stuck out in my mind about Bob was that, while there was a bridge right in front if him, Bob built his own bridge his own way and was very successful. I always had a lot of respect for him and considered him a friend.

Bret Williamson, a long time customer of Bob's, told me he was brought to tears over the news. One by one we are losing great people in the sport.

Randy

Larry; I was there at the fence that day at Fremont about 400 feet out, almost in front of me, when it broke in half. The back of the body shot up over the cage and went right, while the cage with rear end wheels and Bob were now right in front of me. As you said, and to me it looked like slow motion, Bob was sort of balanced in cockpit with his feet sticking out.....he reached up and pulled the brake handle and his feet dropped forward and yes it looked like he started to run ! He immediatly let off the brake, it rolled back to level but he pulled the brake again for a repeat, ran again, it leveled out again and he let go of the handle and crossed his arms to ride it out and went off the left side. The safety guys skidded to a halt over on the right side of the track, then realized he wasn't there !! People on the other side were screaming over here ! He was at the track the next day when they released him and he told me he must have blacked out and couldn't remember a thing about any of it including pulling the brakes twice ! One year he needed a get away from the shop, flew down to Dan Diego, jumped in the truck and went along on our annual Brainerd/Bowling Green/Indy trip. He kept us all laughing, going to really miss him! RIP to a good friend.............

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back