An open request from a fan to racers/teams attending the U.S. Nationals (1 Viewer)

lmhb oyf

Nitro Member
First off I'd like to apologize in advance for the length of this but I felt that a little background history would help in showing why this is important to me.

Also, let me please apologize if this comes off as begging or trying to get something for nothing. The few remaining persons on here that have known me from the old Nitromater days know that I'm not that type of person and the even fewer that REALLY know me know how hard it is for me to even ask for favors. What does give me this rare badge of courage to come on here and ask for help from the NHRA racing community is the constant generosities, charitable involvements and just plain big hearts shown each and every week - at each race - by the teams and drivers.

As many of you know my son once was the beneficiary of such kindness. He still to this day remains a fan of every team and driver that touched him that weekend in Joliet. He still has every memento from that weekend and proudly brags to his friends about them when they visit.

Which brings me to my "cause" and the search for help, support, ideas, guidance, etc...

My son who is now 13 and permanently confined to a wheelchair due to the progression of his Muscular Dystrophy plays organized Power Wheelchair Soccer and has since he was 8. This past off season after being in Division 2 for the previous 4 years and clearly playing well above the level of his peers, the powers that be in our state's Power Soccer Association thought that his level of play and understanding of the game warranted an invite to tryouts for Division 1 which is the highest level of play worldwide. Out of the 29 athletes invited he was one of four selected to move up.

At 13 he's by far the youngest player on his team. All of his other teammates are either attending college or in their early 20's. Through his hard work he's now our starting goalie and has only given up 2 goals all year. (Can ya' tell I'm proud?)

Obviously, he couldn't have been asked to join a better team, The Circle City Rollers. They have been National Champions 2 out of the last 3 years and were runner up in the off year. We're undefeated again this year outscoring our opponents 81-6 upon completion of our regular season league play and then dominating at our Regional Qualifying Tournament. Winning that tournament automatically secured a spot in the National Division 1 Tournament which is in 3 weeks. For the 4th year in a row we're going in as the #1 seed.

Our team is well known, respected and widely referred to as being the model that other teams want to develop in to around both the country and the world in the Power Soccer Community. Unfortunately, locally we're treated as the Red-headed step-child by our league's founders and Directors because we wrested away from them the position of being the #1 team in the country 3 years ago and they make it very clear that they don't like it. So where other local teams that fall under our local association's jurisdiction are provided assistance with sponsorship opportunities and funding, we're left to fend for ourselves and try to raise money dollar by dollar just to be able to travel to tournaments, many of which require either flying or driving 10-12 hours plus the cost of hotel rooms for the team and family members. Many times we end up having to pay from our own pockets just so our team can compete outside of the state.

It's amazing to me how hard it is for us to find a locally based medium to large corporation willing to provide financial support and sponsorship which would partner them with a worthy cause and also a proven winner giving them more bang for the buck and helps strengthen their image by showing that they care about Indiana based causes.

I'm not asking for financial support on here but just illustrating how frustrating, demoralizing and confusing it for our players who constantly have to explain and defend to other teams why we have to log huge miles on our own vehicles and have to stay at cheap dirty hotels while they arrive in specially equipped motor coaches, have team equipment trailers and tow vehicles while staying in the nice full service hotels.

Now...with the team history and bio out of the way, my favor that I ask is the willingness of a team or teams to step up and host these 6 players either on the Friday of the US Nationals or Saturday Night and perhaps give them a special behind the scenes experience as a way to provide something special as a surprise gift and an opportunity for them to feel like VIP's or celebrities especially being an Indianapolis area based team.

My point is, they deserve something special and a chance to see a form of racing that aside from my son, none of them have experienced and to also, at least for an evening, let them feel like someone other than their parents and family thinks that their efforts deserve some sort of recognition.

One last thing I'd like for them to do if this can come together, is to get a chance to meet and talk with Darrell Gwynn to share experiences, learn about Darrell's foundation and perhaps teach Darrell a little about Power Soccer in the hopes that he can help spread the word about the sport so that it continues to grow locally, nationally and internationally. If anyone knows of a way to contact him directly, I'd appreciate the help.

For those of you who read this in its entirety, thank you. Again, I apologize to the others for the lengthy post.

Kind regards,

Drew

Last edited:
That's a great story, Drew. I will be absolutely shocked if someone doesn't step up to the plate on your request and knock it into the cheap seats.

Best of luck!

Sean D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back