Why? (1 Viewer)

This is too funny! This post has recieved more replies than the original post the admins deleted...If they would have left it alone it would have just went away...lol :)

Why didn't you ask Mike Minick why he got involved with something that had nothing to do with him? :D I must've missed the "Dont' get involved in threads that don't have anything to do with you" rule.

Maybe other members want to understand the details for their own future benefit.

Because Mike has special privileges :D Just Kidding

Happy Holidays Ron!
fest26.gif

What's the source for that? I can copy/paste the relevant section of the DMCA (Digital Millenium Copyright Act) that deals with reposting and copyright again if you'd like. Since that's what applies to reposting web content in other places that's what's relevant. Like I've said a few times already; if it can be done on numerous blogs, forums and news websites, many owned or staffed by lawyers (some copyright lawyers), and they all know that it's perfectly legal to repost articles for comment then why is it different just on Nitromater.com? That doesn't make any sense at all.
Kill all lawyers! Theft of intellectual property is still theft, no matter how some mouthpiece might try to twist the usage to be "for comment". That isn't a free ticket to copy and paste anything you want anywhere you want. Just because it happens in other places doesn't mean it is either right, legal or ethical. Link to the original piece to give due credit to those that do the work and those who pay those who do the work. ...or you could provide a pro bono army of attorneys ready to defend every site host when they allow intellectual property theft to be freely posted on their sites. That's the ticket Brent! You retain an attorney for this site, and guarantee (with a suitable bond) that Jerod and Shannon will not be held liable for anything posted on this site.

The www isn't anarchy, and it should never be.

Kill all lawyers! Theft of intellectual property is still theft, no matter how some mouthpiece might try to twist the usage to be "for comment". That isn't a free ticket to copy and paste anything you want anywhere you want. Just because it happens in other places doesn't mean it is either right, legal or ethical. Link to the original piece to give due credit to those that do the work and those who pay those who do the work. ...or you could provide a pro bono army of attorneys ready to defend every site host when they allow intellectual property theft to be freely posted on their sites. That's the ticket Brent! You retain an attorney for this site, and guarantee (with a suitable bond) that Jerod and Shannon will not be held liable for anything posted on this site.

The www isn't anarchy, and it should never be.
Oh Great Bob!
Just when I was enjoying the rhetoric flying everywhere you have to stomp right in here and use the voice of reason to ruin everything? Thanks a lot!

p.s. There were no individual moderators mentioned, or insinuated in any wrong-doing that were intended harm in any way from the aforementioned post. Void where prohibited-I do quite often.

Is my interpretation of all this correct in that maybe all Eric would need to do is add an editorial section to his website? :D Then he could post links to his own articles.

The contradictions just make an eyebrow raise occasionally. If this is a thread about the rules of this site then, I would think it would concern any member who cared to ask or post about it.

Great job of explaining everything Shannon. Merry Christmas and whatever else any of you may celebrate. :)

So what your saying is, if I add the interview section and DVD review section I should be good to go to post links here? That is as long as I dont say I am selling DVD's?...lol

So what your saying is, if I add the interview section and DVD review section I should be good to go to post links here? That is as long as I dont say I am selling DVD's?...lol

Eric,

You can interview me... :D

Also, how are you coming with my DVDs?

Are they about ready for me to buy?

:D

EDB

That's what I'm thinking because, naturally, you're not linking to the site TOO sell stuff. Right? It just happens to be there! (wink, wink, nod, nod) :D

I'm sure that could be done in an overly obvious manner. "It's raining at the Bristol track in the off season today" complete with a photo and a page/site that's otherwise 99% commercial. :)

Speaking of rules and commercials. I'm seeing billboards now with an asterix (cuz I don't know how to spell that plural) and legal disclaimers or conditions that are SO FREAKING SMALL that no human being without mechanical assistance of some sort could EVER read it! You'd be a traffic hazard if you tried! If THAT'S legal, then I would think that what we're talking about above might slide by until someone determined you were going overboard.

LOL, an " ONLY $19.95* " price that's twenty foot high, along with probably " * if you buy 10,000 at 2 AM on Wednesday last week " in six inch letters across the bottom. :)

Last edited:
Eric,

You can interview me... :D

Also, how are you coming with my DVDs?

Are they about ready for me to buy?

:D

EDB

Ha! He'll interview you as long as you promise to say that in the interview! :D

Hey, the way ad agencies insult peoples' intelligence, I'd think you might as well. You see these freaking commercials in which people just absolutely rave about products or services in ways that would have them looking 1000% obnoxious in real life. Not getting much TV is not always a disadvantage when you're a truck driver! :D

There's a major problem with your argument; it's not intellectual property theft because the DMCA (Digital Millenium Copyright Act) says it's not! Since the DMCA is what regulates this type of thing then that's what applies. I don't know what I have to do to make it any more comprehensible to you and others. The DMCA says it's perfectly legal so if you have a problem with it then lobby to get the DMCA changed. Your "feelings" don't dictate how things work, the law does. The DMCA says it's perfectly legal to copy/paste, repost, reprint, etc. How can it be theft when the law clearly says it is not?

Last edited:
There's a major problem with your argument; it's not intellectual property theft because the DMCA (Digital Millenium Copyright Act) says it's not! Since the DMCA is what regulates this type of thing then that's what applies. I don't know what I have to do to make it any more comprehensible to you and others. The DMCA says it's perfectly legal so if you have a problem with it then lobby to get the DMCA changed. Your "feelings" don't dictate how things work, the law does. The DMCA says it's perfectly legal to copy/paste, repost, reprint, etc. How can it be theft when the law clearly says it is not?

Brent I would love to see this DMCA link that you are getting all this incorrect info.

Thanks,
Shannon

Boy. We've seen this topic debated how many times?

I remember my hometown library refusing to let people make photocopies from books, saying it was a copyright violation. I always thought that was only true if you were going to use it commercially?

Brent I would love to see this DMCA link that you are getting all this incorrect info.

Thanks,
Shannon
It's not incorrect, it's law:
Under § 107 of the Copyright Act, "the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies ...for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting ... is not an infringement of copyright." ...use of still images captured from the original broadcast is fair use because it (1) is transformative, (2) depicts a work that has already been published, and voluntarily, by the copyright holder, (3) is a very small fraction of the complete copyrighted work, and (4) does not lessen the market value of the original work.
Read this thread, I've already argued it before:
http://www.nitromater.com/nhra/11373-driver-rider-let-go-during-qualifying.html
Be sure to read the links I posted in that thread also.

Like I said before, political blogs quote articles and copy/paste sections of articles all the time. Power Line is one of the best in the country and all three of the contributors are attorney. They're not going to risk lawsuits or any other punishment by breaking the law and doing something they're not allowed to do. Here's their qualifications:
John H. Hinderaker is a lawyer with a nationwide litigation practice. For fifteen years Hinderaker has written with his former law partner Scott Johnson on public policy issues including income inequality, income taxes, campaign finance reform, affirmative action, welfare reform, and race in the criminal justice system. Both Hinderaker and Johnson are fellows of the Claremont Institute. Their articles have appeared in National Review, The American Enterprise, American Experiment Quarterly, and newspapers from Florida to California. The Claremont Institute has archived many of their articles here.

Mr. Hinderaker lives with his family in Apple Valley, Minnesota. He is a graduate of Dartmouth College and Harvard Law School. He is listed in The Best Lawyers In America and was recognized as Minnesota's Super Lawyer of the Year for 2005.

Scott W. Johnson is a Minneapolis attorney. For more than fifteen years Johnson has written with his former law partner John H. Hinderaker on public policy issues including income inequality, income taxes, campaign finance reform, affirmative action, welfare reform, and race in the criminal justice system. Both Hinderaker and Johnson are fellows of the Claremont Institute. Their articles have appeared in National Review, the Weekly Standard, the New York Times, and newspapers from Florida to California. The Claremont Institute has archived many of their articles here.

Johnson lives with his family in St. Paul, Minnesota. He is a graduate of Dartmouth College and the University of Minnesota Law School.

Paul Mirengoff is an attorney in Washington, D.C. He is a 1971 graduate of Dartmouth College and a 1974 graduate of Stanford Law School. He has two daughters and lives with his family in Bethesda, Maryland.

Paul supports Everton FC of the English Premier Soccer League, as well as the Washington Redskins, the Washington Wizards, and the University of Maryland basketball team.
Do you really think these guys are going to be stupid and risk lawsuits or their licenses by not complying with copyright law and the DMCA? I think we know the obvious answer to that question. And that's just one blog. There's thousands of blogs run by highly qualified people with extensive knowledge of law and copyright and they quote articles all the time too. Are they all wrong?

Boy. We've seen this topic debated how many times?

I remember my hometown library refusing to let people make photocopies from books, saying it was a copyright violation. I always thought that was only true if you were going to use it commercially?
Exactly! There's a world of difference between:
A) copying/pasting an article at a web forum or blog to discuss or comment
B) stealing something to pass off as your own or use for profit

Since B doesn't apply here there should be no argument. We're not ripping off articles to pass off as our own or for profit, we're simply commenting and discussing which is perfectly legal under copyright law and the DMCA.

Exactly! There's a world of difference between:
A) copying/pasting an article at a web forum or blog to discuss or comment
B) stealing something to pass off as your own or use for profit

Since B doesn't apply here there should be no argument. We're not ripping off articles to pass off as our own or for profit, we're simply commenting and discussing which is perfectly legal under copyright law and the DMCA.

...enough of the lawyer stuff... check out my soon-to-be interview at:

1800-Entertainment

EDB

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back