Wild Horse Pass to be Redeveloped. Looks like the end is here. (1 Viewer)

Saw this on their facebook page.

From all of us at the Wild Horse Pass Motorsports Park, we are fully aware of the conceptual map that was released as part of a commercial redevelopment plan here at Wild Horse Pass. That being said, this design is exactly what it is, conceptual, and does not change the fact that we are continuing to push through the challenges of COVID-19 to facilitate hosting as many motorsports events as possible in 2021, as well as a push to come back even stronger in 2022. We have been a staple in the Arizona Motorsports community for nearly 40 years and don't plan on changing that heritage anytime soon!

That statement is pure BS. No one develops plans for a property they do not own unless they have a clear expression of interest from the current owner. This is just the track owner trying to maintain as much revenue as possible until the deal is done.

That statement is pure BS. No one develops plans for a property they do not own unless they have a clear expression of interest from the current owner. This is just the track owner trying to maintain as much revenue as possible until the deal is done.
Where there is smoke, there is fire. The “we don’t plan to do anything at all to the track“ doesn’t hold water when the plans show otherwise. There is a possibility that I doesn’t happen or it could take 5-10 years, but if they have their way, it will happen.

English Town, Atlanta and now Wild Horst Pass are gone and not sure where we go from here.

The handwriting is on the wall drag racing is slowing loosing more and more drag strips every year.
Between the coronavirus and peoples interests changing I really don't see things changing.

I hate to see this happening to drag racing. Jim Hill

I have no inside information.

I read what's been posted like everyone else. A proposal is that, it may be acted upon or not. There may be ten more proposals before one is acted upon. Here's just one example.

Just think about how many new stadiums have been proposed over the years, and how many have actually been built. Now think about how many times you heard that a Racetrack (or anything else) was closing only to find out that it didn't happen, at least not immediately.

That being said, the track has been there 37 years, and nothing last forever.

I personally am not ready to declare that the sky is falling.

As always, Just My Opinion.

Alan

Last edited:
The water track there is what makes it unique. Maybe keep the lake, but modify it for recreational use? A beach? Stocked Fishing? Maybe the race boats could still meet there a few times a year then? But for our drag strip - I say rebuild it by PIR; or maybe farther south around Maricopa. I’ll make some calls and get my guys on it. LOL

English Town, Atlanta and now Wild Horst Pass are gone and not sure where we go from here.

The handwriting is on the wall drag racing is slowing loosing more and more drag strips every year.
Between the coronavirus and peoples interests changing I really don't see things changing.

Dont forget maple grove is still for sale

Dont forget maple grove is still for sale
A lot of people think Maple Grove wants out because of the neighbors being so close to the track. If you have ever been there, The neighbors rent out their yards for parking and camping for the weekend. A win, win. Not just Maple Grove making money but, Then neighbors too.

Add Richmond to the list

A lot of people think Maple Grove wants out because of the neighbors being so close to the track. If you have ever been there, The neighbors rent out their yards for parking and camping for the weekend. A win, win. Not just Maple Grove making money but, Then neighbors too.

The other thing about Maple Grove is that over the years, the track has consistently communicated with neighbors, did nothing to stop neighbors from making money, invited neighbors to the track with free tickets. I don't know if it is still that way, but until recently the track's "curfew" was not a legal curfew but an agreement with neighbors on what was reasonable for all.

Where there is smoke, there is fire. The “we don’t plan to do anything at all to the track“ doesn’t hold water when the plans show otherwise. There is a possibility that I doesn’t happen or it could take 5-10 years, but if they have their way, it will happen.

Correct. However, plans sometimes fall through. They can't get financing. There are other problems that stop the project from starting. The operators make statements like that now to protect themselves if the plans do not go through.

Which Richmond track? Sandston or Dinwiddie?
Right now drag racing seems so segmented to me between street drag racing and other associations like the Southern Gasser's and the IHRA and the NHRA it seems like each group is just doing their own thing.
The day's of the drag racing revolving around the NHRA are over for now at least.

I read about the groups starting up a new series for Pro Stock and I think Pro Mod where the entering fee is something like $900.00 dollars and the winner takes home either $25,000 or $50,000 dollars per event.

The Street Nationals event in Orlando was a good example of what happening.
Drag racing appears to be going in many new directions and only time will tell what happens next.

It should be an interesting year!
Just my opinion.

Jim Hill

The neighbours are great,i park there all the time at keystones

Playing devil's advocate here: How many threads have talked about the need to reduce the number of national events every year? Maybe this is NHRA realizing the need to pare back the number of events and letting the less lucrative events go by the wayside. Fewer events mean there is the opportunity to scale back their work force and save a little money along the way.
I'm just trying to not be all doom and gloom about the future of pro drag racing.
A little bit of pain now might work out for the best in the long run.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back