Ashley Sanford announcement? (1 Viewer)

One of the Sanford Racing Crew lives two blocks behind me.....they fired up their alky sand digger there a few times....then I would fire up my injected alky altered....the city crew in La Mirada loved us.....

One of the Sanford Racing Crew lives two blocks behind me.....they fired up their alky sand digger there a few times....then I would fire up my injected alky altered....the city crew in La Mirada loved us.....

Are you talking about Troy or Ed (Grandpa)? Both are in La Mirada. He fired it up at the elemetary school at Hermosa and Egerer in Fullerton a few years ago. The neighbors loved it. Shane wasn't bashfll about firing up the T/F sand dragster in his back yard, either. LOL

Are you talking about Troy or Ed (Grandpa)? Both are in La Mirada. He fired it up at the elemetary school at Hermosa and Egerer in Fullerton a few years ago. The neighbors loved it. Shane wasn't bashfll about firing up the T/F sand dragster in his back yard, either. LOL

back in the 90's I had a guy 10 houses down from me that had an Alky FC, I heard him fire it up 3-4 times. Once was at night when it dark with Halogen lamps on his Driveway, it's amazing how loud that stuff is away from the track. He didnt hold back either, he would zing that motor to 6-7,000 a couple of times! One time I was there when he fired it up and two cops pulled up less than a minute after shutting it off! He thought he was toast, turns out the cops were at a convienience store and heard it! They drove around looking for it, they told us that didn't sound like a street car...lol

There were lots of drag racers in my area, I remember a Thursday night onetime I was running my car setting up new carb and àll the sudden F/C fired up then a comp car. People in our area loved us especially on Thursday.

When I was in school I worked at D&J Auto Parts in Whittier. This was back in the early 1970's (I know, I'm old). Across the street was a super market, and behind the supermarket was the street that Steve Condit lived on. Gene Beaver, Steve and his brother Dave ran the "L.A. Hooker" funny car. Once a month there were funny car match races at either Orange County International Raceway or Irwindale, so once a month either Friday or Saturday morning we were treated to the sounds of the L.A. Hooker driveway test n' tune before they loaded it and left for the races.

55LAHookerMustang-vi.jpg

When I was in school I worked at D&J Auto Parts in Whittier. This was back in the early 1970's (I know, I'm old). Across the street was a super market, and behind the supermarket was the street that Steve Condit lived on. Gene Beaver, Steve and his brother Dave ran the "L.A. Hooker" funny car. Once a month there were funny car match races at either Orange County International Raceway or Irwindale, so once a month either Friday or Saturday morning we were treated to the sounds of the L.A. Hooker driveway test n' tune before they loaded it and left for the races.

I used to ride my bike and later motorcycle by his house when I was a kid hoping to get a glimpse of the car.

I still miss D&J. Started going there in about 76. I worked at my brothers gas station in the area and I was always going over to D&J for something.

I used to ride my bike and later motorcycle by his house when I was a kid hoping to get a glimpse of the car.

I still miss D&J. Started going there in about 76. I worked at my brothers gas station in the area and I was always going over to D&J for something.

One of my crew guys and still long time friends is Big Mike Buonocore who worked D&J's machine shop when I worked there. He left and went to work for Sonny Bryant for a while when Sonny was still running his pro stocker (years before he started building crankshafts). I just saw Mike Woodward two weeks ago. He was 1/2 owner of D&J, and now lives in La Habra Heights. Dick Wiens died of cancer about 3-4 years ago, and owned Delta Auto Supply in Placentia when he died.

I left D&J in 1976 to work for Chrysler's NuCarPrep where I got to know Dwayne Lidke (Lidke and Zeller T/F with Stan Shiroma, driver) who won Seattle in 1977. Even though Dwayne worked for Chrysler he ran a cast iron head big block Chevy engine, and when they closed Irwindale Raceway, Shiroma held the TF track record set in the early 1970's at a 5.82. Because the track closed it's a record that will forever stand. Leon Fitzgerald worked there too. He drove the Pure Heaven II AA/Fuel Altered:

1209p.gif

Which gas station did your brother own? I think I delivered parts to all of them while I was working at D&J. You might have visited A-Auto Parts, too, which was around the corner at Santa Gertrudes and Imperial in La Mirada. Ron Anderson was the owner, and now works for John Lombardo, Jr at his "Jackson's Napa Auto Parts" store in Brea as his field customer service rep.

The area had a lot of racers. Jim Dunn used to have the "Dunn Reath" funny car body out on his front lawn when they lived on De Alcala near Valley View and Rosecrans. We used to cruise by and see if we could check it out. Steve Plueger moved to La Mirada off Leffingwell and built several of Force's funny cars there before telling Force he was done.

One of my crew guys and still long time friends is Big Mike Buonocore who worked D&J's machine shop when I worked there. He left and went to work for Sonny Bryant for a while when Sonny was still running his pro stocker (years before he started building crankshafts). I just saw Mike Woodward two weeks ago. He was 1/2 owner of D&J, and now lives in La Habra Heights. Dick Wiens died of cancer about 3-4 years ago, and owned Delta Auto Supply in Placentia when he died.

I left D&J in 1976 to work for Chrysler's NuCarPrep where I got to know Dwayne Lidke (Lidke and Zeller T/F with Stan Shiroma, driver) who won Seattle in 1977. Even though Dwayne worked for Chrysler he ran a cast iron head big block Chevy engine, and when they closed Irwindale Raceway, Shiroma held the TF track record set in the early 1970's at a 5.82. Because the track closed it's a record that will forever stand. Leon Fitzgerald worked there too. He drove the Pure Heaven II AA/Fuel Altered:

1209p.gif

Which gas station did your brother own? I think I delivered parts to all of them while I was working at D&J. You might have visited A-Auto Parts, too, which was around the corner at Santa Gertrudes and Imperial in La Mirada. Ron Anderson was the owner, and now works for John Lombardo, Jr at his "Jackson's Napa Auto Parts" store in Brea as his field customer service rep. <snip>

My brother had the Mobil station at Colima and Lambert from the late 60's to 78, I worked there from 76-78 when it closed (now a strip mall). The kids I worked with were a real group of racing "experts", what we lacked in knowledge we made up for in having fun. Twice weekly visits to OCIR or Irwindale, I even had my schedule so I was off on Tuesdays (work on the car) and Wednesday (go to the track). Cruising "The Boulevard", we only knew Whittir Bl and didn't even know there was any other place to cruise. Like I said "experts" We did have a front row seat for the cruising as a friends family owned a lawn mower shop on the boulevard so we could park all we wanated to and not get run out by the police.

I was a long time customer/friend with Jay Steel and John Moreland. John still has a place in Santa Fe Springs but I haven't seen him in years and Jay past away about 5 years ago. I Started going to Jay when his shop was up behind the SAAB dealer on Whittier Bl. and I meet John when he went to work at Board Ford. I still have a 351W sitting in the garage that they built for me all wrapped up in plastic like I got it from them, it never ended up in a car (yet).

In those days our main parts stores were D&J, Valley View, and A-Auto. Now Jackson's is about the only real parts store in the area. Also had several friends who worked for years at the Jackson's when they had one in La Habra. Things have really changed here, some good and some not so good.

My brother had the Mobil station at Colima and Lambert from the late 60's to 78, I worked there from 76-78 when it closed (now a strip mall). The kids I worked with were a real group of racing "experts", what we lacked in knowledge we made up for in having fun. Twice weekly visits to OCIR or Irwindale, I even had my schedule so I was off on Tuesdays (work on the car) and Wednesday (go to the track). Cruising "The Boulevard", we only knew Whittir Bl and didn't even know there was any other place to cruise. Like I said "experts" We did have a front row seat for the cruising as a friends family owned a lawn mower shop on the boulevard so we could park all we wanated to and not get run out by the police.

I was a long time customer/friend with Jay Steel and John Moreland. John still has a place in Santa Fe Springs but I haven't seen him in years and Jay past away about 5 years ago. I Started going to Jay when his shop was up behind the SAAB dealer on Whittier Bl. and I meet John when he went to work at Board Ford. I still have a 351W sitting in the garage that they built for me all wrapped up in plastic like I got it from them, it never ended up in a car (yet).

In those days our main parts stores were D&J, Valley View, and A-Auto. Now Jackson's is about the only real parts store in the area. Also had several friends who worked for years at the Jackson's when they had one in La Habra. Things have really changed here, some good and some not so good.

We need to have lunch some time...

In 1972-1973 I worked at Bob and Dave's Texaco at Mulberry and La Mirada Blvd just down the street from Colima and Lambert where your brother's station was. It's also a strip center now.

We used to find our races while cruising Whittier Blvd between Colima and Washington Blvd from 1974 to 1976. We'd head for Lambert or the Box Factory in Santa Fe Springs to race. I had a dark blue 1960 Corvette with a white vinyl top and it kicked a lot of butts back then.

I knew John Moreland from the parts dept at Board Ford and actually had him screw up a couple Holley Carbs for me, but I was friends with his brother Mark who was a heavy line mechanic at Board Ford (now a vacant lot). Mark had a 1970 Chevelle big block with a 400 turbo that was a real sleeper. As it sat it ran 12.20's.

10:00 one night (probably 1975) Mark Moreland told me to park my Corvette at Bob's Big Boy and take a ride with him. Off we went to the Box Factory where he stopped his Chevelle. He said "I'm going to show you something but you can't tell ANYONE! I felt like saying I wasn't that kind of guy! He started the car, got up to about 10 miles an hour, nailed the gas and off we went. NICE! Then he makes a u-turn, slows to 10 miles per hour, hits the gas again and reaches under the dash and flips a switch. The car blew the tires off, went completely sideways, straightened out and took off like a bat out of h#ll. I about crapped my pants. He pulls over and says two words I never heard of before except at the dentist...Nitrous Oxide. WOW! He made a lot of money suckering people in with that car. LOL

Jay Steel was a sponsor of my first TA/FC, and back in the early 1970's when he was on Greenleaf behind Dave Schenk Dodge I had him rebushing rods for me. I spoke to Barbara Taylor at the WACC car show about a year ago and she's doing fine. Chris bought her out (Taylor Engine Rebuilding/Taylor and Ryan's) and shortly after that the whole thing went out of business. Shame.

That lawnmower shop...was that Ralph's Garden Equipment? If so, it was owned by Ralph Kato. I went to school with Ron Kato who was Ralph's son (he was two years behind me) and I would see him at Pomona from time to time when I was still racing my TA/FC. In fact I saw him at the finals a few weeks ago. When I was in jr high I went there to see about getting a Briggs and Stratton engine for a mini bike I wanted to build. JC Agagjanian's grandson lived across the street from me so I ended up with a King-o-Lawn mini bike. Just as good as a Taco 44 mini bike.

If you cruised Whittier Blvd a lot you probably remember "Stick City". I think it was at the corner of Ocean View or Calmada and Whittier Blvd on the southeast corner across from Jim Child's Buick. Norm (Rabbit) worked there. When Stick City closed he open "Street Rods" in La Habra on Whittier Blvd near Beach, and it closed many years ago. Now he owns "High Line" which is behind Lombardo's Jacksons-Napa in Brea. I see him from time to time and have seen him at the Barrett Jackson, Mecum and Russo and Steele auctions on TV. I had my 1957 Corvette at the Newport Beach Russo and Steele auction last year with a reserve price on it. Norm asked me what the reserve was so I told him. The bidding went up to the reserve but didn't meet it so I didn't sell. Later Norm told me "I tried to help you out!" I told him to be careful bidding because I almost lifted the reserve and he would have owned my car! He's a great guy. I think he was the first person to tell me to not deal with that crook, Larry Buchanan. Now there's a name for you.

Larry Buchanan, a crook??????????????????? No way. He now lives in Vegas and still has the shit box and its now a street rod. He was Woz's favorite racer, just ask him..:D

Randy are you helping anyone these days, and did you get rid of all your stuff? I'm a huge alky car fan and always enjoyed your race reports.

Ashley Sanford raced with her dad in the sand in TAD running as quick as 2.40's in 300' in the dirt in one of Jerry Darien's old TAD's. She recently switched to AFD and has been a quick learner. First round at the Las Vegas divisional last month she beat Chris Demke's .059 reaction time 5.374 at 267.64 to Ashley's .037 reaction time 5.356 at 273.11.

The guy that is currently being trashed in the other thread approached her because he's been watching her, sees that she has talent and she is very marketable. I've known her dad and her grandpa 30+ years and she comes from a great family. She's a sweetheart, loves racing and has a great future ahead of her.

Joe, you are correct about experience and her dad has said the same thing. There is a timetable that will be followed.

Stay tuned.

I had heard that it would be a limited schedule at the end of 2015.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back