Why? Makes sense to me (1 Viewer)

Mike

Nitro Member
Does anyone know why NHRA doesn't sanction the TF motorcycle class?

I remember about 4-6 of them run exhibitions at Indy a decade ago. The crowd loved them, especially on Friday night with the flames shooting up/out.
I could be wrong, but didn't AMA/ProStar cease operations this year?

I know there aren't a lot of them, but that could be partially due to lack of places to run. If there was a group (NHRA) that would run them, within a year they should easily be able to have an 8 bike field.

A visit to European and Australian websites shows the TF bikes seem to be doing well there. Why not here? Besides, NHRA could use someone like Larry "Spiderman" McBride.

Just one fan's opinion.

AMA/Prostar ended early last year. There was an event put on at Valdosta towards the end of last year and also an event earlier this year - The Manufacturers Cup.

It would be great to see the likes of Kory Hogan, Larry Mcbride, Chris Hand, Greg Pollard etc racing in the NHRA, but I can't see the suits ever allowing that to happen, especially when you have the Alwine's tuning Hogan over 255 mph...

Any new pro class will have to have a series sponsor, ie the "Get Screened America" Pro Mod Series, to be considered. NHRA gets paid to highlight the class.

They would make Super Comp a professional class if a certain company stepped up to the plate with enough money, like the "Microsoft Windows Super Comp Pro Series."

Things missing:

Big Bud Shoot-out.
Winston Top Qualifier Bonus.
Etc.

Glad Jegs and Lucas are still around for "little guy."

Last edited:
I know there aren't a lot of them, but that could be partially due to lack of places to run. If there was a group (NHRA) that would run them, within a year they should easily be able to have an 8 bike field.

A visit to European and Australian websites shows the TF bikes seem to be doing well there. Why not here? Besides, NHRA could use someone like Larry "Spiderman" McBride.
Yes, if the Europeans and Aussies don't show up it could be a while until you see consistent 8-bike ladders in Top Fuel Bike even in the US. A venue like the NHRA Full Throttle Drag Racing Series would very likely make a big difference.
_______

On "pro classes": Could be that I´m nitpicking on the wording here but AFAIK, Pro Mod is not regarded as an NHRA Professional class by Glendora.

On nitrobikes but another tack, Michael V., I'll be meeting Mark Ashelford tomorrow.

On NHRA bike racing: A cool thing happened at work Tuesday, Gary Stoffer came by for a surprise visit on his way to this weekends European Championship round at Tierp Arena.

Regards
PiPPi
http://HarleyDrags.com

Last edited:
Things were iffy for a while after Ernie Rife's unfortunate incident at Indy. It was game, set and match after Elmers. Addittionally, at the time, Terry Vance thought the bikes were both, too dangerous, and too fast, and wasn't afraid to use his influence against.

On nitrobikes but another tack, Michael V., I'll be meeting Mark Ashelford tomorrow.
http://HarleyDrags.com

Excellent, be sure to say hi to Ross also. Just say Mike from Perth says hi and wishes them well. I look forward to hearing your commentary if there is any for the race this weekend? I think we will see some quick times from the bikes and on a wild tip, I think Dahl may be the next fuel bike in the 5's... Time will tell. :)

Maybe because if they did, nobody (or even FEWER) people would watch PSB... Hard to keep them down on the farm after you've seen/heard/felt a blown nitro V-Twin!

Things missing:

Big Bud Shoot-out.
Winston Top Qualifier Bonus.
Etc.

And that's a damn shame, nobody on here can disagree with the fact that the NHRA should step up and fund one of these programs, they could more than afford too. Just to restore the top qualifier to all 4 professional classes at 3,000 a race for 22 events would be 264,000! restore a shootout in tf and fc and psb would be 531,000. All together 795,000 dollars. Nhra could cut back on the crazy fat salaries and fund programs that support the racer and fans enjoy.

Aren't these one and the same? I don't know much about V-Twins.

Correct, they are the same. Nitro Harley/Top Fuel Harley, same deal, just calling them different names. I'd rather the NHRA called up Mcbride and Hogan to put on a match race exhibition. Now that would be cool. No offense to the Harley fans, but 4 cylinder 5 second 250 mph fuel bikes are more exciting to watch, not to mention sound better ;)

They would have to do a match race deal as they don't pay enough money for those guys to run all over the country. Also, NHRA runs on some tracks that TF bikes don't have adequate stopping distance; Pomona, Maple Grove, Norwalk, etc.
exhibition
When they were run as exhibition at NHRA events, it was a financial strain on the guys to do it.

They do put on a great show. Hogan/Dryden/Alwine Top Fuel motorcycle stuns everyone/Hogan sets record to 255mph! | Dragbike Live.com- News In The World of Motorcycle Drag Racing!

Correct, they are the same. Nitro Harley/Top Fuel Harley, same deal, just calling them different names. I'd rather the NHRA called up Mcbride and Hogan to put on a match race exhibition. Now that would be cool. No offense to the Harley fans, but 4 cylinder 5 second 250 mph fuel bikes are more exciting to watch, not to mention sound better ;)

Wow I wouldn't think a 5 second 250mph bike would be in the same class as a 6 second 220mph bike , with no blower ?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back