for those wondering, the drama in PSM is real, and you could build and race a Harley (1 Viewer)

john

Nitro Member
Steve Johnson Podcast Dallas | rpm2night.com

New podcast with Steve Johnson. We address the bike controversy, it's not made up, it's real and we might see more in the coming weeks.

He also clears things up on the "Harley" rule.

you can either listen to the podcast, or hit the download button and check it out later.

thanks,
JK

Re: for those wondering, the drama in PSM is real, and you could build and race a Har

Great Podcast!

Re: for those wondering, the drama in PSM is real, and you could build and race a Har

Thank you, Steve and John for the insider's view of the Pro Stock bike war. I am not a "solo suzuki" type of guy, but I have always been a fan of Steve Johnson...

Last edited:

John, thanks as usual.

PSB has always held a minimal amount of my attention; this recent
storyline has honestly changed that.... IMO v&h are to PSB what the
top 5 in TF are, what the summit cars are to PS, but in PSB they IMO have
closer parity.....geckos, eagles, chickens and gators share same spot on
food chain.
It is intriguing to listen to this built up animosity in PSB - it does attach
real drama to individual elimination runs.

thanks for listening. and for those of you who haven't, you can now download the podcasts from the site and then playback later on your computer or mp3 player.

i've always been a big fan of the bikes and i'm glad it's now getting more attention!

Steve himself admits several times that he might not be the best source of info about building a Hardley. How about interviewing the man that actually tried and was shot down by NHRA, V&H and Harley: George Bryce!

Steve himself admits several times that he might not be the best source of info about building a Hardley. How about interviewing the man that actually tried and was shot down by NHRA, V&H and Harley: George Bryce!

How about an interview with NHRA, V&H and Harley. The ones that allegedly won't let him build and race the bike?

How about an interview with NHRA, V&H and Harley. The ones that allegedly won't let him build and race the bike?

Throw George Bryce into that meeting with NHRA, V&H and Harley and see who is not telling the truth... Oh and air it on ESPN so everyone can decide for themselves...

Registered member said:
i've always been a big fan of the bikes and i'm glad it's now getting more attention!

Pretty sad when a class gets more attention from it's off track, instead of it's on track preformance. :eek:

Paul, any attention, is good attention.

How about: "the Emperor has no clothes?"

I listen in vain for ANY ESPN II announcer to educate the viewing public as to just how inefficient, poorly-engineered, and patheic these 2-cylinder Harley-based bokes are, compared with the 4-cylinder counterparts.

The only reason they ever have a PRAYER against the Jap bikes is because of the HUGE handicap the NHRA rulebook gives them to ensure some sort of parity in the Eliminator. NHRA has done a good job of creating the potential for equal performance between the different powerplants, because as evidenced by the lack of one type of engine's domination, on any given day, the winner might well, be a Harley, OR a Suzuki.

I have NO problem with that. That's as it should be, I think.

But, Joe Blow Spectator from the grandstand, or on TV, only sees these two different types of bikes running near-identical times, and having no NHRA rulebook to look up the parameter of the class, assumes that a Harley engine is somehow the equal of a 4-cylinder Japanese powerplant when it comes to output. What else is he going to think????

Well, if the people announcing the event were doing their job, part of which is to educate the listening public to what is going on on the track, they might point out that the old rule of thumb that for any given displacement, the more cylinders an engine has, the more power it will make, and to allow a variety of types of motorcycles to race each other, some adjustments have to be made.

For example, if a Harley Pro Stock motorcycle had to carry an equal amount of weight-per-cubic-inch as a Suzuki, it would have to weigh a whopping 955 pounds, instead of the 640 it legally carires! Or, put aother way, if the Suzuki bikes only had to carry as much weight per cubic inch as the Harleys, they could race at 400 pounds instead of the rules-mandated 575/595 (depending on which engine.)

Of course, there would be NO Harleys racing under those rules, and I am in NO WAY, advocating a change to anything like that.

I am not for changing anything.

I just think that instead of this charade/sham that goes on continually, with no mention of this necessary legislated inequity by the announcers, at some point in every race, the disparity should be exposed, in the interest of truth.

They could be running Ford Flatheads in Pro Stock with the same kind of deal.

Just make the weight breaks BIG enough, and they'd run toe-to-toe with the DRCE derivitaves and "new" Hemis...

If they did that, don't you think it would be incumbent on the announcers to explain WHY and HOW that were possible???

That's essentially what we have in Pro Stock bike...

My 2-cents...

Bill, in Conway, Arkansas

All of this is very interesting to me. Two things alone would make the bikes more interesting to the viewer: Big Logos on the side like Winston ;) Shell, Busch, etc. and ESPN TV window extended 30 minutes when the bikes are at an event.

damn, a Busch Beer bike is a no brainer bad azz paint scheme. damn!

Paul, any attention, is good attention.

If I know John Kernan he already all over a George Bryce Q and A. JK has been doing the work to entertain and educate thru his site and never failed. Going out on a limb, I would say that if there is not a GBryce Q and A in the near future it's only because GBryce didn't stipulate (for whatever reason)(which is GBryce's right as a US Citizen)

Steve. I posted a podcast interview on the website with George yesterday.

John it's a dying class with little fan interest. This is nothing more than a feeble attempt to manufacture some.

paul, i respectfully disagree... did you listen to mr. bryce's comments?

John it's a dying class with little fan interest. This is nothing more than a feeble attempt to manufacture some.

When I was in Denver last year I saw a PSB pit, so I walked up and took a pic. They freaked out, going "Sir could you Step back!". Like I care about that class, the Ego's are amazing!:rolleyes:

Looks like Hector Arana Jr is choking a few Screaming Chickens. LOL

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back