Houston Raceway Park - where we lost Maynard Yingst (1 Viewer)

BaldyLochs

Nitro Member
For you "old school" racers & fans out there, take a moment with me this weekend to remember Maynard Yingst, Crew Chief on Chuck Etchells' nitro funny car - who sadly died completley unexpectedly years ago at this racetrack from a brain annurysm - while he was in the pits, doing what he loved. What a neat guy and and quite an intriguing story behind him. I got to know him on a first name basis...over a couple years, just from attending alot of races. He was one of those guys who would stop and shoot the breeze with anybody. Maynard was also a former Winston Drag Racing World Champion Crew Chief - on Bruce Larson's Sentry Tachs Oldsmobile nitro funny car. But even before his great NHRA success, he was a very fierce competitor on the Sprint Car circuits in the northeast. I was at HRP the day we lost Maynard, and his untimely death hit all the racers like a ton of bricks. He was very close to Tim Richards, and several other nitro drivers & tuners.

We miss you, Leadfoot !

I was lucky enough to get to watch Maynard in a Sprint Car for many years. He was one hell of a racer and he is dearly missed. His brother Dave is still out there turning wrenches and is one of the top crew chiefs in Sprint Cars today. RIP Maynard.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back