Are You Kidding Me?? Bob Bode Getting A Raw Deal!! (1 Viewer)

mike

Nitro Member
Going into the last session for FC qualifying, Bob Bode was on the bump spot. Bode was bumped from the field just before his final run. The rain came in and put an end to Bob being able to make a pass. How the hell do the NHRA allow times from a non-completed session? Those times from the non-completed session should have been scrapped, Bode put back in 16th and Brother Tony back out of the field. What a joke.

POMONA 2 - Funny Car Qualifying Notes, Final Session

That's been a rule for many years and I have never understood it. If an entire session isn't run then no part of it should be counted.

This is bull ****....full session or nobody's time should count...How is that fair?? Complete bull ****..

There are 10 Top Fuel cars that got beat out of their last chance too. Rules is rules.

Ian, that is true that 10 Top Fuel teams did not get their final chance at qualifying, but what Michael is pissed about is different than the above. Bob Bode was bumped out by someone in Session 4 that was never completed, yet the session was run part way. So, why do any of the times count if not everyone who was eligible and in Bob's case, was shutoff while preparing to run. Top Fuel never had a 4th session. Funny car did. Seems like their maybe should be a rule for something like this, even though I am NOT in favor of more rules. ;)

There are 10 Top Fuel cars that got beat out of their last chance too. Rules is rules.

That is true Ian, and I'm not going to argue about the TF field, that was set fair. FC however is a different story, the session was not completed and those times should not be allowed. IMO, that is not fair and Bode got screwed!

*Edit. You treed me Kurt. :D

Last edited:
That's been a rule for many years and I have never understood it. If an entire session isn't run then no part of it should be counted.

On the other hand....considering how much it cost to make a pass, should every team that fears it might rain, just load them on the trailer fearing that the ENTIRE field won't get a run in???

Seriously, weather can change in a minute.

Gotta chuckle about this post... They had 3 sessions to figure it out, they didn't, so they screwed themselves. Nobody else is to blame.

What exactly should you be upset about?

I only felt bad for Leeza Diehl ... it was frickin' cold in Pomona today for Q4 ... and she was out there in very short shorts (freezing to death I am sure) to back up Jeff Diehl. Thank you Leeza, we appreciate the effort :)

As for Funny Car, no matter how it played out there was going to be someone p!ssed off. You either have to pretend TPed's run never happened (not fair to him) or certify that it did (not fair to Bode). I see both sides, but I am inclined to go with the quick 16 no matter the circumstance, but that's just me.

Last edited:
Thank's for all the support. This was just one of them times when luck was not on our side. Graham Light came over and apologized to us. The track temp was 62 deg and it would take at least an hour and a half to dry the track when it stopped raining. There is a 7:00 curfew and it was 5:30 at that time and the rain was still coming down. Tomorrow we will be back at the track starting to get ready for next year.

Last edited:
Gotta chuckle about this post... They had 3 sessions to figure it out, they didn't, so they screwed themselves. Nobody else is to blame.

What exactly should you be upset about?

TPed got 4 sessions to get in and Bode got 3 sessions... That is the problem... Just another example of an NHRA mistake.

So if you were lucky enough to get in a pass at $10,000 per and the NHRA throws out your run, how is that fair? I think Bode got screwed by the weather not the NHRA. Crap happens.

Half of you people seem to forget that we are no longer a world that acknowledges and rewards/punishes risk taking. Everything must be fair. So even if the rules are clear in the rule book and you choose to play the game, evidently is it still correct to feel screwed by them.

Half of you people seem to forget that we are no longer a world that acknowledges and rewards/punishes risk taking. Everything must be fair. So even if the rules are clear in the rule book and you choose to play the game, evidently is it still correct to feel screwed by them.

Post of the day!

Maybe with the rain coming we should have just told everybody to go home.

There was a situation a few years back where a Pro Stocker wasn't in the field and there was a front coming. We started the session and got a couple of pairs run. This guy (I'll call him Alan) got a run and got in the 10th spot. When it started raining, Alan rushed to the tower to make sure his run would stand even though everybody didn't get to run. Alan was told that it would stand, and was very happy to be in the show. It didn't bother him a bit that the other cars didn't get a chance. Two hours or so later when the front cleared out we dried the track and started running again. The conditions had improved dramatically and he ended up getting bumped out. Alan then wanted a chance to run again because "Everybody else got to run in better conditions than he did and that's not fair"

The racers all understand what the rule is. I hate it for Bob, but the runs that are made will always stand. It has happened before, and it surely will happen again.

Alan

its an unfair rule but its an accepted rule and has been in place for awhile

i must confess i'm always looking forward to that big red font explaining how the NHRA is not at fault or was right !! u are a trooper sir ! :p

As a Bob Bode fan and supporter yes it was a raw deal, everybody wants 1 more chance and I think Eugene hit the nail on the head , **** happens , yes i am VERY disappointed that they got shut off , and didn't get the chance to bump back in and go racing on sunday ,,,, but noise curfew and weather are out of everyones control at an event , so i guess we will have to live with it as there were many races this year where weather cut qualifying short

SO I will still be the #1 Bob Bode fan in Lake County Illinois , and it's sad to say we will have to wait for 3 months for another nitro fix from my favorite team :mad:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back