best story ever on comp. plus (1 Viewer)

I remember the days of race car thrashes in hotel parking lots. In 1971, my dad took us all to Indy, he was running A/A at the time. I could write a book about the memories generated from that weekend. It was a little no-name hotel, the Mayfair I think, and I'll never forget, I was stoked when I saw the Mongoose pull in to set up camp, remember this was during the Hot Wheels era, so staying at the same place as McEwen was huge for a 9 year old. Anyway, the nights were awesome, and I remember my dad doing exactly what was posted here, totally rebuilding the car in the lot and using the bathtub to wash parts. The whole room turned into a shop. It was an awesome time. I also remember Tom hoover staying there that weekend.

Then there was "Jungle Bobbie" (Jungle's 1st wife) and Barbara, Coil's then lady, who brought in some extra Winter money by dancing in the topless bar. It was a very interesting place! And I know I don't know the half of it!!!!

Wow, those were the days, where was the topless bar, right in the hotel or somewhere else?

Someone needs to get a bunch of those older guys together and write the "Marco Polo Chronicles"

Most of us older guys that stayed at the Marco Polo, and later down south on Harbor at the Pitcairn, can't remember (chemicals & age), or still have wives or children that wouldn't like the stories. We were all there in 1971 for the 6 am earthquake. Many girls without too much clothes on standing around outside waiting for the shaking to end. (still remember that!);)
There were many "interesting" people from all over the US gathered in one place for weeks, one year I got to meet and spend some time with "Broadway Freddy" at the Pitcairn. He showed up with smoke coming out of the rear end in the Ford ramp truck, I took him to U-haul to rent a Ford 350 ,and then helped him switch the housings in the trucks , the U-haul had newer brakes too!
The good old days:eek:

So the Chi-Town that was at Cordova last summer:

Is related in what way? If any..click for bigger pic.

Attachments

• 2.ChiTown2.jpg
    2.ChiTown2.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 4.ChiTown.jpg
    4.ChiTown.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 30
I have no idea what years it was but I clearly remember seeing the Chi-Town Hustler run a few times at Cordova when I was a kid. I remember my dad always telling me to watch that car because it always ran so well. Wish I could remember more but I was probably between 9 and 11 years old then. I just wanted one of those cool Rislone stickers to put on my bedroom door! :D Maybe Jim Notch might remember, our families spent a lot of time together back then.

My dad told me several years ago that the first time he saw the name "Austin Coil" on a car (probably late 60's at Union Grove or Cordova) he didn't know if it was somebody's name or the brand of an ignition coil. Nobody else seemed to know either.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back