Baca talks about Cost of Racing (1 Viewer)

I cant remember who I heard say it , but 15-20 years I recall someone (maybe Garlits) saying:
"Drag racing will make you a million-aire IF you start out with 2 million".

Your talkin Pro stock Motors, that's a different animal. Not sure who all builds TF/FC Blocks and heads. But what does a Brad Anderson Stage 5 Fathead go for $40,000? I know that's an alky motor, are TF/FC longblocks twice that? I'm curious

Block $8,500
Heads with studs, springs, valves, $9,500.
Manifold $2,000
Screw Blower and drive $12,000
Injector, barrel valve $4,000
Ignition $5,000
Rocker assemblies $4,100
Camshaft $700
Lifters $600
Pushrods $400
GRP rods $1,000
Pistons $720
Pins $1,000
Rings $300
Bearings $250
Oil Pan $700
Rear main seal $5
Head gaskets $70
RCD crank support gear drive $3,000
Bryant Crank $3,000
Taylor bag $1,200
Fuel pump $1,800
Plumb Fuel system stuff $1,000
Dry sump pump $1,000
Mag drive $1,500
Burst panel assemblies $600
Misc fasteners $500
Headers $800
Blower belt $180
Blower drive stuff, pulleys, pump extension, etc.$2,500
Valve covers $800
Misc gaskets $100
Plug wire set $175
Spark plugs $24
Spark plug tubes $160
Breather brackets $250
Injector modifications and other top secret stuff $2,500

Someone to put it together for you....priceless!

Total complete Top Alcohol engine assembly: $70,254 plus almost 8% sales tax here in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia = $5,620 for a grand total of $75,874 less shipping and handling. Some assembly required.

Add to top fuel engine: Second ignition, second fuel pump, titanium valve cover restraints, different valves, set back blower instead of screw and other related parts.

RG

Maybe Baca was referring to a complete, ready to run engine…. hat to pan.

I’m not sure what the stuff costs but with a completely assembled engine block, heads, intake manifold, injector, supercharger and dual magneto setup I could see $80,000.

At one time I had a list of what the engine parts cost for a fuel engine. (of course I cant find it) However, It’s several years old by now. But if my memory is correct, I think the dual mag setup alone is over 10K.

I remember in 2002 at the US Nationals when Big Daddy was running SW31 for the first time in many years. (he ran Clapshaw’s car the year before at Indy) I was sitting in the stands watching top fuel qualifying on Saturday (I think it was Saturday) when Big made his pass and clicked it early. When he got out of his car, the guy doing the track PA system interview (it might have been Allen R, But I’m not sure) said to him “Hey Big, you clicked it early” Big said “Yea, my crew chief told me to” then the announcer said “C’mon…. since when did you start letting crew chiefs tell you what to do” Big said “since these engines started to cost nearly 100 grand…. that’s when!!”

Needless to say…. I’m sure we all remember….. Big got in on Saturday’s last session but was bumped out on the next pair by Yuichi Ohyama (sp) But Swamp Rat 31 went over 300mph for the first time!! That was cool!!

Man, what a great race. Sorry to get off track here but I had to tell the story about Big clicking it early because the cost of a fuel engine.

Brian.

EDIT: Randy G. beat me to it. I clicked "Post Reply" then walked away from my computer for a while before I typed my reply.

Last edited:
Block $8,500
Heads with studs, springs, valves, $9,500.
Manifold $2,000
Screw Blower and drive $12,000
Injector, barrel valve $4,000
Ignition $5,000
Rocker assemblies $4,100
Camshaft $700
Lifters $600
Pushrods $400
GRP rods $1,000
Pistons $720
Pins $1,000
Rings $300
Bearings $250
Oil Pan $700
Rear main seal $5
Head gaskets $70
RCD crank support gear drive $3,000
Bryant Crank $3,000
Taylor bag $1,200
Fuel pump $1,800
Plumb Fuel system stuff $1,000
Dry sump pump $1,000
Mag drive $1,500
Burst panel assemblies $600
Misc fasteners $500
Headers $800
Blower belt $180
Blower drive stuff, pulleys, pump extension, etc.$2,500
Valve covers $800
Misc gaskets $100
Plug wire set $175
Spark plugs $24
Spark plug tubes $160
Breather brackets $250
Injector modifications and other top secret stuff $2,500

Someone to put it together for you....priceless!

Total complete Top Alcohol engine assembly: $70,254 plus almost 8% sales tax here in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia = $5,620 for a grand total of $75,874 less shipping and handling. Some assembly required.

Add to top fuel engine: Second ignition, second fuel pump, titanium valve cover restraints, different valves, set back blower instead of screw and other related parts.

RG

DAMN!!!!!!!!:eek:

It is the age-old racing adage: The only way to make a small fortune in racing is to start out with a large one.

And let's not forget to mention that the article reads "He will need 7 engines." It's a few more then that. We keep 5-7 in the trailer alone. That doesn't count the motors we rotate in to the trailer from the shop.

His numbers are accurate. I know because we spent three years figuring out what they are.

Makes you wonder just how well off dollarwise some of these independent racers are. Anyone who can afford to throw away $30-40,000 per race on those cars aren't hurting for cash that's for sure!

when they need to qualify, just to pay the expenses of going to that race....they are hurtin'

That is a good article. It really gives the fan a view into the cost's of racing today. There's two things that it left me wondering though. What is today's cost compared to recent years - say 2000 & 2003? Also, where do they see the biggest cost increases coming in the next 3-6 years? Fuel, parts, salary/benefits? That would make for a fascinating read on the economics of racing. Maybe they'll do a follow up? :confused:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back