Ashley Sanford announcement? (1 Viewer)

I love these old stories...

Me too. Randy's stories happened before I was born, 2,000 miles from where I lived, I have no idea who most of the principals in the story are and I still find it fascinating. It's pretty cool to see where our fellow Maters got their start and developed their passion.

We need to have lunch some time...

In 1972-1973 I worked at Bob and Dave's Texaco at Mulberry and La Mirada Blvd just down the street from Colima and Lambert where your brother's station was. It's also a strip center now.

We used to find our races while cruising Whittier Blvd between Colima and Washington Blvd from 1974 to 1976. We'd head for Lambert or the Box Factory in Santa Fe Springs to race. I had a dark blue 1960 Corvette with a white vinyl top and it kicked a lot of butts back then.

I knew John Moreland from the parts dept at Board Ford and actually had him screw up a couple Holley Carbs for me, but I was friends with his brother Mark who was a heavy line mechanic at Board Ford (now a vacant lot). Mark had a 1970 Chevelle big block with a 400 turbo that was a real sleeper. As it sat it ran 12.20's.

10:00 one night (probably 1975) Mark Moreland told me to park my Corvette at Bob's Big Boy and take a ride with him. Off we went to the Box Factory where he stopped his Chevelle. He said "I'm going to show you something but you can't tell ANYONE! I felt like saying I wasn't that kind of guy! He started the car, got up to about 10 miles an hour, nailed the gas and off we went. NICE! Then he makes a u-turn, slows to 10 miles per hour, hits the gas again and reaches under the dash and flips a switch. The car blew the tires off, went completely sideways, straightened out and took off like a bat out of h#ll. I about crapped my pants. He pulls over and says two words I never heard of before except at the dentist...Nitrous Oxide. WOW! He made a lot of money suckering people in with that car. LOL

Jay Steel was a sponsor of my first TA/FC, and back in the early 1970's when he was on Greenleaf behind Dave Schenk Dodge I had him rebushing rods for me. I spoke to Barbara Taylor at the WACC car show about a year ago and she's doing fine. Chris bought her out (Taylor Engine Rebuilding/Taylor and Ryan's) and shortly after that the whole thing went out of business. Shame.

That lawnmower shop...was that Ralph's Garden Equipment? If so, it was owned by Ralph Kato. I went to school with Ron Kato who was Ralph's son (he was two years behind me) and I would see him at Pomona from time to time when I was still racing my TA/FC. In fact I saw him at the finals a few weeks ago. When I was in jr high I went there to see about getting a Briggs and Stratton engine for a mini bike I wanted to build. JC Agagjanian's grandson lived across the street from me so I ended up with a King-o-Lawn mini bike. Just as good as a Taco 44 mini bike.

If you cruised Whittier Blvd a lot you probably remember "Stick City". I think it was at the corner of Ocean View or Calmada and Whittier Blvd on the southeast corner across from Jim Child's Buick. Norm (Rabbit) worked there. When Stick City closed he open "Street Rods" in La Habra on Whittier Blvd near Beach, and it closed many years ago. Now he owns "High Line" which is behind Lombardo's Jacksons-Napa in Brea. I see him from time to time and have seen him at the Barrett Jackson, Mecum and Russo and Steele auctions on TV. I had my 1957 Corvette at the Newport Beach Russo and Steele auction last year with a reserve price on it. Norm asked me what the reserve was so I told him. The bidding went up to the reserve but didn't meet it so I didn't sell. Later Norm told me "I tried to help you out!" I told him to be careful bidding because I almost lifted the reserve and he would have owned my car! He's a great guy. I think he was the first person to tell me to not deal with that crook, Larry Buchanan. Now there's a name for you.

Last derail, I promise.

Ralph's was the place. I was friends with Ron. He used to bring his 70 BOSS 302 in the station and he and a couple of others that worked there all became friends. We sit up at Ralph's and when the cops showed up he'd get his ID out and they'd say have a nice night. Ron worked with his dad at the manufacturing plant down behind Taylo0r when they were on Byran Rd. and Daniel and Mikey ran the retail store on Whittier Bl. I haven't seen Ron in close to 30 years, nice to know he is still around. They lived over on Broadway just off of Colima at the time.

Always wanted a Taco 44 but had to settle for a Taco 22 since it was cheaper.

I remember Stick City (or maybe it was Street Rods) when it was on a little dirt lot at Whittier and Lindesmith on the east end. I used to ride my bike down there and look at the cars. Every time we would pass it my dad would always remark how dumb he thought it was to "jack them up" like that.

It sounds like you're about 6 years older than me but we definitely know some of the same people.

DM about lunch.

To Quote my Fav. Movies:

"Chris... I Am Your Father..." :oops::eek:o_O

Que: The Death Star.... and difficult breathing

Darth Vega aka d'kid (Let me give you a hand)

Last edited:
Lot's of space left on the internet . We can wonder all over the place and still be on subject . Drag Racing .
Ashley can come on and Give Britney a run for it . It's all good .

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back