2021 Isky Party (2 Viewers)

He has a Rebel helmet on, & Garlits had one like that when he raced years ago. So my vote is it is him. If not, whoever it is could make big $$$ as a Garlits look alike. heh

I didn't see him there. I was there for 930 to about 330. Sonny Messner is who is in the car. He owns it now. He also has this Suburban.

Attachments

• 20210710_122332.jpg
    20210710_122332.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 43
There is a yellow JR/D in some of the photos. Looking at it reminded me of El Lenarth's sidewinder dragster (T/F) that he ran a couple of times then crashed. Thanks to everyone for the photos. Really cool to see people there. Was kinda surprised to see Big there. He is my all time hero. Glad Jack was there too. BTW, that photo of the mountain looks a lot like Flagstaff (except Flag mountain is way taller).
The yellow Jr. Dragster is one of the ones I still have that we built. We ran 5 to 6 of them with mostly neighborhood kids that would never have had a chance to know about drag racing back when we were running them. Brought it to let kids sit in and start up. The "Swamp Rat 3" belongs to Sonny Messner now. It is the only Swamp Rat that Don ever let go of. Sonny is a very close friend and does a lot for Garlits out here on the west coast. Don was not here. Jack was a Great MC for the event. Not sure how tall Flag mountain is, but Walker Pass is 5000 feet and the shop (LTR) is at 3000 feet. Some of the peaks here are in the 6000/6500 ft. range. That boat that I tune belongs to Ed Miller and his wife Barbara. We just pulled it off the Dyno Monday and it is a 540" BB Chevy. Made 1200 HP on Gasoline. It is a River Racer class boat that Ed is learning on. He also has a Picklefork that he is building and we are doing an Alcohol motor for it. He probably will have his son in it.

Last edited:
We would like to thank everyone who made this party such a huge success. From all the friends - helpers - Gibbs and the Cackle cars - Jack - People who attended + and prize Sponsers who decided to brave the heat and come anyway it was a huge thing for Ed. Today at noon Isky was still holding Court and going strong for those who stayed overnight. It is most likely the last hoorah after 12 years. Lanny is in "Stage 4" Cancer and it is a big undertaking, but if we can find someone to host - Ed seems to have another 10/15 good years in him :cool:. This guy makes the Energizer Bunny look like a Slacker. My son made a 10 foot banner and it is pretty much full of signatures - it will be hung in the lobby at Isky's.

Well I won't say for certain whether it is or isn't him, but based upon a recent video I saw with him in it at his museum I'm pretty certain it was him. If I'm wrong, I apologize and will make a correction.
The goatee, the wire frame glasses and the Rebel helmet (I dug a picture I have of him wearing it) all add up to maybe it is him. The facial expression I've never seen before threw me off.
You gotta admit, that guy in the car could be his long lost twin!

Well it just dawned on me who is sitting in the car. That's Don "The Wavemaker" Prieto who owns the Ivo car. Don also hosts The Taco Nationals luncheon usually a week after the March Meet at his shop in Torrance; another gathering of the geezers. Sorry for the confusion, we'll call it my first senior moment ever. :rolleyes:

That's Tommy Thompson a fabricator and mechanical guru in his own right leaning over the car.

IMG_3825.JPG

BTW, on a side note, Prieto was honored at the Don Garlits Museum of Drag Racing last year.

I wonder if Don Garlits reads Nitromater? He'd probably get a kick out of us thinking he was in the Ivo car.

That looks like it was a helluva gathering. Was Ivo there? Haven't heard much about what he's been up to.

That looks like it was a helluva gathering. Was Ivo there? Haven't heard much about what he's been up to.
Ivo was NOT at the party and I am more than sure that you would not see Garlits sitting in Ivo's car. Snake was going to be there but his wife called and said that they needed to stay home because Roland was staying with them and since he ws not doing well they didn't want to leave him alone. Didn't ask for particulars but we hope he is going to be alright.

i thought I would post a few more photos I took on Saturday from the hot rod side. I got a kick out of the V-16 cam made into a hitching post.

BTW, word has it that they are going to print more t-shirts commemorating Ed's birthday. I will post a link for anyone interested in buying one.

IMG_3800.JPG
IMG_3817.JPG
IMG_3803.JPG
IMG_3818.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3817.JPG
    IMG_3817.JPG
    5.3 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3803.JPG
    IMG_3803.JPG
    6 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3800.JPG
    IMG_3800.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 12
i thought I would post a few more photos I took on Saturday from the hot rod side. I got a kick out of the V-16 cam made into a hitching post.

BTW, word has it that they are going to print more t-shirts commemorating Ed's birthday. I will post a link for anyone interested in buying one.

View attachment 8091View attachment 8092View attachment 8093View attachment 8094
Here is the link on Facebook about t shirts. Sounds like they are working out details.

The link to the shirt...

Some of the photos I took today. Pretty easy going and was able to have time to chat with everyone longer than a few minutes. First shot is of Roland Leong, my dad Larry, one of the announcers for the NHRA Reunion Bob Beck and the new Executive Director of the NHRA Museum Martin Betz.

The other photos are of people you'll recognize or I don't know.
IMG_3838.JPG
IMG_3837.JPG
IMG_3852.JPG
IMG_3853.JPG

These are cool photos. I'm glad to see Jack Beckman there. Also cool to see Roland & Snake. Those men have been friends, since, what, 1964? Somewhere around there......

Did Beckman say anything about future plans? Asking for a friend.....

Just spoke with Jack momentarily and hasn't said anything to me about his future. There's suppose to be another birthday gathering next month at the Automobile Driving Museum in El Segundo.

Here's a couple of more including Ed Pink, Bob Brandt and Harry "Handgrande" Hibler.

IMG_3851.JPG
IMG_3840.JPG

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back