4 wide nationals thread (1 Viewer)

You have to remember it was raining and I am sure a lot of people took off when there was a delay. Also, you need to look at the main grandstand before making any assessments.

My only assessment was that friday night usually pulls a pretty big crowd.

Pit side (John Force Grandstand) was crowded Friday. The other side, which is what the picture shows, was pretty empty. Today the pits were more crowded than I have ever seen them at any race including Indy. John Force Grandstand was packed. The other side was maybe half full.

I watched the qualifying show and Saturday definitely packed the stands.

My biggest concern is about safety. I really don't have a problem with 4-wide...as a 1 time exhibition, but I'm really against racing a complete event this way, and REALLY don't like that points are being awarded for what has been dubbed an "experiment." I hope NHRA looks at the incidents that have happened this weekend with the 2 bodies coming off and C Mac's wheel and makes the right decision based on SAFETY!

I wanted to give it a fair shake... I have seen enough. HATE 4 wide. Hate the camera angles, hate having to watch from above to see all the lanes run at once. Hate the chopped up camera work. I can't imagine liking 4 wide in person.

On the safety issue I'd like to hear comments from the drivers. The Hight-Arend incident could have happened two wide. Two bodies blowing up in the same set did not cause a problem and was very unusual-those were the only two bodies that blew up all weekend.

I was there all weekend although I had to leave when they pulled the plug today. I had trouble keeping track of which car was which during eliminations. I usually watch the cars to half track and then switch to the big screen since by half track you have no depth perception on who is ahead if you sit by the starting line. The big screen seemed smaller than usual and the camera angle needed to get all four cars in the shot resulted in the cars looking like ants on the big screen.

I went to Charlotte specifically to see 4 wide. I'm not a purist like many on this board. I'd have to say I enjoyed it but wouldn't want a steady dose of it. Not sure if I would go back to Charlotte if they do it again next year but that's more because it's a long hike from California rather than dissatisfaction with the racing.

Last edited:
If you didn't attend the event, you missed a great weekend of entertainment. I was there, I participated, I had/have an open mind and found the 4 wide added a lot more excitement for the drivers, crews and fans. It was a sensory extravaganza.

Fans, sponsors (both potential, new and old) and a lot of crews/drivers that I talked to voiced favorable comments today. It was all new on Friday and mistakes were made by many, that ended up frustrating almost everyone. These were ironed out on Saturday and today everything seemed to go pretty good.

It rained on Friday and today, and it looks like almost everyone survived. It didn't cause much chaos. There were some oil downs, didn't take any longer to clean up. A couple of bodies came off and a tire exploded. Again, not that much different than what could have happened with two wide. There seemed to be more racing live, and each race seemed to hold more intrigue. There was no easy brackets/races. We qualified 8th and faced numbers 1,9 and 16 first round. We were probably the least favored to advance based on experience, manpower and budgets, but we did. And the next round was more brutal. Look at how Dixon and Tony lost. Don't see that very often.

You guys can keep talking negativly about 4 wide, but I was there and loved it, will do it again if the chance arises, and can only see it as an asset to the sport if done 2 or 3 times a year around the country.

I'm kinda puzzled by all the negativity. Were you guys watching the same show as I was? I thought it was great for a lot of reasons. The only part I didn't like, is that I was not there in person. I will be next time!

For those who were there, especially you virgil what did you like about it? I only saw it on tv and honestly I don't know what to think about it. I just don't understand the "show" "entertainment" factor of it, I am biased I as a fan believe that the racing is the show and that I want to see racers be racers first and showman second because thats what they are there for to be racers.

I have a better understanding of the format now but honestly it was just like watching 2 normal races at once. I just don't know what was so wrong with 2-wide. I don't know I wasn't there.

I enjoyed Watching the Racing Side of the broadcast, enough 'upsets' to keep it really interesting... and I am enjoying the Ant/Herbert show... 2 from the same quad going to the finals...

Flopper we have a Hollywood final, Matt coming back after Q3... Princess going for another major... everybody's Kid Brother Brother in Ron, and The Lord of the Rings....

Still not sold that this should be a points race, but don't really have a dawg in that fight...

d'kid

This pictures confirms it.
dsb_5003_20100326_1795508405.jpg

I've never been to an event on a friday night and the stands were this empty. Just seems like the stands should be packed.

Looks like BOTH the fans liked it :rolleyes:

Sorry but I did not like the 4 wide on tv. Too much to watch during the pass, guess that is why they replayed each pass over and over, but they were long distant camera shots. But mostly I miss the driver vs driver rivelery. I like the historical match up between drivers and 4 wide will take that away. I'm sure being in the stands was awesome from the physical effect perspective but with only 7 passes per class vs 15 passes per class something would be missing. Can't wait until the thunder Valley Nationals in June. BE THERE!

NOTE TO WILLIAM.. DO YOU KNOW WHAT HAS BEEN MISSING ABOUT DRAG RACING OVER HERE IN THE STATES... WELL, READ MR. HARTMAN'S POST AND YOU MIGHT START TO UNDERSTAND....

Thanks Virgil. Glad you guys did well this weekend. It was great seeing Rhonda back in the seat.

Tim

If you didn't attend the event, you missed a great weekend of entertainment. I was there, I participated, I had/have an open mind and found the 4 wide added a lot more excitement for the drivers, crews and fans. It was a sensory extravaganza.

Fans, sponsors (both potential, new and old) and a lot of crews/drivers that I talked to voiced favorable comments today. It was all new on Friday and mistakes were made by many, that ended up frustrating almost everyone. These were ironed out on Saturday and today everything seemed to go pretty good.

It rained on Friday and today, and it looks like almost everyone survived. It didn't cause much chaos. There were some oil downs, didn't take any longer to clean up. A couple of bodies came off and a tire exploded. Again, not that much different than what could have happened with two wide. There seemed to be more racing live, and each race seemed to hold more intrigue. There was no easy brackets/races. We qualified 8th and faced numbers 1,9 and 16 first round. We were probably the least favored to advance based on experience, manpower and budgets, but we did. And the next round was more brutal. Look at how Dixon and Tony lost. Don't see that very often.

You guys can keep talking negativly about 4 wide, but I was there and loved it, will do it again if the chance arises, and can only see it as an asset to the sport if done 2 or 3 times a year around the country.

Tried to keep an open mind about it, but after watching it ended up just very unenthused.

Overall, probably is a plus for the sport, and we can all endure it on that limited basis. I doubt very much any existing track other than Vegas will or even can ever be 4 lane. My fondest hope for the present is that Bruton leaves his checkbook in his pocket and leaves Vegas as is.

Looks like BOTH the fans liked it :rolleyes:

You can take the same picture at Pomona any day but Sunday and it will look the same ---------------------------------------------------------I think the 4 wide takes some of the multi car team advantage away, as far as meeting a teammate in a crucial round deal might play out.

Last edited:
I'm kinda puzzled by all the negativity. Were you guys watching the same show as I was? I thought it was great for a lot of reasons. The only part I didn't like, is that I was not there in person. I will be next time!

My thoughts exactly, I liked what I saw. This place is filled with traditionalists, hence the anger towards the Countdown, 1,000ft racing, and 4 wide racing.

I was there for last years 4 wide exhibition deal. It is something to FEEL and HEAR in person however it isn't great trying to watch. TV coverage has to be so far away to catch everything that it really takes away from what is happening.

Make it a once a year all star event and its fine. As someone who pushed for 1000' at the short tracks at the full 1/4 at those that can handle it, I can live with them doing 4 wide once a year if I have to. But now we see vegas is going to jump the shark meaning a possible 4 races with it.

I just wish we could get people who actually know and love our sport to be in power positions.

Wonder if they will be able to get the flame resistant clown suits in time for the next 4 wide deal

I quit going to NHRA big show races a number of years ago. However, if they do this out west, I will have to go check it out.

For all you people who don 't like it, go to Bonneville this August. There they only run one at a time and compare times.

Last edited:
I can see why the participant might enjoy it...and maybe it is even OK as a live event...

but as a FAN watching on TV, I'll never bother with a "4-wide" race again...it's like going to the movies to watch a double feature and having them show both movies at the same time :confused:

nope it just isn't for me, I like the mano a mano aspect of drag racing versus other motor sports, and even more I like the racing itself. And it seems to me that I'm only getting half as many races and a BUNCH more fill in crap...but for ESPN it's only half as much pesky racing time and twice as much replay/interview time so they probably love it...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back