ALL RUN, in pro classes...... (1 Viewer)

All this talk about giving the fans more bang for their buck, then they send home more cars then they race.
33 Pro-Mods show up and they let only 16 race.
21 Pro Stocks show, and again only 16 get to race.
Seems like a terrible waste to have perfectly good legal race cars, with trained crews, and licensed drivers
on site, and not let them race Sunday

How do they expect the sport to grow, if they keep discouraging participation ??

What say you......??

Paul, back in the 80's, classes like Pro stock and Alky FC used to get up to 50 cars at Indy! I think for a lot of these guys, just experiencing Indy is 75% of it.

With the costs of racing, the days of having 30+ cars trying to qualify for 16 car fields are probably long gone. Having said that, NHRA needs to find more money to spread out to non qualifers. This would give incentive to more teams to come out more often, which is how you build these classes for the future. The drama of "making the show" has always been part of the excitement of national events. To have that drama and excitement, you have to have the risk for some racers to not get in. You see more small teams coming out now to try and make these shows, NHRA needs to invest some money so that these teams are compelled to come out more often.

I don't like the "all run" idea, but I do like the idea of running first round Saturday night. 2 qualifying shots on Friday, 1 early (say 3pm), one late (night session when applicable). Spread them out a bit, give the teams time to work on the car. Saturday, LAST qualifying shot early and round 1 late. Sunday, start the show at noon and do 90 minute turnarounds and everyone is out of there by 4. Squeeze the turnaround times to today's standards, and you can make a case for the whole show Sunday being on live TV. Promoters still get their 3 day gate, 1 less qualifying shot should shake up the ladders from time to time. The whole thing saves time and money for the teams. In any event, we need to see more header flames at night!

Letting them RACE on Sun. is incentive enough. The way it is now, if your not one of the 16 quickest in the country, there's no point in going.
Guarantee them a chance to race & win & have there sponsors seen on TV Sun., and you won't have short fields anymore.
To have perfectly fine race cars sitting still in the pits, that NOONE sees go down the track on Sun. is just wrong.

NHRA could have a highlight of the non qualifiers on the broadcast on sun to help with exposure for sponsors of non qualifiers

With all run, you have odd numbers, weird ladders and the potential for bye runs several times.

Qualifying is your chance to get in the show, best 16 get to race for the wally.

I'll take that one step further and say that not all the sportsman cars should run, either. I know that will raise the ire of some folks, but understand, I used to run a Super Class car myself and I STILL support that statement.

Sean D
Too many rounds to win a few dollars and wally.

If they ran Chicago Style, everyone would know they will be racing first round and second round. Everyone would show up, not just Force and Don. Suppose 30 funny cars did show. That is 15 side by sides first round, 15 side by sides second round, and 1 in the final. 31 side by sides for the spectators. The very same spectators that would only need to buy a one day pass, and no hotel room. Obviously there would be a lot more of them also.

I'll take that one step further and say that not all the sportsman cars should run, either. I know that will raise the ire of some folks, but understand, I used to run a Super Class car myself and I STILL support that statement.
Sean D

They don't because there is a quota on every class that limit the amount of cars that can show up. But I agree that classes like Stock and Superstock could have a high quota(like 75) but only qualify 48 cars so you can see more performance out of them. Indy allows 200 cars for 128 spots and qualifying was a blood bath.
Also not too many races get 18 pro cars anymore anyway so it ends up being all run when 16 or less enter.

Another issue with All run, is where are you going to pit them?

I know your dream scenario is 32 car fields. Where you are going to put all the extra rigs, not too mention sponsor space that you will will follow

If they ran Chicago Style, everyone would know they will be racing first round and second round. Everyone would show up, not just Force and Don. Suppose 30 funny cars did show. That is 15 side by sides first round, 15 side by sides second round, and 1 in the final. 31 side by sides for the spectators. The very same spectators that would only need to buy a one day pass, and no hotel room. Obviously there would be a lot more of them also.
Chicago style is only suited for match racing, not for a Professional Racing Series.

Lets haul teams to Denver, make 2 passes, not be one of the two quickest, so tear it all down and haul it to Sonoma, still not the quickest pair, tear it down, haul it to Seattle......

Not to mention the loss of TV coverage.

How long do you think would last?

Last edited:
With all run, you have odd numbers, weird ladders and the potential for bye runs several times.

Qualifying is your chance to get in the show, best 16 get to race for the wally.

Odd number of cars is no problem, we have that now. Besides bye runs have been part of drag racing from the start.
Folks wonder about why empty seats?, ticket prices keep going up, yet we still give them the same size show, 16 cars.

I still say, let a race car race. Doesn't make sense to park them. Indy banned more pro/mods then they raced. That just ain't right.

Indy banned more pro/mods then they raced. That just ain't right.

The rhetoric could stand to be backed down a little. They didn't "ban" anybody and tell them they couldn't race. They had 33 cars show up for a 16 car field. The entrants knew that's how big the field was when they signed up. This is nothing new...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back