Hight would love to see match racing come back (1 Viewer)

john

Nitro Member
Robert High Podcast | rpm2night.com

that's the link to the podcast interview with Robert Hight that I just posted at rpm2night.com

he updates us on shafty, talks about topeka win, looks ahead to e-town, met a lot of indycar fans who love drag racing and more.

give it a listen when you get a chance.

thanks
JK

Robert High Podcast | rpm2night.com

that's the link to the podcast interview with Robert Hight that I just posted at rpm2night.com

he updates us on shafty, talks about topeka win, looks ahead to e-town, met a lot of indycar fans who love drag racing and more.

give it a listen when you get a chance.

thanks
JK

I agree completely with Robert, i think the only problem is the money and trying to book guys in, Bader's the only guy to do it successful currently.

Not only is money an issue but attracting a good crowd these days as well. The nostalgia nitro funny car race at vegas looked like a ghost town from the looks of the stands. Also, NHRA's test ban gums up the works too.

Maybe what needs to happen is to take a John Force "Road Show" approach and have separate nitro funny car teams available for just match racing owned by Force and Shoe as well as a few others. They could run second hand parts used in the big show and it could serve as a training ground for new drivers and crews to race in secondary markets.

Last edited:
Not only is money an issue but attracting a good crowd these days as well. The nostalgia nitro funny car race at vegas looked like a ghost town from the looks of the stands.

Yeah Rich, those 50 mph wind gusts and postponement of the finals until Monday helped a little...

I agree completely with Robert, i think the only problem is the money and trying to book guys in, Bader's the only guy to do it successful currently.

I believe the Baders are the best Promoters in Drag racing today! Taking care of the Racefan is their Priority, pure and simple! NHRA could learn a lot from them!

Not only is money an issue but attracting a good crowd these days as well. The nostalgia nitro funny car race at vegas looked like a ghost town from the looks of the stands. Also, NHRA's test ban gums up the works too.

Maybe what needs to happen is to take a John Force "Road Show" approach and have separate nitro funny car teams available for just match racing owned by Force and Shoe as well as a few others. They could run second hand parts used in the big show and it could serve as a training ground for new drivers and crews to race in secondary markets.

You also need a hodge podge of different things, Nitro Funny Cars, Jet Cars, Wheelstanders. E-Town's famous events were the Crazy Eddie Night Of Thrills, US All Pro Funny Car Championships and the Super Funny Car Spectacular. The only problem currently is that RP is more trying to market to kids by booking a handful of monster trucks and this year retired the All American Jet Car Nationals and turned it into an All Monster Truck events when the other events have monster trucks anyways. I guess to them it's better to pay for Tom Meents and Grave Digger and a bunch of others from Monster Jam than get several Nitro Funny Cars.

Yeah Rich, those 50 mph wind gusts and postponement of the finals until Monday helped a little...

Being it was Las Vegas also never helped. Nostalgia events have never really pulled a crowd to Vegas and then most of the people in stands were the sportsman racers waiting for their turn....

I wasn't going to mention this but... I think calling it the Rock-a-billy race or what ever it was called, didn't help either. You need a name that grabs people and I'm not sure that did. Just my opinion. I think of old black primer rat rods not 250 MPH nitro funny cars. Also, I watched some of it on the internet and they mentioned the winds in the middle of the afternoon if I recall, but not sure that kept the crowd away if people were already planning to go. It's to bad, I want to see it be a success.

One of the problems staging events like that at a place like Vegas is that the place is so big that even if you do get a good size crowd of 10,000 people the place still looks empty. That why I like smaller market tracks.

I wasn't going to mention this but... I think calling it the Rock-a-billy race or what ever it was called, didn't help either. You need a name that grabs people and I'm not sure that did. Just my opinion. I think of old black primer rat rods not 250 MPH nitro funny cars.

We will see what a name change does here in the next couple weeks at Cordova. In years past the June special event has been called Slingshot Nationals, Nitro Nationals and most recently Nostalgiafest. This year it is call Nitro Blast & Jet Warz. In the past the event focused on nostalgia type cars, this year there will be Jets, Nitro Nostalgia FC, Promods, plus a whole load of other stuff to appease the average fan. This should be the best year yet IMO.

We will see what a name change does here in the next couple weeks at Cordova. In years past the June special event has been called Slingshot Nationals, Nitro Nationals and most recently Nostalgiafest. This year it is call Nitro Blast & Jet Warz. In the past the event focused on nostalgia type cars, this year there will be Jets, Nitro Nostalgia FC, Promods, plus a whole load of other stuff to appease the average fan. This should be the best year yet IMO.

Of course it will be, we'll be there!

Tony and Cruz P. are match racing both at Lancaster, a hole in the ground eighth mile track in Western New York, and at Toronto Motorsports Park over the July 4th weekend, so I guess it can be done. I imagine both tracks will have big crowds for these races and Lancaster is certainly no where near a National Event type facility.

Aaron, Lancaster is about 60 miles down the road from me. Little 1/8 mile track, with a VERY short shutdown. But, it pulls big crowds, and the stands are so close to the track you feel like you could reach out and touch the cars. Kind of like what I was told about Lions.

Aaron, Lancaster is about 60 miles down the road from me. Little 1/8 mile track, with a VERY short shutdown. But, it pulls big crowds, and the stands are so close to the track you feel like you could reach out and touch the cars. Kind of like what I was told about Lions.

lions.jpg

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back