Windham's Ride (1 Viewer)

It seems most of you missed the point of my last post. Yes, KJ, GA, JL and many other top tier drivers have had on track incidents, but, and this is a big but, their incidents usually had to do with either a mechanical failure (parachutes, blown freeze plug, brake rotor) or a track problem (oil on the track, water seepage), not their inability to recognize when they were in danger. This guy was going no where on that run. For him to qualify, he would have had to make a career best run, picture perfect, no mistakes. At the 30 foot mark his run was history, why not clutch it, save the car and come back the next day? Correct me if I'm wrong, but due to his "driving", the car was not able to come back the next day.
Now, I don't know this guy, and for all I know he may be the next "great" driver, but I suggest he line up several test sessions so he can get some quality seat time, before he ventures back to a national event. Learning when you are in over your head, is best learned in a test session, not a national event.
As far as these cars being hard to drive, ask any competitive P/S driver, a properly setup car is very comfortable to drive.....a incorrectly setup car is more than a handfull. The driver and the car have to work together.

Pat

Where were you a couple of years ago demanding Bruce Allen have his license yanked for not getting off it when it got loose?

(I am in NO WAY saying Bruce is a bad driver... he is far from that, one of the greats as a matter of fact)

Where were you a couple of years ago demanding Bruce Allen have his license yanked for not getting off it when it got loose?

(I am in NO WAY saying Bruce is a bad driver... he is far from that, one of the greats as a matter of fact)

That's just stupid! Bruce got loose in the middle of a run and the car reacted in an unpredictable manor. At no point in Bruce's run was he in over his head. The car made an abrupt move that nobody could have anticipated and Bruce was just along for the ride. Had Bruce been able to, I'm sure he would have clutched it and ended the run.
Windham, on the other hand, was in trouble right from the start of the run. He missed the burnout completely and then backed up, back into the water, before pulling forward to stage the car. Actually, Rick Stewart should have stopped the run right there, because staging a car with water on the tires is a recipe for disaster. Would you advocate someone staging their car with water on their tires, and if so, would you like to be in the opposite lane? Windham clearly demonstrated his inability to make an informed decision by staying with the run. Like I said, if this guy wants to go out and play Joey Chitwood, fine, just don't involve anyone else in his adventure. Common sense dictates that you abort the run, if you get into trouble early! What part of that is so hard to understand? I would think that in light of recent events, everyone would be in support of safety first.

Pat

I see you've mentioned you've driven a PS car before. I value your viewpoint, but are you aware of Pat's background? I'd hazard a guess he's watched thousands of PS passes from the starting line.

Look, guys, unlike a lot of folks on here, I have no agenda for getting into a giant pissing contest with anyone. I'm not aware of Pat's capacity, and I don't have an issue with him. Maybe he has watched thousands of passes from a close perspective, and if he has, then I certainly respect that.

I, however, am not a complete dumba$$ either. I've been driving for 20+ years in anything from bracket doorslammers and dragsters to 6-second blown alcohol altereds, and yes, I do have a Pro Stock license. Does that give my opinions more weight than anyone else on here? Abosolutely not. In fact, there are plenty of people that are active on here with as much, or more experience than me (and maybe Pat is one of them). I just think, and still do, that pulling his license after one incident is extreme. Now, if he goes out and has a similar or worse incident within a very short amount of time, then I guess I'll be eating some crowe.............but I'll take that chance.

Pat and Dan..............no hard feelings here, brother. Just a guy sharing an opinion. I respect yours, just don't agree with it, and that's just how it goes sometimes.

Sean D

Correct me if I’m mistaken but I believe Mr. Windham admitted to his ‘rookie mistake’ during the qualifying show coverage. I think it should have been left at that.

As a side note, at least when WJ and some of the other pro’s start to retire they won’t have to look very far for replacements as it seems there is an abundance of professional and highly experienced pro-stock drivers on this board.:rolleyes:

Correct me if I’m mistaken but I believe Mr. Windham admitted to his ‘rookie mistake’ during the qualifying show coverage. I think it should have been left at that.

board.:rolleyes:
Now there's finally some common sense, thanks Jeremy.

What more can the guy do. It seems he learned is lesson.

You guys need to back-off.

I think someone has an axe to grind!

Do you think I have an axe to grind? If you do, you are dead wrong. I don't even know this guy, but if I did I'd say the same thing to him that I have posted on this thread. Look, I don't dislike the guy, he just needs to understand that what he did was wrong and very dangerous. If you guys that claim to be racers can honestly say that you don't mind having someone pull the same stunt, as he did, in the lane next to you, than you're either more couragous than me or just plain stupid.
I stand by what I said. If you don't like it, than I guess we will just have to agree to disagree!

Pat

Do you think I have an axe to grind? If you do, you are dead wrong. I don't even know this guy, but if I did I'd say the same thing to him that I have posted on this thread. Look, I don't dislike the guy, he just needs to understand that what he did was wrong and very dangerous. If you guys that claim to be racers can honestly say that you don't mind having someone pull the same stunt, as he did, in the lane next to you, than you're either more couragous than me or just plain stupid.
I stand by what I said. If you don't like it, than I guess we will just have to agree to disagree!

Pat
What do you want the guy to do, Pat? Give blood? Community Service?

What more can he do above what he's already done? He realized he made a 'rookie' mistake and has learned from it. The constant barrage isn't necessary..when the perpetrator has already acknowledged his error.

Pat

HE ADMITTED HIS MISTAKE!

What more do you want?

If mistakes continue to be made, I agree, yank his license, until then, let's all see how he goes and save judgement for later, just like the NHRA would do with any other driver..

He made one mistake, admitted it, give him a break.

Since when is a discussion a "constant barrage"? And when did I ever demand that this guy do anything? The only thing I said he should do is plan some test sessions and get some seat time.
I simply stated my opinion.... you did not like my opinion, so tough, get over it. I'm not going to change your mind and you, certainly, are not going to change mine, so as I said, we will just have to agree to disagree! Do you think that you can handle that?
If you want the last word, go for it.

Pat

Since when is a discussion a "constant barrage"? And when did I ever demand that this guy do anything? The only thing I said he should do is plan some test sessions and get some seat time.
I simply stated my opinion.... you did not like my opinion, so tough, get over it. I'm not going to change your mind and you, certainly, are not going to change mine, so as I said, we will just have to agree to disagree! Do you think that you can handle that?

Pat

Pat,
I'm sorry but I just have to ask. You seem to be pretty level headed in "debates". Is it because you had a lot of practice when you worked in Sugar Hill, GA?? You don't have to answer, just blink once for yes, and two for no. ;) :D

Pat,
I'm sorry but I just have to ask. You seem to be pretty level headed in "debates". Is it because you had a lot of practice when you worked in Sugar Hill, GA?? You don't have to answer, just blink once for yes, and two for no. ;) :D

I think somebody is on to something...;)

Of course I am speaking for myself...

Pat
OK, Pat..

It's obvious your definition of discussion is the same as my definition of a fairly constant barrage. Now I'm not trying get the last word..but this was posted after he accepted his mistake and apologized for it.

NHRA needs to pull this guy's license before he hurts himself, or someone else.

Now, I don't know this guy, and for all I know he may be the next "great" driver, but I suggest he line up several test sessions so he can get some quality seat time, before he ventures back to a national event. Learning when you are in over your head, is best learned in a test session, not a national event.

Windham clearly demonstrated his inability to make an informed decision by staying with the run. Like I said, if this guy wants to go out and play Joey Chitwood, fine, just don't involve anyone else in his adventure.

If you guys that claim to be racers can honestly say that you don't mind having someone pull the same stunt, as he did, in the lane next to you, than you're either more couragous than me or just plain stupid.

As the ax wheel turns.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back