Another Nitro Team Parks (2 Viewers)

Close Timmah, but no cigar....

Our sport isn't a joke to Corporate American, Corporate European Union, or Corporate Asia... We're just not a market, period.

Our Total Fan Base might, if you really play with the figures, equal the population of ONE major US city. Average age of our 'fan base' has to be late thirties, early forties... I'll even bet the average income is in the low forty K a year range...

Our 'Sport' is not one you are exposed to in school, unlike stick and ball sports, or even track and field. Someone in the sport has to take a newbie, and I've found, over the years, the very things we love about the sport, are the same things that most I've taken over the years say is wrong with it, the smell, the noise, the feel of a nitro car launching, or warming up in the pits.

It's like roller coasters, you love them, or they scare the crap out of you...

Guess you could say, we are just a different breed of 1%er's...

d'kid

Our sport isn't a joke to Corporate American, Corporate European Union, or Corporate Asia... We're just not a market, period.

Our Total Fan Base might, if you really play with the figures, equal the population of ONE major US city. Average age of our 'fan base' has to be late thirties, early forties... I'll even bet the average income is in the low forty K a year range...

Our 'Sport' is not one you are exposed to in school, unlike stick and ball sports, or even track and field. Someone in the sport has to take a newbie, and I've found, over the years, the very things we love about the sport, are the same things that most I've taken over the years say is wrong with it, the smell, the noise, the feel of a nitro car launching, or warming up in the pits.

d'kid

The voice of reason. I think you are cutting the NHRA some slack on their demographics ... if I ever want to feel young at 34 all I have to do is go to a NHRA National Event. I would guess the average age is 47+ easy, which is why I found all the energy drink sponsors curious, as old dudes are not the ones buying Monster or Rockstar.

Like Bazemore said last week, it is real hard to understand how small the sport is until you are no longer involved in it. The 1,000 or so folks that post on this board sometimes get myopic about the sport, myself included, and we tend to live and die on every race or decision from a team or NHRA. Bottom line is, we are not even a blip on the radar ... That doesn't mean there isn't value in the sport ... that may mean it is going to get worse before it gets better ... and there is likely a he!! of a gap between perceived value and actual value.

d'kid

Very True Karl, lets face it if it wasn't for wealthy businessmen who love this sport it would be in a World of Hurt! I always thank men like Ken Black, Connie Kalitta, Don Schumacher, Forrest Lucas and Victor Cagnazzi. I'm sure I'm leaving out one or two more... Cause this sport would be Far worse off than it is now if it wasn't for them.:rolleyes:

The voice of reason. I think you are cutting the NHRA some slack on their demographics ... if I ever want to feel young at 34 all I have to do is go to a NHRA National Event. I would guess the average age is 47+ easy, which is why I found all the energy drink sponsors curious, as old dudes are not the ones buying Monster or Rockstar.

Like Bazemore said last week, it is real hard to understand how small the sport is until you are no longer involved in it. The 1,000 or so folks that post on this board sometimes get myopic about the sport, myself included, and we tend to live and die on every race or decision from a team or NHRA. Bottom line is, we are not even a blip on the radar ... That doesn't mean there isn't value in the sport ... that may mean it is going to get worse before it gets better ... and there is likely a he!! of a gap between perceived value and actual value.

Ah Chris, when I'm not drinking coffee, or bourbon, it's Amp, Monster, or maybe a couple of others, still haven't seen a Vegas Fuel, or a Rockstar...
Us Old Farts need energy drinks... and there's no crash if you drink them the entire time you're awake... kinda like legal 'whites'

d'kid

Very True Karl, lets face it if it wasn't for wealthy businessmen who love this sport it would be in a World of Hurt! I always thank men like Ken Black, Connie Kalitta, Don Schumacher, Forrest Lucas and Victor Cagnazzi. I'm sure I'm leaving out one or two more... Cause this sport would be Far worse off than it is now if it wasn't for them.:rolleyes:

Joe, We're now at the point where four of those five Gentlemen can no longer run it, nor should they, out of their pocket.

A huge Thank You to all of them.

d'kid

Ah Chris, when I'm not drinking coffee, or bourbon, it's Amp, Monster, or maybe a couple of others, still haven't seen a Vegas Fuel, or a Rockstar...
Us Old Farts need energy drinks... and there's no crash if you drink them the entire time you're awake... kinda like legal 'whites'

d'kid

I would say you are the exception to the rule Karl ... but then again you are the exception to many rules (and I mean that in a good way).

I know I have a better chance of hitting the lottery than I do getting my Dad and his friends to drink ANY energy drink. My Dad wouldn't even drink the FREE Full Throttles last year at Indy, or this year at Vegas 1 and Indy.

According to the NHRA demographics....average age of serious fans is between 39-60 years old-male.
Above average income of between 50-100k and are not blue collar workers.
Secondary education is above average right behind F1 fans..
Call Ronda in Glendora and she will send out the packet.
Our sport which we all love is not part of the economy in the big scale of things---unlike NASCAR.
There were times in the 80's and 90's when the car counts were low and IMO is not a big deal. This situation will fix itself and is not NHRA's fault at all.
Bring a car to race and they will let you in---simple as that.

I would say you are the exception to the rule Karl ... but then again you are the exception to many rules (and I mean that in a good way).

I know I have a better chance of hitting the lottery than I do getting my Dad and his friends to drink ANY energy drink. My Dad wouldn't even drink the FREE Full Throttles last year at Indy, or this year at Vegas 1 and Indy.

Ya know, it could have something to do with the people I hang out with... different demographics... mean age 26.5... 80% single, with no plans of marriage on the horizon... none of them race fans, but.... they all know, by sight:
Papa John
Ashley Force-Hood
Erica Ortez (wall paper Good)
Larry Dixon
Tony Shoe
Eric and Scott (why are you crying dad?)(popa... u nee hugs?)
'Gramps' Minick (TY for the wallpaper Mike)
Robert, Eric Lane, and Jimmy (framed RotY hand out signed by all the '06 crew and all the rest of my AAA stuff)

rambling, sorry

d'kid

In this economy, who has got the money to show up in Pro Stock, Funny Car or Top Fuel?

I am sure it would be a hell of a lot easier for guys like Roger Burgess and David Powers, who already have the all the parts, crew, cars and haulers to show up and race than a startup team. You are right, it is certainly not NHRA's fault the economy went into the tank ... but they are doing the minimum (IMO) to protect their business ... which ANY way you slice it ... is the health of the race teams.

NHRA provides the playing filed and the rest is up to you...Look at JFR and what he does and the amount of coverage he receives.
His energy and excitement that comes from him is over the top. Nothing against Melanie as she is a fine pilot but for the persona she displays it is ordinary and plain...like most of them.
And for some the economy is doing fine....ever looked into the elevator industry for example? All three of the big guns---Thyssenkrupp, Otis, Schindler are having record profits and are years behind in construction, modernizations, and service. They are making money in the billions..
There is alot of money out there but you gotta look outside the box.
NHRA will give you plenty of air time but you gotta be a little different..

According to the NHRA demographics....average age of serious fans is between 39-60 years old-male.
Our sport which we all love is not part of the economy in the big scale of things---unlike NASCAR.
There were times in the 80's and 90's when the car counts were low and IMO is not a big deal. This situation will fix itself and is not NHRA's fault at all.

Is this the 2008-2009 version?

R2B2 F/C folds, Melanie joins the ranks of those looking for a car in '09

Scoop reporting Roger Burgess has closed the doors on his F/C team:
More bad news: Troxel loses her ride

'09 is not shaping up as a good year for fuel racing. :(

Edit - sorry for the repost, guys. Just missed this thread entirely.:eek:

Last edited:
Re: R2B2 F/C folds, Melanie joins the ranks of those looking for a car in '09

...Good Ole Roger...Wasnt he the wanker on the nhra site boasting of his new song for them...hmmmm

...My Pal got HIS call from MARK OSWALD this a.m with the news...they were just folded...

THE THING that has the team Really P%ssed is LAST WEEK Roger was at the race shop with "full steam ahead" orders for everyone...!!!:confused:

IS it NOW trendy to park your fuel car on a whim...

Roger is a multi-millionaire in the never lagging Pharmacutical industry.

In Melanie's latest NHRA blog she states Burgess' commitment to keep the team out there next year.

For the sake of good order, R2B2's Julie Mosher wrote the blog but I know what you mean. Here's a link:
Blogs.NHRA.com - NHRA Driver Blogs

I was really excited to see Steve Zelem's name in there. He's a Skoal Blue alumni and I know he could only help that team go rounds. To get a job and lose it so quickly... and near Christmas too. Damn. :( Really hope everyone can find work on a competitive team.

NHRA provides the playing filed and the rest is up to you...Look at JFR and what he does and the amount of coverage he receives.
His energy and excitement that comes from him is over the top. Nothing against Melanie as she is a fine pilot but for the persona she displays it is ordinary and plain...like most of them.
And for some the economy is doing fine....ever looked into the elevator industry for example? All three of the big guns---Thyssenkrupp, Otis, Schindler are having record profits and are years behind in construction, modernizations, and service. They are making money in the billions..
NHRA will give you plenty of air time but you gotta be a little different..
Come on elevator Dude!! Pony up Terry!! There isn't a problem with people that have money right? Who are they making elevators for? The bailout industry? Is the elevator going to hell or what?

Well let's see the "Terry Jones" F/C..it's so easy..and it'll all work out, right? Bring it on. Sh!t is hitting the fan..and you still find a way to make it somebody's fault.

For the sake of good order, R2B2's Julie Mosher wrote the blog but I know what you mean. Here's a link:
Blogs.NHRA.com - NHRA Driver Blogs

I was really excited to see Steve Zelem's name in there. He's a Skoal Blue alumni and I know he could only help that team go rounds. To get a job and lose it so quickly... and near Christmas too. Damn. :( Really hope everyone can find work on a competitive team.

...Stevie's gonna be ok...Its happy hour all winter in Lake Havasu!!!...maybe he can still catch a ride to australia!!! :p

What do you think the ROI for any of the 3 elevator manufacturers would be for getting involved in drag racing?

I can't tell you how many times I have said to myself, if only an elevator company was involved in drag racing I would go out and buy one RIGHT NOW. Going up and down 1 flight of stairs is just getting ridiculous.

Terry it's really hard to take anything YOU say seriously.
Kind of like your Larry Dixon reply. I'm going to give you a little advice it's better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are a fool than opening your mouth and removing all doubt! :cool:

I mentioned the elevator industry cause their bread/butter is in two stop elevators and being an employee w/ ThyssenKrupp I thought of all the positives the companies would receive from flying their colors.
They are very affordable and the industry is rarely approached yet they (Thyssenkrupp) are a top 5 global company.

I might be difficult but most here complain and want others to fix problems..

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back