Balooshi Officially Named Driver (1 Viewer)

I don't give a dang whether it IS the current, and future, state of things. I hate how drag racing has become a sport of "buying in." And hit me, if you must, with all the comparisons to other sports ... even other racing. That it's all about the gitas, and whomever's bringing the most to the party gets to spin the steering wheel. I still don't give a dang.

Something elemental and very important is getting lost here. And if indeed this "money" approach to drag racing was actually working, why is attendance dropping? Why are old timers like me fleeing the sport? Why aren't kids showing interest?

Because professional drag racing's no longer about a small, tight-knit group tuning a car on some kind of an actual budget and then, winning. It's all about corporate sponsorship and huge, vastly-funded teams. And they rule the sport like Rosie O'Donnel at a buffet. :D

People, whether they're in Des Moines or Adelaide, don't relate to corporations. And they don't relate to a guy who's so rich he can literally do ANYTHING he wants. They relate to someone like them, someone who has to bust their arse to get what they want. This statement is dead on.

And no, knee-jerkers, this has nothing to do with nationality. It's about a sport finding a way to appeal to the fans they're supposed to be entertaining. And it ain't there anymore.

Call me a nostalgist, heck, call me whatever you want. But drag racing is dying a death so painful to watch I can't stand it.

Doc

I'm with you Doc!

You know I was thinking about what Marc said, And i may need some help on this, but when TF was first beginning in the late 50's, it seemed that the means to climb all the way to the sports top class was not very difficult to due, and I don't know if that's because of money or what. I am more getting at was the cost to race all out with a top fuel car more expensive, less expensive, or the same in terms of inflation of today vs. then. Did you need to be well off in the 50's to race TF like you need to be today?

five i believe is the answer.

congratulations to k. al-balooshi on being named driver of the
gold al-anabi dragster.

I have 5 as well.

Blaine Johnson (Alcohol)
Gary Scelzi, Tony Schumacher, Larry Dixon and Del Worsham (Top Fuel)

And they are the favorites for next year ... no disrespect to the other competitors in Top Fuel ...

Is anybody besides me having a hard time not harkening back to a guy wearing a pork-pie hat and singing "I'm a soul man..." or dressed in a bee costume or screaming "cheeseburger, cheeseburger, chip, chip, chip -- no Coke, Pepsi"?

You know I was thinking about what Marc said, And i may need some help on this, but when TF was first beginning in the late 50's, it seemed that the means to climb all the way to the sports top class was not very difficult to due, and I don't know if that's because of money or what. I am more getting at was the cost to race all out with a top fuel car more expensive, less expensive, or the same in terms of inflation of today vs. then. Did you need to be well off in the 50's to race TF like you need to be today?

It cost the same...everything you have

Damn another one of those worse kept secrets! I guess the speculation is over for the Al-Anabi team the field is set!
Should be interesting to see how this team does.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back