another pro stock rule aimed at Team Black ?? (1 Viewer)

camaro

Nitro Member
it will be interesting to see if the KB team can remain on top and survive yet another rule change regarding electronic shocks. they've survived about 4 or 5 rules over the past few years so gainesville should be pretty interesting

Geee, if you can buy Electronic and/or Pnuematic ride control as a factory option, Electronic shocks might be the only thing even semi-stock in a Pro Stocker...

I was also wondering who this rule was created for. As a rule of thumb, I think you should start looking that the teams that have dramatically improved their performance recently.

I was also wondering who this rule was created for. As a rule of thumb, I think you should start looking that the teams that have dramatically improved their performance recently.

:rolleyes: Hmm... Me thinks this might be a reference to a couple a dem der Mopars?

well greg and jason had lo et of the first round so, either they weren't the ones the rumor was about or they soldered the wires back right before first round !!:eek:

jf

Who knows if this is directed @ any one team or not. You can argue about sponsorships all you want but unless you know the total $$$$$ spent,it's a moot point. One thing is a fact,since the KB team has been dominating,the P/S fields have diminished from 30 + cars to about 22-24 cars. Why is this? is it because they don't have a chance of winning or is it because the cost of being competitive has escalated to the point of who can afford it? Some of the P/S class best ,David Reher/Jim Yates/Evan Knoll have said it's out of control and when Evan says it,it's a mouthfull. Mark Pawuk has either quit or running a limited schedule. There are rumors of astronomical priced shocks on some cars,this could be related to those rumors,who knows for sure. If it's aimed @ the KB team,so be it but one thing is for sure,if the cost of P/S racing isn't contained,the class will cease to exist. Who knows when Mopar or GM or both will pull the plug on motorsports and if they do,there goes another chunk of cars. WJ has already said,he ain't racing on his dime,so if he feels that way,the rest can't be far behind. WJ said in the recent Dragster interview,do away with any electrical shocks and go back to manual adjustable shocks only. I say go one better,do like NASCAR,do away with ALL data collectors and go back to tuning by the seat of your pants. The bottom line is,with the domination the KB team has had over the last 4 years,is it because they are smarter than racers who have been racing alot longer than them or do they have access to any and everything they need to get it done? I'm not saying they have done anything any other racers wouldn't have done or that they cheat or have cheated. I'm saying if there is to be a P/S class,NHRA has no choice but to try and control the cost of P/S racing.

Who knows if this is directed @ any one team or not. You can argue about sponsorships all you want but unless you know the total $$$$$ spent,it's a moot point. One thing is a fact,since the KB team has been dominating,the P/S fields have diminished from 30 + cars to about 22-24 cars. Why is this? is it because they don't have a chance of winning or is it because the cost of being competitive has escalated to the point of who can afford it? Some of the P/S class best ,David Reher/Jim Yates/Evan Knoll have said it's out of control and when Evan says it,it's a mouthfull. Mark Pawuk has either quit or running a limited schedule. There are rumors of astronomical priced shocks on some cars,this could be related to those rumors,who knows for sure. If it's aimed @ the KB team,so be it but one thing is for sure,if the cost of P/S racing isn't contained,the class will cease to exist. Who knows when Mopar or GM or both will pull the plug on motorsports and if they do,there goes another chunk of cars. WJ has already said,he ain't racing on his dime,so if he feels that way,the rest can't be far behind. WJ said in the recent Dragster interview,do away with any electrical shocks and go back to manual adjustable shocks only. I say go one better,do like NASCAR,do away with ALL data collectors and go back to tuning by the seat of your pants. The bottom line is,with the domination the KB team has had over the last 4 years,is it because they are smarter than racers who have been racing alot longer than them or do they have access to any and everything they need to get it done? I'm not saying they have done anything any other racers wouldn't have done or that they cheat or have cheated. I'm saying if there is to be a P/S class,NHRA has no choice but to try and control the cost of P/S racing.

Couldn't have said it better myself, Mike...:cool:

The question is, How do these parts get on the cars and thru tech in the first place. NHRA creates rules after the fact. I don't understand how they are able to have the parts then someone complains then a rule comes out. Shouldn't these parts be OK'd before being used and supplies check for all racer to use. Are these shocks created in house or from a supplier? NHRA needs to slow down the process and get a better handle on these cars or we my not see them for very long. COSTS are out of hand.

My 2 cents

Registered member said:
NHRA creates rules after the fact. I don't understand how they are able to have the parts then someone complains then a rule comes out.

They're called "Monday Morning Rules" and NASCAR used to do it to Smokey Yunick all the time. His daughter said he was an expert at reading a rule book, and figuring out what it DIDN'T cover. Then the day after the race, NASCAR would enact a new rule to ban what Smokey had gotten away with the day before.

Anyone remember what happened during qualifying at Brainerd in 2005?? 337.58 during Saturday qualifying on the then-new rev limiter. Here's a picture I took. I remember hearing on this board later that NHRA tech was waiting for Alan at his pit and discovered "creative" wiring on the rev-limiter. Not illegal, creative. I also remember later that week seeing a "clarification" about the rev-limiter rule on NHRA.com

Another thing about these high $$$$$$ parts,if they were availible to all,might not be so bad but when exclusives are bought,it takes them out of play for all. If you don't think this happens,it does.

You are correct. It is not illegal until there is a rule covering it. Now there is on the shock rules. Just like it was in NASCAR land with the same thing. (Was it last year or the year before?) It showed up in a car and the next week, it was in the tech trailer of NASCAR saying nothing like this will be allowed or tolerated.
And I want to know who really thinks $52,000 per shock is escalating costs? *seems reasonable, doesn't it?*
The rules could really be brought down to reality. And don't let real time adjustements be made to any part of the car at all. Be it shocks, first gear rpm sweeps, timing adjustments or carb stuff.

Another thing about these high $$$$$$ parts,if they were availible to all,might not be so bad but when exclusives are bought,it takes them out of play for all. If you don't think this happens,it does.

First hand account: It has, still does and will continue to happen.

Just an other challenge...

Does IHRA have the same problems with the Mountain Motor pro stocks? Does anyone know how much it costs to run an IHRA car compared to a NHRA car. IHRA has less races, but it would be interesting to compare cost per event.

And I want to know who really thinks $52,000 per shock is escalating costs? *seems reasonable, doesn't it?*

Shocks on Formula One cars are less than 10 grand a corner, and I am sure they are the trickest things on the planet. After all, that is cost no object racing.

52 grand for Drag Racing shocks, I don't think so. . .invoice please. . .

NASCAR slammed the door on these types of rules loopholes by adding a rule that requires all parts to be approved by NASCAR before being used on a race car, so the absence of a rule barring a particular part no longer gives the crew chief an opportunity to be creative in that regard. As John Asher pointed out, that extends even to such mundane things as fasteners - even the nuts and bolts must be on the approved list or your car is illegal, regardless of whether or not the unapproved part actually gives you an advantage.

NASCAR slammed the door on these types of rules loopholes by adding a rule that requires all parts to be approved by NASCAR before being used on a race car, so the absence of a rule barring a particular part no longer gives the crew chief an opportunity to be creative in that regard. As John Asher pointed out, that extends even to such mundane things as fasteners - even the nuts and bolts must be on the approved list or your car is illegal, regardless of whether or not the unapproved part actually gives you an advantage.

Larry I could not have said it better. Just because it's not in the rule book doesn't make it legal.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back