When Nitro attacks???? (1 Viewer)

I remember the old days when you could stand right next to the cars when they fired them up....Didn't Gene Snow get a broken leg from a start up explosion? My memory is pretty foggy but I seem to remember reading about that somewhere.

About 17-18 year ago. I was at NY international dragway outside Rochester NY. IHRA race. I don't recall who it was. We were in back of Scotty Killer red trailer right where they fired the TF cars on the line. They tried to start the Engine it didn't fire. they tried again and POW BANG BOOM..

The whole left side of the Engine exploded. The block turned to powder. 3 crew guy were full of shrapnel 2 got broken ear drums and the Head came off the engine in like 4 pieces. The valve cover and valve train ended up raining down about 100 feet in back of the car, all over the pits. We were lucky it was not on our side of the car.. All in all I think 5 people were hurt.

Nitro = Fireworks when handled wrong.. But it sure makes for fun stuff in RC trucks.
That was Rod Fu
About 17-18 year ago. I was at NY international dragway outside Rochester NY. IHRA race. I don't recall who it was. We were in back of Scotty Killer red trailer right where they fired the TF cars on the line. They tried to start the Engine it didn't fire. they tried again and POW BANG BOOM..

The whole left side of the Engine exploded. The block turned to powder. 3 crew guy were full of shrapnel 2 got broken ear drums and the Head came off the engine in like 4 pieces. The valve cover and valve train ended up raining down about 100 feet in back of the car, all over the pits. We were lucky it was not on our side of the car.. All in all I think 5 people were hurt.

Nitro = Fireworks when handled wrong.. But it sure makes for fun stuff in RC trucks.

That was the Mitchell car driven by Rod Fuller and tuned by Clayton Harris. The guy that drove their transporter copped the most of it as he was between the minivan and the dragster.

I remember the old days when you could stand right next to the cars when they fired them up....Didn't Gene Snow get a broken leg from a start up explosion? My memory is pretty foggy but I seem to remember reading about that somewhere.

Yep, my first nitro experience was at an IHRA race at Gateway International with Michael Brotherton driving a TF car my company (Williams Companies, WilTel) sponsored. I was probably 4 or 5' from the car when they warmed it and whacked the throttle!

I remember the Harata accident at the Div 3 race in Cincinnati. We were in the S/C lanes waiting for the Saturday morning time run and then you just heard this massive boom.

Back around 1970 or 71, I was 13 or 14 years old. I would “drive” my dad’s funnycar while being towed to the starting line and back from the finish line. I also would sit in the seat during warm ups. My job was simple. When they had everything ready and turning over, dad would give me the signal and I would flip the mag switch to fire the motor. I would man the brake handle and be ready with the fuel shut off lever. We were in Saint Louis at some AHRA race and had a new “Cotton”?? mag on the car. Unknown to us, they had an intermittent problem of some kind that caused misfiring issues. When we warmed the car up in the pits, my dad was on one side of the motor, his partner Keith Williams was on the other and I think there was someone steadying the body support rails. When it came time to flip the mag switch, BOOM!! A huge explosion and everyone vanished. Then the body flopped down. All I could think was I wish I could unflip that switch. Scared and thinking it had to be my fault since it happened when I flipped the switch, I just sat quietly in the seat. After a while, they had checked everyone out and luckily there were no serious injuries, my dad remembered me in the car. As they lifted the body up and I scrambled out, some of the guys from several pits down showed up and started complaining about all the “junk” we were throwing into their pits!! It had lifted the head off the car and sent debris a good distance. Not too long ago, someone sent me a picture from that race. Not a great picture but it sure brought back the memories.

Another from this past weekend. Supposedly lifted the head right off.

11889994_10205816333721354_5689559566370417603_o.jpg

I remember the Harata accident at the Div 3 race in Cincinnati. We were in the S/C lanes waiting for the Saturday morning time run and then you just heard this massive boom.

We were parked right next to the Hirata's that day. Our car owner George Etterman was taken to the hospital earlier and my brother and I were servicing the car. When that thing blew up a pushrod speared Tim in the back and something went thru the side of our trailer. The valve cover was found two trailers behind ours. Thank GOD Kenny and all involved recovered totally from that day.

We had a 392 hydraulic at the spring nationals at the (new or almost new) Dallas international raceway due to some mag problems. We were on the push road and it split the block into 4 pieces, broke the crank and cam in many pieces, sent pistons flying over 60 feet and spread the frame rails on our FE dragster not to mention what happened to the heads and blower manifold. About all that was useable was the injector and fuel pump. Unfortunatly a very beatiful girl with Prentis Cunnngham from Lubock Tx. was hit by a piston in the forehead and knocked out. She was standing behind the fence along the push road along with many others. Fortunatly she was the only person injured and her injuries turned out to not be serious. That was the last fuel race we competed in.

We were parked right next to the Hirata's that day. Our car owner George Etterman was taken to the hospital earlier and my brother and I were servicing the car. When that thing blew up a pushrod speared Tim in the back and something went thru the side of our trailer. The valve cover was found two trailers behind ours. Thank GOD Kenny and all involved recovered totally from that day.

DAMMMMNN....that is insane!

Don't know. It was posted on FB at the time it happened with the guys name. A very good friend of mine had the rear cylinder come up and hit him in the chest in the burnout. Threw him right off the bike. He eventually passed away from his injuries.

Don't know. It was posted on FB at the time it happened with the guys name. A very good friend of mine had the rear cylinder come up and hit him in the chest in the burnout. Threw him right off the bike. He eventually passed away from his injuries.

I bet those Nitro Harley's with those Long stroke High compression they run are a Time Bomb!

This is an entertaining and informative thread!

I do have a question: In several posts here, there are references to "backing the car/motor down". What exactly does that mean? What does the process involve, and how does it prevent compression-firing on Nitro motors?

This is an entertaining and informative thread!

I do have a question: In several posts here, there are references to "backing the car/motor down". What exactly does that mean? What does the process involve, and how does it prevent compression-firing on Nitro motors?

Backing the engine means you turn the motor over the opposite direction that it would run. This clears the cylinders of any nitro that might have leaked into it, so when you turn the motor over with the starter, the nitro doesn't compression fire.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back