You requested it- George Bryce podcast interview on his Harley issue (1 Viewer)

Going to check it out now. :)

edit - done listening.

Thank you, John, for listening to me and getting George's side of the story. George isn't one to bull$hit about the facts. He's told the same story of this Harley fiasco from day one. Hopefully the doubters will listen to this and see that George is telling the truth about NHRA/V&H/Harley.

Blake Gann backs up what George Bryce has been saying for a long time:
Blake Gann also is miffed why no other Pro Stock Motorcycle racer, except Andrew Hines and Krawiec, can utilize Harley-Davidson parts.

“Anybody that does a Suzuki cylinder head, for example, you have to have X amount of heads and parts available to the public,” Gann said. “Even though you do not have to have them make as much horsepower as what you’re running, you have to have that part available to your competitor. But, you can’t buy a V-Rod. The engines that are in their Screamin’ Eagles bikes are billet one-off engines made at their shop (in Brownsburg, Ind.). You can’t buy cylinder heads, you can’t buy a cylinder, and you can’t buy a set of engine cases. There’s not one piece of that motor bike that’s available to public or a competitor. Period. So, how is that fair?”

And read the BS NHRA pulled on him:
According to Gann, in 2007 he developed a cylinder head for the Suzuki-powered NHRA Pro Stock Motorcycles.

“They (NHRA) approached us and this was at a time when the Suzukis were a little behind,” Blake said. “They (NHRA) said we hear you have the means to build a cylinder head and you want to and we’re approaching you to see if you want to continue that and we would go ahead and encourage you to do it and we will approve it if you do and it has more power. So, we developed a new cylinder head and it was a pretty cool deal.”

After completing the cylinder head a few years back, Gann then followed the protocol to get the part approved by NHRA.

“They told us to submit the papers at Indy that year and we did,” Gann said. “At (the second) Vegas race, they (NHRA) told us that they (NHRA) decided we only had to do 15 of them (cylinder heads for Suzukis). The rule used to be that you had to have 30 castings or parts on the shelf to meet their requirements, but that’s when Suzukis had the whole field. Of course now there’s three brands out there and sometimes four. They (NHRA) asked us if doing 15 cylinder heads was a problem and I told them it was not a problem. Then, they call me right before the PIR (Performance Racing Industry) show in Orlando, and said is it possible you can have one of those things (the Suzuki cylinder head) roughed out so we could take a look at it, so we can take picture of it and look at it. I said, no problem. Then, two weeks before the start of the Gatornationals, they (NHRA) called and said that (cylinder) head project is over, forget it. That was pretty devastating because the last time I had talked to them, I told Danny Gra
cia (NHRA’s National Technical Director), I said, 'look dude I’m going back to the house and I have to spend $40,000 (to continue this cylinder head project), so I really need to make sure this cylinder head is a go'. He (Gracia) said go back home and get to work on it. Then, two weeks before the Gators, I had engines ready and everything to run the (cylinder) head and they (NHRA) just pulled the plug on it.”

Once Gann made it the Gators, he claims the NHRA technical group had a change of heart.

“They said, we’ve decided we are going to let you do this deal, and can you have the engine done on the dyno and bring us a running engine to Atlanta,” Blake said. “I said sure. So I come home get the engines ready and jump through all the hoops again and get to Atlanta and he (Gracia) brings a letter over that said I’ve been denied. It was crazy. I already had orders for the cylinder head when I got to Atlanta. Wesley Wells had ordered one, Mike Berry had ordered one, Paul Gast had ordered one and everybody who ordered one was at that race in Atlanta. They couldn’t believe the deal didn’t go down and I have no idea why the NHRA denied me (for the cylinder heads). I have not tried to re-submit it (the Suzuki cylinder head) because every time I mention that I’m going to go over and talk to them (NHRA) about it, they roll their eyes and are like you can re-submit if you want to waste your time. No, I do not want to waste my time. I do not have time to waste.”

Gann did complete his Suzuki cylinder head project and the cylinder heads are in use, just not in the NHRA.

“I have sold several of the cylinder heads and several guys in the ADRL (American Drag Racing League) are using them,” Gann said. “Charlie Prophit is running my cylinder head, and we have several guys out there running them right now (in the ADRL), they’re just not where I intended them to be. I made 15 of those Suzuki cylinder heads and I spent a fortune doing it. We probably have $200,000 in the project.”
http://www.competitionplus.com/drag-racing/news/15571-psm-riders-fear-class-parity-off-again

Last edited:
Thanks John and George, as aoon as NHRA remembers that it's their show and they don't have to let Harley run it maybe things will change.

I had a lot of requests to interview George and when I contacted him, he agreed to tell his story. And thank you for listening to it.

Great story, George Bryce always ran my favorite Pro Stock Bike Teams, wish he were still running the NHRA circuit.

Just remember, this is George's story and what he experienced. Important to keep that in mind.

It appears that HD wants to be in the sport on their OWN conditions. And NHRA feels that the HD presence in the sport is SO needed that they can get away with it.

It appears HD doesn't want the technology they have wondering around the PSM pit area with multiple teams.

From a HD standpoint it is much better for business to have far superior HD's winning championships vs. a field of nothing but Suzukis and Buells THAN a field of 14 HD's.

The FOCUS is on the product and not the riders and team members, much like what we have right now. AND HD feels this is best for the $$$ on the HD showroom floor (or catalogue)

However, in a competitive atmosphere of racing where hundreds of thousands of dollars, livelihoods, and lives are on the line all for what seems like only thousands of dollars, the NHRA must say: anyone who can build a tech ready motorcycle can race. No matter if you have sponsor backing or the lent in your pocket.

Really the only one that can put this to rest is NHRA & HD, however, I doubt that we will ever hear anything from either of them.

I would tend to agree, Darin. However, George has been singin' this song for quite some time with absolutely no wavering since he started, and unless I've missed it somewhere, there has been all but no rebuttal from the Vance & Hines Camp, much less the sanctioning body. My money's on GB, hands-down. ;)

You know, I've always watched the bikes, but not with a ton of interest. This situation, however, has got me paying more attention if nothing else. :)

Sean D

I would tend to agree, Darin. However, George has been singin' this song for quite some time with absolutely no wavering since he started, and unless I've missed it somewhere, there has been all but no rebuttal from the Vance & Hines Camp, much less the sanctioning body. My money's on GB, hands-down. ;)

You know, I've always watched the bikes, but not with a ton of interest. This situation, however, has got me paying more attention if nothing else. :)

Sean D

I've always watched the bikes too Sean but, like you, without much interest. John needs to get HD or NHRA to flat out say "no you can't run a Harley".

why don't the parties involved here iron out their differences; maybe
a level playing field would renew interest from Kawasaki & even Honda?

Great idea, min. weight + max cu.in. (for ALL ) build what you want.

i don't have a clue about how to set rules, all i'm suggesting is there's a
few more mfgr's that may want to participate, maybe even with
a factory team....imagine if honda thru it's resources behind a factory
effort..... and developed a FC body, and a PS body which is something
they could beat toyota to.... everyone seemed shocked when toyota entered
american racing series; how about woo honda into nhra before nascar does?
toyota seems to be doing a great job with brand awareness in nhra.

sorry to sidetrack thread, but look at the horsepower in the other thread
with '10 wide' 1/4 mile race; why shouldn't some of those body styles be
racing PS?... the V8's or greater in those machines are every bit as impressive,
if not more, than anything built by the 'big 3' here in the states.
why can't NHRA PS become an int'l. display of straight line factory horsepower?.... fuel injected of course.

Maybe E.K. can take George out ot lunch , maybe George can invite the Tv cameras to come along and video E.K. explaining to George why he cant buy a Motor from him .....

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back