Bob Frey is another drag racing "Epitome of Cool"!!! (1 Viewer)

Wayne

Nitro Member
For the Seattle National, I'd planned on finding Bob Frey and donating to his "Sit In" for DRAW. Friday I spaced out but Saturday night I'm wondering thru the pits very late and I see him coming my way on his scooter. I stopped him and gave him a $20 donation. He took down all of my info & we chatted a bit then went our separate ways. Sunday morning, I happened to spot him @ the media trailer and snapped a couple of quick pictures. Unfortunately I'm having issues uploading a pic here???

Seattle Sunday 8/5/12 - Wayne310's Photos

My friend captioned this pic perfectly: "It's HIM!!!!.... that guy with the camera, go kick his ass!!!!"

Anyway, in yesterday's mail, I received a small hand addressed envelope with no return address. I assumed it was junk until I opened it. Promptly had a small heart attack as I read it the hand written "Thank You" card:

"Wayne, Just a quick note to say "Thanks" for your donation to my "Sit In". It's folks like you who make this a great sport. See you at the races! Sincerely, Bob Frey"

Was that awesome or what!!!
I know it's not that big of a deal, but to me, it shows how much he loves our sport and how much HE contributes to our enjoyment of NHRA Drag Racing!!!

Trust me, the other two guys in that shot are no danger to you.

Left to right, that's ace photographer Dave Kommel of Auto Imagery and behind him is none other than the seldom photographed Rick Green who is the head poobah for FastNews and who rides herd (or herds cats) over the reporters at Drag Race Central.

You are absolutely right about Bob. Not only does he have one of the best minds in drag racing, he is an exceptional person.

Wayne, thanks for sharing that with us. That just shows how great a guy Bob Frey really is.:)

My son and I went to the 2010 Supernationals at E-town as part of a US trip to NYC. I'm from Sweden and spend a few hours each year as a track announcer for national races as well as for the European Championship races and thought it'd to be a novel idea to try for an exchange of a few words with Bob. I figgered WTH, I can only get a no as an answer so I inquire at the media center about a chance to talk to Bob. The main lady in charge "at the gate" was extremely professional and polite and promised to pass the request on upstairs.

"Well, it was worth a try"... But low and behold, Bob comes down for a very pleasant talk and we were at it for some 20 minutes discussing announcing, keeping track of data, European drag racing and his experience from Santa Pod in the UK. The nitrocars start up in the background so "sorry, gotta run".

At the 2011 Gators I was part of Katie Sullivans PSM team and happened to run into Bob as we crossed paths running around up in the tower stairwells. I obviously figgered he did not have a clue to who the hell I was, he was really rushed and I only got halfway into an intro but he immediately had my name in place and where we met the year before. I got about 15 seconds to pass on info about the attendees from Europe both on track and up in the stands which he later passed through the microphone.

I can hardly remember who I saw in the mirror when brushing my teeth this morning. Bob Frey has my utmost respect.

I knew Bob before he worked for NHRA. He was an announcer at motorcycle events and published a racing paper that I advertised in.

At the Texas Motorplex, one time, he came and asked me for one of my catalogs. He took it up in the tower and during dead time, he starts to read from my catalog over the PA.

He put the funniest spin on all of it. It was hilarious listening to it.

He was always a great guy.

Lots of awesome people in this sport, Bob is a 1 percenter. Met him a couple times, he's just a super guy. And the knowledge he has about drag racing is just unreal.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back