kj's fast, very fast! (1 Viewer)

Paul,

You make a great point. Warren just doesn't view driving as a skill. He's been disrespectful of Glidden, Allen, Jeggie, Connolly, Alderman and Geoffrion. Those guys were great 'drivers' and have a winning history against WJ.

With the parity in Pro Stock you need to be able to drive. Warren builds great motors but needs a driver and a crew chief to win.

John, for a Mopar guy you sure seem to know quite a bit about Warren. Me thinks you should focus on Mopar guys, because you don't know the man at all. Disrespectful? I think not. Drivers are competitive, just like any other athlete, and trash talk comes with the turf. FYI, Warren actually has a very good relationship with most all of the current, and previous, pro stock drivers. If Warren didn't speak his mind, and stir the puddin' every so often, what would the internet message board readers have to vent about? Face it, Warren keeps it interesting.

As far as needing a driver, Warren may be old, senile, and feeble, but you know what? He is having the time of his life right now. And, if that's what he wants to do.....well that's just fine in my book! How many of us can make the same claim?

Concerning the "out of work" drivers, well, maybe if they actually owned their ride, like Warren, they too could still be out there having a good time. Sometimes you have to invest in your own future!

Pat

I'm guessin' warren would not be interested in hiring conolly primarily because that would hinder KJ's chances of ever winning a championship and kurt already has to get by Jeg & greg in order to win it all and having dave with wj power under the hood would be akin to shooting oneself in the foot !

I've got a great idea:

"Mr. Great Reaction Time" can start out in a modest shop and build his own equipment to the point that the factory of choice will actually hire him to design and build each of their new superior power-plants. Then, after designing these new superior engines he can put them in his own cars and compete with the best in the world for years while a continual stream of young bucks with awesome reaction times or even ex-employees can step into a another ride that uses the very designs "Mr. Great Reaction Time" came up with to beat them using some rich sponsor's money rather than expertise. Wouldn't that be fun?

There are some awesome drivers out there. Some are even on the sidelines for one reason or another but the "Professor" is continuing to develop and design superior products to the liking of both GM and his competitors. Plus, he still gets to drive his life's work and for some reason, he still has his sponsors happy. Isn't that the real name of the game?

WJ is still having fun and making a pretty decent living in the creation business, not to mention the fun he's having competing at the top of his class in his 60s. Every time I meet with him, he's still smiling. I think that's what really matters. Let's not decide what he needs to be successful until he asks us-especially since he's still the winning-est Pro Stock driver in history.
All this while doing his "own" work in his own shop with his son and some select friends. I know from personal experience that it's an awesome life doing things that way.

Last edited:
I'm not a Pro Stock guy. But when I was growing up watching the Diamond D vids WJ's racing attitude and top end interviews with Steve were great. WJ is another who speaks his mind and isn't afraid of what people think, this is why I'll always hold WJ up at the top. Remember that classic burn down in 94 I'd like to say it was, could be wrong, and Buster shutting them down... and the interview with WJ afterwards "I don't have to stage first" Classic stuff.

I hope he has a better season this year.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back