ALL RUN, in pro classes...... (2 Viewers)

They can race, the have multiple chances to qualify. This isn't 5 year old soccer, not everyone gets a trophy. Qualify then run with the big show. You sound like a countdown lover now, "let's let everyone run for a championship, let's let everyone race, the more the merrier. We don't want to hurt anyone's feelings"

They don't because there is a quota on every class that limit the amount of cars that can show up. But I agree that classes like Stock and Superstock could have a high quota(like 75) but only qualify 48 cars so you can see more performance out of them. Indy allows 200 cars for 128 spots and qualifying was a blood bath.
Also not too many races get 18 pro cars anymore anyway so it ends up being all run when 16 or less enter.

Like I said, I ran the Super Classes for several years, so I'm familiar with the grading system (which I agree with, by the way). I'm just saying not everyone should be allowed to run, even in those classes. Bring in the 100+ quota, but qualify 64 at .90 or above. There will be a portion of the spirit benders that will qualify regardless, but damn, make them do SOMETHING besides show up at 3 divisionals in order to compete on the big stage.

And like someone else said, the pay doesn't commensurate with the rounds, much less the days competed. And for a trophy that has lost it's significance as far as I'm concerned. They give Wally's away for just about everything anymore.

Sean D

They didn't "ban" anybody and tell them they couldn't race. They had 33 cars show up for a 16 car field. QUOTE]

Sure they did. They had 33 legal cars ready to race and only let 16 do so. I call it banned, you call it DNQed. Same thing. NHRA sets the number they will let race.
All I'm saying is, if you want to grow the sport, - then you have to enlarge it. Give the customer MORE for the $$. You want more sponsors, you have to give them
the exposure they want. Let them in the race. You want more cars to be built & enter, - let them race. The customer is still getting the same 16 car show they were getting years ago.

Sure they did. They had 33 legal cars ready to race and only let 16 do so. I call it banned, you call it DNQed. Same thing. NHRA sets the number they will let race.
All I'm saying is, if you want to grow the sport, - then you have to enlarge it. Give the customer MORE for the $$. You want more sponsors, you have to give them
the exposure they want. Let them in the race. You want more cars to be built & enter, - let them race. The customer is still getting the same 16 car show they were getting years ago.
Wow, I don't even know what to say...

Banned and DNQ are not the same thing, to even try to compare that makes the rest of the argument invalid. Check the meds Pops :)

I think a Chicago style event should be on the calendar, but perhaps a charity or big money event like the Winston invitation was.

But I would also love to see 1/8, 1/4 and 1000 foot races in the mix. Unfortunately, this will require a reformulated engine, but like any racing series has, I think NHRA needs to drastically rethink the engine to survive and remain popular.

Also there should be event(s) - before the countdown, where multi car teams select only one of their teams to race, I feel that this is the only way we will get more smaller players in the sport.

Perhaps like the Alkys, let the teams who don't get selected to run at a National events, to nominate a number of divisional events that they can earn points towards the national point system, or the smaller teams could do this system to help with costs?

I have been reading all the ideas and they're very interesting what everyone's been coming up with, but you need to look at what has happened in the last couple months with the fuel classes.. They have been very exciting with the numbers they have been running and all the fans can't wait to see what happens this fall, I don't think right now making any changes would be a good thing, peoples attitude right now is don't touch it. What this sport needs is more involvement from auto industry and corporate world, higher purses and higher bottom line will build this sport.

I have been reading all the ideas and they're very interesting what everyone's been coming up with, but you need to look at what has happened in the last couple months with the fuel classes.. They have been very exciting with the numbers they have been running and all the fans can't wait to see what happens this fall, I don't think right now making any changes would be a good thing, peoples attitude right now is don't touch it. What this sport needs is more involvement from auto industry and corporate world, higher purses and higher bottom line will build this sport.
And hopefully that will come with the new FOX TV package and 450 hours per year of broadcasts.

I think a Chicago style event should be on the calendar, but perhaps a charity or big money event like the Winston invitation was.

But I would also love to see 1/8, 1/4 and 1000 foot races in the mix. Unfortunately, this will require a reformulated engine, but like any racing series has, I think NHRA needs to drastically rethink the engine to survive and remain popular.

Also there should be event(s) - before the countdown, where multi car teams select only one of their teams to race, I feel that this is the only way we will get more smaller players in the sport.

Perhaps like the Alkys, let the teams who don't get selected to run at a National events, to nominate a number of divisional events that they can earn points towards the national point system, or the smaller teams could do this system to help with costs?
That is interesting. If they can have one 4 wide event, they could have one Chicago style.

Like I posted earlier, pay a few more bucks to non-qualifiers. Nobody expects to make money at this unless they have backing. Having said that, don't you think more part time teams like Diehl, Haddock, Densham, Bill Miller, etc. would come out to more events if they knew that even if they failed to qualify, they could at least recoup their travel costs? And the more events they attend, the more laps they get. And the better their chances of getting some financial help. That's how you build the classes. And not everyone is looking for a 3Mil dollar deal (that's like finding a unicorn anyways), I bet you'd be surprised how many more cars would show up with a little more money thrown at them.

Pro classes must have a poor r.o.i. for Ford to leave pro racing and only stay in sportsman racing. And yes NHRA needs to get corporate companies more involved or at least find out why they are not. As far as parts manufacturers, I think NHRA created that problem with the requirements they ask for the midway and contingency sponsorship.

Pro classes must have a poor r.o.i. for Ford to leave pro racing and only stay in sportsman racing. And yes NHRA needs to get corporate companies more involved or at least find out why they are not. As far as parts manufacturers, I think NHRA created that problem with the requirements they ask for the midway and contingency sponsorship.

Ford was paying millions to Force. They make millions selling everyone of those S/SS Cobra Jets for between $100 - $140K each, and they manufacture 50 of them every year. Yes something needs to be done about ROI. I wish any of us knew what though.

I agree about the death of the midway. It is still shocking to me to see how few trailers/displays there are at the races these days. I would say the internet is as much to blame (if not more) as NHRA. Easier to point and click than to pay people to haul your stuff around to every race.

I use to be on midway every October race at HPT and NHRA's greed ran everyone away. I think even today manufacturers could benefit from the midway. I know when I went to races I always walked the midway and talk to the reps it was a mini sema but always interesting.

I agree about the death of the midway. It is still shocking to me to see how few trailers/displays there are at the races these days. I would say the internet is as much to blame (if not more) as NHRA. Easier to point and click than to pay people to haul your stuff around to every race.

I use to be on midway every October race at HPT and NHRA's greed ran everyone away. I think even today manufacturers could benefit from the midway. I know when I went to races I always walked the midway and talk to the reps it was a mini sema but always interesting.

That was the first thing I noticed when I walked onto the grounds at Indy last week. The midway was like a ghost town. The word around here was that NHRA gave out ZERO tickets to the manufacturers this year and that was a big reason for the decline. Just a rumor around here, but it wouldn't surprise me..........

Sean D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back