best story ever on comp. plus (1 Viewer)

handsome

Nitro Member
check out the story on comp plus about the chi-town hustler. i love your web site bobby, but too many repeat stories about todays racers. i really liked this one because of the "historic" photos.. this was a time when real tuners and real drivers could make a name and EARN respect without showing up with a big check to buy a championship. i guess you could call it drag racing's version of cindarella.

Great story....

Here's an Idea.... let Mike drive the replica car on the "bought in show" circuit...

Just read the story, and I must say it was a GREAT read! Its good to read about days gone by, especially for me cos I wasn't around back then to experience it.:)

Bruce, thanks for the heads-up. Great story. I remember being at Indy that year when Hawley & the gang won the Bud Shootout. I also remember the ramp truck. Now that running the full pull of 23 events requires so much manpower and $$$$$$$, does anyone feel a modern day version of a fuel car circuit (like Coke Cavalcade way back) could do well? Seems like todays nitro stars are too expensive and time-restrained to match race, but there has to be a demand for nitro funny cars at many tracks. I remember when I lived in Phoenix in the mid 90s that Charlie Allen had a booked in FC show at Firebird. One year Force was there, maybe '97, with Tony P, and 6 other fuel cars. I believe there were alky cars and CIFCA cars too. The place was packed as much as his national event.

Didn't that ramp truck have gold anodized wheels and chrome?

Remember the team's appearance at the 1982 North star nationals, when they won the inaugural event.

I managed to find a photo from the next year's (1983) event:
Here's a link to the photo.

(edit)Correction by Wayne Minick, who oughta know!!!!!:eek:

Last edited:
Great photo, but's it's from 1983. That's me sitting on the chassis and Larry Wolyniec standing in front of the car. The car was still red in 82 when we won the Northstar Nationals, the Team Strange deal didn't start till 83. The truck had chrome wheels.

Thanks for the correction Wayne. You're right of course.:eek:

Gettin' old. Memory is the second thing to go. Can't remember the first......:confused:

I remember the Dodge crew cab box truck from the '70s. Was it still the same one they are talking about in the article? I am assuming so.

Yes it was the same one. That was the only truck we ever used till we got the 18 wheeler when I started driving.

at least there wasn't ANY mention of sushi in that article:D .... sorry t.j. if you read this, i just couldn't resist

Great story....

Here's an Idea.... let Mike drive the replica car on the "bought in show" circuit...

i cant karl.....i dont have any sponsorship money to bring to the table :D :p ......plus the old man is still the driver in the family right now and i got an older brother in front of me....i am merely relagated to the position of grunt...btu hey thats nothing to complain about :D :cool:

In my book, the best Chi-Town was the original, with Pat Minnick driving. We had great fun with those guys in Fremont, Sacramento and L.A. They spent the winter in Anaheim, at the infamous Marco Polo motel, across the street from Disneyland. Some great stories came out of that place! Pat Minnick was one of the most un-likely looking F/C drivers I've ever seen and is one of the nicest guys in the world!

Wayne - Welcome to the board! Care to expound on Frank's comment about Coil not liking the way he (Frank?) drove the truck? Now, there must be something really good hiding behind that statement!

In my book, the best Chi-Town was the original, with Pat Minnick driving. We had great fun with those guys in Fremont, Sacramento and L.A. They spent the winter in Anaheim, at the infamous Marco Polo motel, across the street from Disneyland. Some great stories came out of that place! Pat Minnick was one of the most un-likely looking F/C drivers I've ever seen and is one of the nicest guys in the world!

Hi Pat

What does a funny car driver look like? LOL I am sure he will be glad to hear that!!!

Who is Randy working for these days?

Wayne - Welcome to the board! Care to expound on Frank's comment about Coil not liking the way he (Frank?) drove the truck? Now, there must be something really good hiding behind that statement!

There was a lot of technique involved in driving that old truck. It would run with the big trucks, but didn't stop worth a damn, so you had to be able to down shift and use the two speed rear end along with gettin after the brakes in a panic stop situation. I am sure that Frank must of scared Coil a time or twelve. Frank didn't like driving the truck anyways, if he was in it he would just as soon be asleep. When I started going full time in 81 Frank didn't have to drive the truck anymore, Coil and I did the driving.

i cant karl.....i dont have any sponsorship money to bring to the table ......plus the old man is still the driver in the family right now and i got an older brother in front of me....i am merely relagated to the position of grunt...btu hey thats nothing to complain about

Wayne... awh come on, let the Kid drive the Beast...

If you guys do right coast swing... call me, I'll do grunt work right alone with Mike... :D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back