A tribute to NHRA's Bob Daniels (1 Viewer)

ProStockJunkie

Nitro Member
The following message is from Barb Hamilton who asked that it be passed along. For anyone unfamiliar with Barb, back in the 60's, she, along with the her partner Nancy, built and campaigned an NHRA record holding C/GS Willys coupe.Barb was the first woman ever licensed by NHRA to drive a supercharged car. She is a member of the Hall of Fame

"Bob Daniels from NHRA has some health problems that are life threatening. I have been in contact with his family quite often lately and was down to see him in Florida about two weeks ago. He is having some major organ failures and because of his age, transplants are out of the question.

I have talked with his son Dave a lot lately. Famed race car builder Mike Spitzer, Bob's family and many friends are building a replica of Bob's Firefly fiat that he and Eileen raced back in the 50's and early 60's and are going to have a surprise presentation at the US Nationals in Indianapolis this Labor Day. NHRA is going to honor him with an award at that event also. But - We (the racers) would like to hear from as many people that know Bob Daniels from when he was NHRA Division III director in the 60's back in Marysville, Ohio and also from IRP (Indianapolis) the many years he ran that park. He was responsible for the building of a number of dragstrips throughout the country during his tenure with NHRA and I know a lot of people know him. He, Eileen and Steve Gibbs are also responsible for the Hot Rod Reunions at California and now Columbus this year that we all enjoy. Bob has an unreal history with NHRA and has devoted his life to the sport of drag racing. He has reached a time in his life that he needs to know how much his efforts have meant to so many of us.

We would like to surprise him with a huge card (6 ft tall). We would like the people to write a note on a 3x5 card thanking Bob for his endeavors and send a small photo of their old race car to me. We would take everything that we get and attach it to that oversized card, filled with signatures and stories and photos by many of his friends from all across the country and perhaps buy a really good watch and have it engraved. I have been to his home and it is filled with trophies and plaques - I need something different to do and would be open to all suggestions and help to pull this off by the US Nationals."

If you do have anything to contribute, please email Barb at [email protected]
Thanks,

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back