attention NHRA announcers (1 Viewer)

Professor Dave

Nitro Member
When announcing comp or any other sportsmen class, PLEASE DO NOT indicate who had the better light until the race is over. Who had the better light is very valuable information that can be passed onto the driver via radios that many sportsmen teams have. I know we do and you can bet that my driver or my teammate would make good use of that info.

When announcing comp or any other sportsmen class, PLEASE DO NOT indicate who had the better light until the race is over. Who had the better light is very valuable information that can be passed onto the driver via radios that many sportsmen teams have. I know we do and you can bet that my driver or my teammate would make good use of that info.

some stockers still have FM radios in them, and I would guess they are tuned to the track's broadcast. Maybe I should put the radio back in the car

Dont think anouncing the reaction times in Comp is going to help or hurt anything..there is no break out...

In other sportsman catagogies ....the reaction should and probably are not being anounced until after the race.

Only thing that matter in comp is the win light and how much you just got CIC...

Just guessing, but in Comp, If a driver is trying to protect his index and knows he got treed, he's going to lift instead of taking the line.

Dave,

It has been policy to NOT announce reaction times until the race is over for several years, both on the National and Divisional race level for the very reason that you mention.
Everyone that announces on the National event level should be attuned to that fact as I am sure most are.
I have been busy today at the division 4 event in Ennis and didn't listen to the audiocast, but if there was a situation today send me a PM and I'll advise on whom to contact.

BTW Dave, I contributed your check to Lynn Nickerson to all of the activities going on here this weekend, and we did have a very successful fund raiser for Lynn.
RFC Chaplain Steve Haynes had an opportunity to go visit Lynn yesterday and gave a report that he will be off chemo for a few weeks and will also be consulting with his first Dr. in Oklahoma to come up with a game plan for additional treatment. Thank you for your support and care!

Unk

Dont think anouncing the reaction times in Comp is going to help or hurt anything..there is no break out...

Only thing that matter in comp is the win light and how much you just got CIC...

And you want to save as much CIC as possible. We lost the final in Comp at Indy last year by .0074 of a second. we would have one by .0026 of a second if we had saved .01 in CIC.

Dave,

BTW Dave, I contributed your check to Lynn Nickerson to all of the activities going on here this weekend, and we did have a very successful fund raiser for Lynn.
RFC Chaplain Steve Haynes had an opportunity to go visit Lynn yesterday and gave a report that he will be off chemo for a few weeks and will also be consulting with his first Dr. in Oklahoma to come up with a game plan for additional treatment. Thank you for your support and care!

Unk

Glad to hear Lynn is better

don't you guys know about I-card yet? It gives you all the run info from reaction times to incrementals to margin of victory!!! who cares what they announce anymore with info like this available?

And for the Sportsman eliminators the I-Card information is delayed until the win light comes on.

Larry is correct, in the sportsman classes the info doesn't hit the I-Card until after the cars cross the line.

I announce the reaction times in COMP because it can't affect the outcome of the race. You are either getting there or not. Unlike in say Super Gas, when knowing that you are holding 5 would be VERY useful information, that certainly would have an effect on the race.

Alan

Larry is correct, in the sportsman classes the info doesn't hit the I-Card until after the cars cross the line.

I announce the reaction times in COMP because it can't affect the outcome of the race. You are either getting there or not. Unlike in say Super Gas, when knowing that you are holding 5 would be VERY useful information, that certainly would have an effect on the race.

Alan

Then I'll be listening and passing that info on to Lee and Al to know how much they have to play with at the top end. Remember I can do math very fast.

But Dave,

It won't effect the outcome, they will try to get there and tighten up the stripe either way. Would you drive differently knowing that I was Holding 3 than you would otherwise?

I'm not arguing, I'm asking.

Alan

But Dave,

It won't effect the outcome, they will try to get there and tighten up the stripe either way. Would you drive differently knowing that I was Holding 3 than you would otherwise?

Alan

If I'm racing someone that I KNOW is holding 3-5..... I will do the same.. hold 2-3 and dump IT HARD at the 1100' and turn him lose..

I agree with Alan. Since there is no break out you have to take the stripe. Now how much of stripe you take is up to the driver. Take an F/ED running and A/D. The F/ED can't afford to lift when the A/D is charging him that hard. Now if the A/D has problems on the run I can see where radios can come in to play to save a CIC. I could see a better advantage of having a team member with a radio at 1000' to let the driver know what to do.

But Dave,

Alan

I know Lee is very good at driving the top end of the track and it would affect how he drives-it would confirm what he suspects in terms of what his light was. I suspect guys like Rampy and the Biondos would love to have that info as well. Rampy is normally chasing so how it might help him is that it's a bit of info that could tell him he is catching someone sooner because of the light advantage rather than him being on a run where he might do damage to his index. And David is very protective of his index, so yeah it would be useful info for him.

As far as what Peter Biondo would do, who knows. Some of the stories that Sal has told about what he brother does in a race car are almost as funny as some of the comments you make about geography-come on, I know people aren't map geeks like me, but Alan, nobody can be that bad.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back