WJ's New Ride (1 Viewer)

I look forward to following this as well. I enjoy watching everything that WJ does.

One part that I'm not understanding here - does he have a car or not? Earlier in the piece he says that he has to fit the motor into an engine bay designed for a flathead Ford, but later on he says that while he and Maskin are working on the engine, he will be making the car. Not sure if it was just some editing/proofreading issues or what.

Hopefully at some point we can get a more in-depth article about this. Wish him well on this adventure!

One part that I'm not understanding here - does he have a car or not? Earlier in the piece he says that he has to fit the motor into an engine bay designed for a flathead Ford, but later on he says that while he and Maskin are working on the engine, he will be making the car. Not sure if it was just some editing/proofreading issues or what.

I think you need to go back and read it again, as it was very clear that they have a car already, it just needs re-engineering and WJ is doing the work. From the article:

"I needed some special parts to do the project the way I want to do it," Johnson said. "Because the confines of the area I’ve got to work within the engine bay part of it are really restrictive because this thing was originally designed for a flathead Ford." Johnson estimates the car will make more than three horsepower per cubic inch.

"I’m re-engineering the whole car to make it right," Johnson said. "Maskin and I are going to work on the motor project and I’m going to make the car, well it’s obviously a car that’s very efficient aerodynamically, but mechanically it’s a total disaster, so I’ve got a lot of work to do."

I think you need to go back and read it again, as it was very clear that they have a car already, it just needs re-engineering and WJ is doing the work. From the article:

"I needed some special parts to do the project the way I want to do it," Johnson said. "Because the confines of the area I’ve got to work within the engine bay part of it are really restrictive because this thing was originally designed for a flathead Ford." Johnson estimates the car will make more than three horsepower per cubic inch.

"I’m re-engineering the whole car to make it right," Johnson said. "Maskin and I are going to work on the motor project and I’m going to make the car, well it’s obviously a car that’s very efficient aerodynamically, but mechanically it’s a total disaster, so I’ve got a lot of work to do."

Not trying to nit-pick, but this was the quote that threw me off: ""I’m re-engineering the whole car to make it right," Johnson said. "Maskin and I are going to work on the motor project and I’m going to make the car"

I didn't know if he was improving an existing design or using an existing car. After re-reading, I'm assuming the error is in the proofing of the article, at this point I would assume it should be "make changes to the car".

In any event, would love to see pics of the car!

it will be interesting to follow this. You've got to love a sport where you only go to the track once a year to try what you've been engineering for so long .... lot's of thinking and rethinking. With weight not being an issue (e.g. you'll literally run with LOTS of ballast), it seems like you'd start with a big engine and work through the body/setup/aerodynmics first and then try to set the record with the motor of choice. It may be that the salt acts a lot more like a dyno than 1320 does so you start with the killer motor. Definitely want to stop and watch one day, but for now I'll continue to spend those two weeks in Brainerd.

Last edited:
There were a group of Honda engineers who ran a streamliner at Bonneville, that had a Kei car engine. 3 cyl, DOHC, 4 valve/cyl, on alky & turbocharged. 660 CC & it went over 232 MPH, if I remember right. I was astounded at how fast that car ran! If you have a Kei car in Japan, it usually has around 65 HP and that's it. To run that fast with that tiny engine.....

I'm a little confused on this: "What really makes the project off the charts is he will try the feat with a naturally, aspirated 260-cubic inch engine built off of the LS platform. Yes, the same engine more commonly associated with 1955 Chevies in Modified Eliminator."

When I think of Modified Eliminator (a class long gone from NHRA for you young pups) I think of 10,000+ rpm small block Chevy stick-shift cars, typically small cubic inch or destrokers, but they were certainly not LS engines (not invented for another 10-15 years). Or am I missing something?

I'm sure in Warren's mind, A Chevy with a 3.750bore by 3.00 stoke is just a 265-irregardless of year of manufacture.

I'm a little confused on this: "What really makes the project off the charts is he will try the feat with a naturally, aspirated 260-cubic inch engine built off of the LS platform. Yes, the same engine more commonly associated with 1955 Chevies in Modified Eliminator."

When I think of Modified Eliminator (a class long gone from NHRA for you young pups) I think of 10,000+ rpm small block Chevy stick-shift cars, typically small cubic inch or destrokers, but they were certainly not LS engines (not invented for another 10-15 years). Or am I missing something?

I'm understanding your line of thinking here.. LS - and modified eliminator - don't have any connection ... ... and then to read other posts that refer to " space constraints for a FLATHEAD based power" ..

I'm going to follow other interests.. But, if Warren can get his LS flathead to run faster than a 1955 chevy , it'll be interesting to read about..

Something aint adding up in this whole story...

I believe he meant the car he’s using has an engine bay originally designed for a flathead motor. Maybe it’s a roadster of some type, which are real popular at Bonneville.

When I seen the thread title, I was hoping he was building a factory shoot out car and about to whip tail. But as long as he is still doing something he loves, I am happy for him.

When I seen the thread title, I was hoping he was building a factory shoot out car and about to whip tail.

I’m sure he could (referring back to his run against Scott Geoffrion after a great burndown) teach the “young punks” a thing or two.

What isn't adding up? He's starting with a vehicle that was built for a flathead. He's re-doing the car. The engine is a 260ci LS. Nothing funny going on. No tricks. No lies. No bs. It's like you guys are looking for something that isn't there. Trying to find discrepancies.

What isn't adding up? He's starting with a vehicle that was built for a flathead. He's re-doing the car. The engine is a 260ci LS. Nothing funny going on. No tricks. No lies. No bs. It's like you guys are looking for something that isn't there. Trying to find discrepancies.

That's exactly how I read it..........

Sean D

Not looking for discrepancies. It just seems that the author is misinformed as to what powerplants were used in '55 Chevy Modified Eliminator cars, since there was no such thing as an LS then. Perhaps he was only trying to make the comparison of using high-winding small cubic inch engines? The wording is misleading, that's all.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back