Ashley Sanford in Australia (1 Viewer)

flapjack

Staff member
Nitro Member
Looks like she did well today. I hope things gel for her and AJR in terms of sponsorship. Alan has a good eye for talent and tunes a mean car.

She made it to the final and according to Shane Sanford her car went Boom at half track.

Just Curious what it cost American money per day for a ticket and how many top fuel cars do they have?

Just Curious what it cost American money per day for a ticket and how many top fuel cars do they have?

Eugene, ticket prices are around $25-$30USD

There are around 12 fuel cars in the country, only six were running on the weekend just gone.

3:90’s wouldn’t even get you in the show here in the states!
Low ET was 3.83. Aside from Ashley, whose best ET was 3.93 (in the heat of the first round I might add), every driver had a best ET in the 3.8s at the event.
A few things to consider. This was run on a 'all run format'. Teams had some open testing the day before, then a test run in the early afternoon of race day (only one team came out in the heat). From then on every round was a race round - they didn't have four sessions of qualifying to experiment with, play with tune ups or take a risk. Every round needed a win light. Every round had changing conditions, from a hot first round with the sun beating down to a tight track at night.
It's a different proposition to your standard NHRA national event weekend.
That all said, it's apples and oranges. Teams in the USA race at many more events, while the larger nature of the sport there allows for higher budgets too. We could also throw in track prep as worth consideration. Though Willowbank's is generally the best in Australia, it still doesn't have 32 fuel cars running up and down it all weekend for that top end rubber.

Still, it's Australia, there are lots of good things to see. I want to go to Byron Bay - Aussies know there is a good reason for that, lol
I agree it’s a beautiful country, I lived there for years!
Go to Cairns it beautiful! Surfers Paradise, Goldcoast!

I had the opportunity to sit down with Ashley Sanford at Willowbank on the Friday test day and ask her about 2019, working with Alan Johnson and some advice she would pass on to any young racer looking to advance in the sport of drag racing. She's a fine ambassador for the sport who's already experienced racing in Australia, gaining valuable seat time and learning resilience in the sponsorship/racing world.

Check it out:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back