You're Welcome (1 Viewer)

Clarence, Gary Beck was actually from Washington. He did live in Canada a few years (Edmonton), but I think that was because his wife was Canadian. Lotsa people back then (including me) thought he was Canadian, but he was US citizen. He did bring a lot of exposure to Canadian drag racing, so maybe you could call him a semi-native. :) Many, many great racers from Canada. Wish they still had a national meet there.
If you were to marry a Canadian it would definitely rub off and also make you a dual citizen. We had for a number of years up until the crash of 2008 IHRA national events that were really up to par with the big show.

For every thread and comment when FOX cut coverage short, or started late, or missed whatever.
Not one Atta Boy! for last Friday night, when we were delayed by rain, and then had an oil down first car down the track and FOX stayed with us over an hour past our scheduled time and showed every Nitro Car that went down the track.

I guess I'm really not all that surprised.

Alan
It’s because the customer is always right! LOL

Cliff, Barona shut down looks short but its really not. However the track will probably never switch to 1/4 mile due to a dispute with a neighboring land owner. There are some other options but I dont think you see it happen as the costs would be just huge.
I am on the brakes a little harder at Barona than some other tracks - definitely no coasting - but never felt the shutdown was too short. However, the hairpin turn onto the return road is another story! :)

The staff at Barona are friendly, enthusiastic, hardworking and really dig their track. It is a great place for a new racer to learn the craft as you can make a zillion runs on a TnT day. I would advise anyone thinking about drag racing to rent a car, go to Barona and make laps. My wife had a great time making her first passes ever in our tow vehicle. The Beef N Chedda is a wonderful lunchtime treat.
They really are passionate about how the track is run and it's where my son got his first passes on a drag strip. I was just reading a thread on ClassRacer where an inexperienced racer cut another car off trying to make the first turnout (not at Barona - there's only one). Suggested solutions were driver's meetings prior to racing where they talk about things like courtesy staging and turnout etiquette. To their credit Barona does this, unlike many tracks.

Whelp, this thread is completely off the rails.......

Last edited:
You are right. Barona is the only place with regular drivers meetings to cover things like turn-off eitquette and other simple but important things to observe while you are making your zillion laps. I licensed there and made all six laps before 3p.m.

You guys proved my point again, when you were rewarded with extra coverage I waited three days for someone to say "That was cool" and heard nothing until I started this thread. But when we get bumped, it took, what? A couple hours if that? For someone to complain. And I'm not saying that I think you shouldn't complain, I'm just saying that if you do, you should also acknowledge when you get something extra.

Alan

Not to drag this whole thing out again but as much as I see your point I would compare it to, fair or not, making an appointment with your doctor. You expect him to be there but if he often shows up late, or not at all, you're not going to thank him when he stays over late to finish. I assume what bothers you more are the ones that do nothing but complain. I don't like that either but addressing it is a waste of time. For me I'm disappointed when I have my heart set on watching and it's not there. When it comes to qualifying if the first show is a bust I don't usually watch the second show. I wait and watch the race. I do think the negativity is often pointed in the wrong direction but for me I expect it to be there when it is suppose to be. Sorry I butted in again. You were not talking to me, lol.

its the 'offensive lineman' rational .... they can protect the quarterback most of the game but u wont here their name mentioned until they are caught for 'holding'

Alan, you know what? I think we are all jaded. When I first started going to the drags, it took ONE WEEK to get results and that was cuz I subscribed to Drag News. If I waited on Hot Rod to cover Pomona, 2 months. We didn't have jumbo vision screens. No score boards. I'd always sit by a loudspeaker to hear the times. Now, we get mad if the drags aren't on as advertised. I am just as guilty as anyone at getting ticked at TV coverage, until I remember how it used to be. sigh

I totally see your point Alan, but I think what the problem is is that 99.9% of the time NHRA is getting bumped or pushed back....and its only 1% of NHRA bumping others or getting extra coverage. I was too busy giving back the stripe .008 so I didn't even know it got bumped till I got home.

"There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games. "
Ernest Hemingway

Now stand aside while we show bowling on TV instead of running the scheduled NHRA show later....

"There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games. "
Ernest Hemingway

Now stand aside while we show bowling on TV instead of running the scheduled NHRA show later....

You do realize that bowling was the number one watched sport at one time?

I think Fox does a great job covering the NHRA races and provides a nice show. For some reason people think it should not ever get bumped and complain about it which makes no sense if you think about the big picture. What live sporting event will abruptly stop broadcasting at the top of the hour just so an NHRA taped qualifying event can be shown? Sorry but some of you think WAY to highly of our sport.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back