Whit Bazemore Podcast: Oil Down Points Penalty Too Severe (1 Viewer)

Too severe?? Maybe.

Same for everybody? Yup.

I like Terry, and I was pulling for him to make it, but truth be told, he blew up a lot of $&^T this year. I would not point the finger at Indy round 1, there are several other runs in the season to look back on also.

I wonder if Whit would have the same attitude had he sat in the stands at Vegas 2 last year? I bet Not!!!

Too severe?? Maybe.

Same for everybody? Yup.

I like Terry, and I was pulling for him to make it, but truth be told, he blew up a lot of $&^T this year. I would not point the finger at Indy round 1, there are several other runs in the season to look back on also.

Amen, brother. I was wondering how long it was going to take before the complaining started.

Sean D

I know motorsports has some unique differences from other sports, but there isn't any other sport where you get penalized points in your standings because something unintended happened while you were competing.

Punch another player in the face, push a ref, sure, suspend the player or penalize him points.

But this case is pretty different, a racer was competing as hard as he could and popped a motor in the process.

I think the oildown penalty should be economic only, not a points hit. Make it hurt in the pocketbook but don't take points away.

They basically took points down off the scoreboard after a racer had already earned them, I think that's too severe.

I think at a minimum, they should at least change any points penalty so it comes on the next run, for example in this case, make the next round win only worth 10 points. Don't take points down that are already "on the board".

NASCAR, and most other motorsports, take points away points all the time, sometimes even for off track incidents...

and with Whit, I wonder if he would have had an issue if it was someone on the Force team that lost the points and missed the countdown?...not saying that is the case, but.......

This non for profit sanctioning body cannot afford oil dry, nor can it afford to pay for someone to pick up main capps, these teams must pay for this ! And they will also punish us viewers and make us listen to PP while they clean it up ! ;)

Screw the live T.V. thing I'll take it tellecast { whatever you call a regular show} anyday , make for better show

NASCAR, and most other motorsports, take points away points all the time, sometimes even for off track incidents...

True, but I've never seen them take points away for hitting the wall or blowing an engine or any other similar mechanical failure or unintended mistake, even though like in this case these problems can take a long time to clean up.

Anyway, NHRA can just fill the dead space from the cleanup time by having a bikini contest with the backup girls.

Last edited:
I'm willing to bet that "IF" Oildowns suddenly became a problem in NASCAR causing 30+ Minute delays, you can bet Fines would go into effect quicker than a 300 MPH pass!

True, but I've never seen them take points away for hitting the wall or blowing an engine or any other similar mechanical failure or unintended mistake,

I suppose that depends on which side of the mistake you're on ;)

but I seem to recall earlier this year an F1 team being penalized for having a wheel fall off leaving pit road <shrug>...don't rememebr if they lost points or not

Last edited:
You've never seen them call back a touchdown for a holding call? Or disallow a basket for charging?

If the foul is commited during the play, you don't get the result of the play.

Alan

Money only hurts the smaller teams
Point deductions effect every team equally
If you blow your junk up regularly, like some of them do, the points deducted should increased with each cleanup.

The only "interesting" aspect is, how it effects nearly everyone at the racetrack. The ODP certainly gets everyone's attention.... big guy and small guy and fan. Even the guy selling Turkey Legs is involved. I bet they can tell you how many legs they'll sell on a Saturday when an 600 foot track of oil gets dumped! :D It gets even more interesting as you get into the countdown, not to mention that often times the track surface is better after they run the cleanup rigamaroll. It also highlights the TEAM effort with running these cars, because is most cases, the driver doesn't cause the oil down.

You've never seen them call back a touchdown for a holding call? Or disallow a basket for charging?

If the foul is commited during the play, you don't get the result of the play.

Alan

Alan, I see your point but this is a little different. With a holding or charging call the player did something that gave him an actual direct advantage during the competitive action.

But they don't take a play away for something unintended, like a players shoe or helmet coming off (unless the helmet was intentionally removed).

But I'll agree that the ramifications of an oil down are worse than re-tying a shoe.

Even though, I still favor the point penalty coming on the next round of competition.

If Tony Shumacher had oiled the track on the round where he had to both win the finals and set the track record to win the championship, would we really have wanted to see that championship win reversed because "hold everything, we have a flag on the play"?

.......If Tony Shumacher had oiled the track on the round where he had to both win the finals and set the track record to win the championship, would we really have wanted to see that championship win reversed because "hold everything, we have a flag on the play"?

that would be an extreme case but yes, nhra is setting themselves up
for a default winner and when and if it happens the reporting of that final
will be very awkward...... mite as well put stewart in blk/white stripe shirt
and give him a whistle..... on second thought, do not give him a whistle.

Money only hurts the smaller teams
Point deductions effect every team equally
If you blow your junk up regularly, like some of them do, the points deducted should increased with each cleanup.

Except for the guys that only make 1, 2, or a few races a year. What difference does it make if they take points away from them? They are not going to be in the top 10 any way. You have to have both. And usually, it is the lower budget guys blowing their stuff up more so than the high budget guys (Terry Haddock). If you just take pts away from them, what is the deterrent? If you don't oil the track one time earlier in the year, then you don't have to worry about it when it matters. Yea, it sux, but those are the RULES and they are the same for everyone.

I was standing on the starting line in Pomona next to Doug when Tony made "The Run" and I for one would have been just fine with them throwing out the run if he oiled the track...but he didn't so it doesn't matter. You could play the "what if" game all day...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back