Remembering Maynard Yingst; a true Angel who left HRP 15 years ago (1 Viewer)

BaldyLochs

Nitro Member
The Houston race is upon us, which for me always brings mixed emotions. On Saturday at the '93 race, Chuck Etchell's wonderful Crew Chief Maynard Yingst suffered a fatal brain annerysm in the pits. Most drag race fans knew Maynard from tuning Bruce Larson to a Winston Drag Racing World Championship in the Sentry Tachs Oldsmobile Nitro Funny Car.
But much more people knew him from his Sprint Car days, nicknamed "The Leetsdale Leadfoot". Maynard was quickly able to morph into one of the most respected nitro tuners in the world. I knew him just as a casual fan of the Etchell's camp and I also followed him a little bit & met him on several occaisions in dirt track racing before that. He was a wonderful person, with an incredible mechanical aptitude and a genuine love of life and all forms of racing in general. I honestly believe we never saw what he was truly capable of in drag racing.

His sudden death shocked the drag racing world. I was at that race... and I tell you, I never want to be in that situation again, being hit with that horrific news, so unexpected. Ever. I will never forget seeing Tim Richards RUNNING through the pits in an absolute panic over to Chuck's trailer. Horrible memories.

Still, I absolutley know with all my heart that this weekend, Maynard will be right there at HRP, smiling down with Eric Medlen & Darrell Russell..... talking about racing and cheering all the cars on all weekend long.

Maynard, you're a good man and I miss you. We will never forget you, buddy!

Great post, Chris. I always held Maynard in high regard. I will think of him often this weekend... He's got the best seat in the house - as you said, right next to Eric, Darrell, Wally, Al, etc...

Maynard at Williams Grove
yingst.jpg

He was my son's favorite sprint car driver. Had to have his #88 race car on his 4th birthday cake.

Maynard was a GREAT friend of our family. We were really close with Bruce Larson and ALL of his crew. The death of Maynard was a HUGE loss to our family. We will always remember him. I know he is sitting up there with Darrell, Eric, Wally, Al and My dad!! Enjoy the race this weekend guys! :)

One of Maynard's last sprint rides driving for Roy Morral in 1987 at Hagerstown Speedway

880.jpg

My Dad was very involved with the Central PA sprint scene of the 1980's and I remember him talking to Maynard in Larson's pit area at Maple Grove. He said "Kenny, I wasn't doing anything else, so here I am." He turned out to be a pretty good nitro crew chief, and he's very missed.

I can't believe it's been 15 years already. I never met him but I always thought Maynard seemed like a really good guy. That's a hell of a story Chris, I'm glad I wasn't there. I remember that Maynard had a very young son at the time and I remember feeling bad that Steven Yingst would never get to really know his Papa.

Dave

Way before I got hooked on drag racing, I was a big sprint car fan (still am, for that matter), but knew mostly about West Coast and Midwest drivers. Maynard was the first member of "The Pennsylvania Posse" that i got to know because we were involved in drag racing and shared a love for the dirtslingers.

I knew him first as a "crew chief in training," and I used my then-CompuServe links to help him keep up with the weekly Maple Grove action, trading that information for some insights into the nuts and bolts of Funny Cars.

I was devastated when we lost him - so suddenly and so young. It took me about a year to quit expecting to see him when I was in the pits and I still miss the opportunity to pick his brain about Funny Cars and Sprint Cars. Most of all, however, I still feel the pain his wife and young son suffered at the sudden loss of a loving husband and father.

RIP Maynard, I still miss you.

Great stories. It sounds like a couple of you knew him better than I did. I'm sure his family would be honored. I try each year to post a little something about him here. He's another great name permanently etched in the history of NHRA Drag Racing that we can all be proud of.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back