4 wide nationals thread (1 Viewer)

Oh, yeah, on the picture of BB's car with the stands in the background, Friday's program kept getting delayed by rain, not much, just enough to hold up the show. The Friday crowd was pretty sparse, and then at about 6:00 PM when a shower of rain came through most of the people headed for the gates. It was about 8:00 PM when qualifying was finished, the temperature was 50 degrees, and there was a stiff wind blowing straight up the track. I really don't blame anybody for going home, I had on a t-shirt and two sweatshirts and was miserably cold. The stands in the picture are the general admission stands, which was only speckled with fans at best on Friday, but were probably 1/2 to 2/3 full on Saturday, with the reserved grandstands pretty close to full on Saturday. Sunday was a smaller crowd, but the weather was back to cold and windy, with rain in the forecast. I'm sure that didn't help.

I relate it to sensory overload! The instant gratification, I want it and I want it all NOW! Makes me crazy!

Maybe I am a traditionalist, but I do know that I am not a fan of what was presented this weekend.
Was it different? Yeah, sure. Do I see it as the future of NHRA? I don't, but then again, I'm just a fan and apparently my opinion is just that and doesn't mean jack.

I was there for last years 4 wide exhibition deal. It is something to FEEL and HEAR in person however it isn't great trying to watch. TV coverage has to be so far away to catch everything that it really takes away from what is happening.

Make it a once a year all star event and its fine. As someone who pushed for 1000' at the short tracks at the full 1/4 at those that can handle it, I can live with them doing 4 wide once a year if I have to. But now we see vegas is going to jump the shark meaning a possible 4 races with it.

I just wish we could get people who actually know and love our sport to be in power positions.

Wonder if they will be able to get the flame resistant clown suits in time for the next 4 wide deal

Well, I watched on TV; I still want to see and hear it live. All I gotta do is keep my ass alive long enough to get the opportunity to see it. And I'd even go so far as to "OK" it for the early Vegas race, but that's it. No additional 4 wide events. Ever. But (sigh) I know no one's listening.

4 fuel cars at once has to be awesome ! That said did you catch Heights Interview after Hitting Jeff Arends Car ?

NHRA goes to all these lengths for safety then allows a race where a Driver has to run all out reguardless of conditions with his car simply because he has no idea what the other two cars are doing !
A recipe for a Disaster ! IMO

Instead of racing all 4 lanes against each other they could race it as 2 pairs. YOu could still do the staging so the start is the same to get the same sound and feel but you are only racing the car in the lane you are paired with. That would keep the "benefits" of 4 at a time racing and eliminate the potential for staying on the throttle too long trying to beat someone 3 lanes away to be second across the line.

Now thats a great idea. It also lets WINNERS only advance. One from each pair. I love the 4-wide thing, but did'nt like the loser in each quad advancing.

Last edited:
I suspect that many of the fans on Saturday came to watch history and say they were there, and to get the sensory overload of 32,000 horsepower. I have a friend who was there on Fri & Sat and liked it, but he didn't go back for Sunday.

Unlike Virgil (welcome back, great to see Rhonda), I know one team who couldn't wait to get out of there. They never like the idea from the moment it was announced and still don't. Did you notice on Race Day that Wilk refered to it as "a novelty", and said he was being politically correct.

I found the eliminations to be very confusing and hard to tell who was running in what lane. They completely ignored the reaction times. Too much else to deal with.

I don't like the 4-wide and I'll bet that many spectators may be 1-timers, having been there done that!

I suspect that many of the fans on Saturday came to watch history and say they were there, and to get the sensory overload of 32,000 horsepower. I have a friend who was there on Fri & Sat and liked it, but he didn't go back for Sunday.

Unlike Virgil (welcome back, great to see Rhonda), I know one team who couldn't wait to get out of there. They never like the idea from the moment it was announced and still don't. Did you notice on Race Day that Wilk refered to it as "a novelty", and said he was being politically correct.

I found the eliminations to be very confusing and hard to tell who was running in what lane. They completely ignored the reaction times. Too much else to deal with.

I don't like the 4-wide and I'll bet that many spectators may be 1-timers, having been there done that!

Could it be that the team had a mind set before hand and were too stubborn to change, and that caused them to blame all their problems on the 4 wide?

Wilk called it a novelty, but others called it an adrenalin rush. There were no staging games after Friday, because drivers found out how quickly you can lose by playing them. No team orders, everyone made all out runs because it was necessary for their survival. Did anyone notice the late lane change in our 2nd round elimination run? After all cars were in their water box except us (we had last lane choice), Kalitta decided to change. No problems, no hassle, not noticed by the fans.

The lights were simple if you took a moment to understand them. There were four pre stage lights, 2 top yellow for your pair of lanes, 2 outside blue for the other pair, and four stage lights, 2 bottom yellow for your pair, and 2 inner blue for the other pair of lanes. How hard is that to understand?

The reaction times were shown on the broadcast accross the top of the screen for each lane. Some drivers were cutting very good lights all weekend. Some drivers stayed confused and suffered.

I have pictures of the pits from all three days that show they were packed. And I have some looking down the stands on both sides of the track taken from behind the water box that show the stands full on Saturday. Wish I knew how to post them to counter act the shot of BB late Friday evening.

We went to the event excited and open minded, listened to the explanations of how it was to work, and guess what? We had a great time and enjoyed every moment of the event. No regrets, nothing negative to say except that I wish our southern weather would have been nicer all three days.

And I opened my local newspaper going to dinner with my wife last night, and in the sports section was a full page of drag racing coverage including a large color picture of ZMax raceway and four cars going down track. This newspaper usually doesn't even list results of drag racing. I feel this is another sign that the 4 wide was and is good for the sport as a whole.

I agree that the television coverage needs some work, but it was their first event to cover of this type also. I did notice more interviews with a different set of interviewees.

I learned a long time ago that a business is either growing or dying, it never stays the same. Drag racing is a business, and for it to grow, new ideas need to be implemented. Old ways are not going to cut it any more because the world and the people in it have changed.

I respect everyone's views and their right to voice them, as I hope all of you respect my rights also. I only ask that you look at the big picture and judge this event realizing that it was the first of it's kind and there are kinks that will be worked out. It was different, and sometimes we have a hard time accepting things that are different. But remember how you feel about variety being the "spice of life".

4 fuel cars at once has to be awesome ! That said did you catch Heights Interview after Hitting Jeff Arends Car ?

NHRA goes to all these lengths for safety then allows a race where a Driver has to run all out reguardless of conditions with his car simply because he has no idea what the other two cars are doing !
A recipe for a Disaster ! IMO

but that could have happened if it was just Arend vs Robert.....Robert was out on Arend, it's raceday, he didnt see Jeff ahead of him and stuck with it and unfortunately they made contact......Luckily nothing/nobody was hurt except some carbon fiber and a set of headers

JMHO here.
After watching it on TV, I personally came away thinking that it was bad for business and embarrassing for the NHRA.
Remember, this is my opinion.

If I were a sponsor in a stagnant economy, in a flatline growing sport like the NHRA, and thinking this was all the NHRA could come up with and that this is what lay ahead, I would be pulling out. I would be thinking "what about me"?
Yes, the winning car got the TV camera for their respective sponsors, but the last place cars didn't get a second of attention for their sponsor.
The event successfully made over half of the entrants irrevelevant.

Sometimes change is good, and sometime its not. It's not the fans that drive motorsports, it's funding from sponsors that light the intake charge. What makes a happy sponsor? I think we all know that it's camera time and attention. I would think that after watching the event on TV, some sponsors may feel that their ROI was fine, but most will feel there was nothing worth their advertising investment.
This was a race that took the NHRA from a great sport to some sort of silly county fair side show. I also couldn't help but find myself looking at all of the empty seats for this event. There were a LOT..

Personally, I would concentrate on getting back to 1,320, along with promoting their drivers instead of the costume.

Last edited:
This pictures confirms it.
dsb_5003_20100326_1795508405.jpg

I've never been to an event on a friday night and the stands were this empty. Just seems like the stands should be packed.

Wow...Talk about 15,000 people dressed up as Empty seats!:confused:

Here's my two cents for what its worth. 4 wide is not a permanent change. As of right now its once a year. What's wrong with that? How can you compare drag racing to wrestling? I don't see the similarity. I think its pretty cool to change things up once in a while. As much as everyone has complained about it, it sure has created a buzz whether good or bad. From what I understand the drivers were pretty excited about it. The TV coverage was confusing but it was cool as hell seeing 4 nitro cars at once. Had to be one hell of a sensory overload for those that attended. I love drag racing no matter what. We will have to wait and see how this all plays out in the end.

but that could have happened if it was just Arend vs Robert.....Robert was out on Arend, it's raceday, he didnt see Jeff ahead of him and stuck with it and unfortunately they made contact......Luckily nothing/nobody was hurt except some carbon fiber and a set of headers

Yep but the law of averages says otherwise ! If you see the car in the other lane 1/8 of a mile ahead there is no reason to stand on a hurt motor , or keep running out of the groove !
It's the cars you can't see that's the problem ! Jeff was just there !
It's not that run in particular it's what Robert said ! Drivers have no way of knowing whats going on and they are racing unseen cars !

It's an easy fix ! One winner per pair and the risks are not any more than usual ! Just saying !

Of course Virgil's gonna like it, he went two rounds in one pass.

Someone has to explain this statement to me. We went one round by getting to the finish line sooner than two of the four competitors, one of which would have been the car we would have ran if it was only 2 at a time. I cannot for the life of me understand how that situation can be twisted enough to make that statement Al.

Robert admitted to overdriving the car, and there is no excuse for a driver to ever let his car get that far out of shape and still be in the throttle no matter how many vehicles are involved. You will never win if you cross the lane barriers so it makes much more sense to shut off prior to crossing the centerline, hitting cones or the wall.

As far as the sponsors go, any of them that bought their marketing partner based on TV time, also do commercials during the telecasts, in car cameras, and other tools to increase their exposure. But no one can justify the amounts needed to fund a team based solely on TV time and ratings.

Robert over drove the car, plain and simple. It happens, called driver error. 4-wide had nothing to do with it.
Get used to it folks 4-wide is here to stay. No it won't replace 2-wide totally.
But it's good for the sport, and good for the lower funded teams. Sit back & enjoy.

All the excitement about 32,000 HP, more noise, etc. might be OK for the in-person spectator. But for the spectator watching on TV that means nothing. What am I suppose to do, increase the TV volume twice as much and watch tiny cars?

As a TV spectator most of the time, this was not a good race to watch.

TOO MANY REPLAYS!!!! I can only watch a run so many times before it becomes, "OK, OK, I've seen it already".

Also, I now call my ATV an ATV. Not a QUAD!

Someone has to explain this statement to me. We went one round by getting to the finish line sooner than two of the four competitors, one of which would have been the car we would have ran if it was only 2 at a time. I cannot for the life of me understand how that situation can be twisted enough to make that statement Al.

Robert admitted to overdriving the car, and there is no excuse for a driver to ever let his car get that far out of shape and still be in the throttle no matter how many vehicles are involved. You will never win if you cross the lane barriers so it makes much more sense to shut off prior to crossing the centerline, hitting cones or the wall.

As far as the sponsors go, any of them that bought their marketing partner based on TV time, also do commercials during the telecasts, in car cameras, and other tools to increase their exposure. But no one can justify the amounts needed to fund a team based solely on TV time and ratings.

sorry got the lane and finish order transposed

Can't disagree or for that matter agree with most of what's been posted across two or three threads related to 4-wide racing. I guess the bottom line is I just don't like it and won't waste my time or money go to watch 4-lane racing.

I usually go to Vegas2 and Ponoma and visit some family on the west coast. Cancelled my reservations for Vegas 2 and then decided to just stay home and not go to the finals at Pomona either. Saved a few grand. Think I'll use the savings to go watch Indy car racing instead. Sure not going to bother watching 4-wide on TV but that's my choice.

4-wide won't kill or save drag racing on its own but could put another nail in the coffin if it happens at to many races.

There was no crowd on Sunday but that was probably more related to the weather and had little or nothing to do with 4-wide

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back