15 years ago today...... (1 Viewer)

I was there, John Force had to write him a check. Also Jim Epler ran the first Funny Car 300 MPH pass at that same event.

It's really amazing how it's evolved during this short time. Here today, if you don't have a 300 run, people just wonder why. I remember sitting in the stands at the Motorplex just a few years before that for the Top Fuelers.... maybe 2 or 3 cars in the field were even capable of hitting 300... You could just tell by hearing them idle who it would be that did it. I used to sit next to my Dad, and as 2 cars fired up & burned out, he'd hold up 4 fingers tyring to guess who it's be. And when they did, the crowd went nuts.

It's really amazing how it's evolved during this short time. Here today, if you don't have a 300 run, people just wonder why. I remember sitting in the stands at the Motorplex just a few years before that for the Top Fuelers.... maybe 2 or 3 cars in the field were even capable of hitting 300... You could just tell by hearing them idle who it would be that did it. I used to sit next to my Dad, and as 2 cars fired up & burned out, he'd hold up 4 fingers tyring to guess who it's be. And when they did, the crowd went nuts.

Wasn't it like a full year between KB's 301 and the next 300mph pass?

I have a story related to that pass. I was told the story from somebody that heard it from somebody else, yadda yadda- but I beleive it to be close to accurate.

Back in those days, Etchells was buying used blowers from Joe Amato. Just so happened, Tim Richards was crew chief for Etchells at the time, and had been at Amatos previous to this as we all know. Well after the 4 second pass, they were keeping track a little bit of what parts were on the car. Richards got to the blower, and it was marked whatever it was called during it's days at Amato racing. Just so happened that Richards saw it, seemed to remember that blower was never ran worth a DAMN no matter what they did with it on Joes car!!!!!! I got a kick out of it.

anymore im yet to really see crowds go wild im only 20 years old and never got to expeciance it

I'm afraid that the days of crowds going nuts due to a cars performance are long gone.

I saw Eddie Hill run Low ET of the World in '92 at Pomona2 when he went 4.77. I thought that I had died and gone to heaven and the bleachers just about collapsed from the crowd going wild.

With all of the recent changes and the big ones around the corner, I think that 4.42 and 337 will remain as the fastest of all time.

There is something very sad about my first sentence. :(

I can remember it like yesterday. I watched and video taped the whole thing from the HPT tower lined up right behind Chuck E.'s lane he ran the first four on. The whole place was really buzzing already because Jim Epler has already run 299.90 on a qualifying run, way faster than anyone ever had in a funny car before.
Many may remember the meeting that took place on the starting line between all the NHRA officials, the Castrol folks and all the funny car pilots before the amazing session took place where it was decided 25G's would go to the first in the 4's and Force would throw in 10G's of his own money. Obviously, John thought he would be the first in the 4's because he was way up in the line (second or third pair I think). Anyways a brake caliper failed that was discovered after his burnout and John Force was shut off before he had his chance with destiny. A few pairs later, Chuck made the famous run. I will never forget how perfectly straight it looked, how effortless and smooth, and 4.98 popped up on the boards. John Force later told Steve Evans that the barriers that fell at Topeka that weekend took away his reasons for living in only the way JF can!
I was going to transfer my video tape to DVD and maybe see if NHRA historical services might be interested in it as a document of the events from a very complete although very amateur viewpoint. Does anyone have any insider info as to who to contact about something like this?

anymore im yet to really see crowds go wild im only 20 years old and never got to expeciance it

You missed a lot, no doubt, but there's more to come...

The last time I heard a crowd go absolutely nuts was Schumacher's 4.428 to win the championship on the final pass of the year - love him or hate him, it was an incredible run & I'm glad I was there.

I was there also along with my oldest son, who was really young at the time. Great day for sure! He still has all his shirts and autographs from that day. Some over the years have gone away, we've been to every National Event at Topeka.

i was at gainsville when kb ran the big number. the place was up for grabs. the car was arched up in the middle. never had seen that beforethat much. it was awesome. like paul said. we probably have seen the last of the big numbers. hell i want to go back to the late 60's and watch the mid-week funny car shows at cordova il., they were the best. those guys could put on a show.

The only thing I can relate that excitement too in some weird way, would be 3 months ago in July. I was watching from the staging lanes here at Denver on Friday when they sent down the 1st thousand foot nitro car. Don't remember who it was that ran, but I vividly remember specificaly watching Lee Beard's reaction. Then as the "good" cars came up, even the Funny Car people were all watching with anticipation. There was an electricity in the air, and alot of bench racing between the teams as they strapped thier drivers in. The night session was pretty wild too; the numbers kept getting lower as the bigger cars cycled through. That was pretty cool, especially being at Bandimere where you traditionally don't see excitement over the numbers, except maybe out of 1 or 2 passes.

Heath, try this email contact with your video stuff, [email protected]. He would be the man to contact, but do it by email, don't try calling.

Topeka that weekend was WAY special, Etchells and Eplers runs forever drove home the validity of Heartland Park Topeka. NHRA even listed the event as one of the all time biggest events in a recent edition of National Dragster.

Got to see a lot of special events in my years @ HPT, and have a pretty special collection of photos and clippings.

Unk

I'm afraid that the days of crowds going nuts due to a cars performance are long gone.

I saw Eddie Hill run Low ET of the World in '92 at Pomona2 when he went 4.77. I thought that I had died and gone to heaven and the bleachers just about collapsed from the crowd going wild.

With all of the recent changes and the big ones around the corner, I think that 4.42 and 337 will remain as the fastest of all time.

There is something very sad about my first sentence. :(

Come home for xmas mate, the first funny car 4 in Australia WILL happen either on boxing day in Perth or by Densham a week later at Willowbank. My money is on Di Filippo in Perth. I assure you the crowd will go NUTS

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back