Wilmes Plans, Attacks and Cashes In (1 Viewer)

[coverattach=1]Kirk Wilmes of Altus, Oklahoma may be young but sure drove like a seasoned veteran at the 4th Annual SCSN at “The Strip” at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. Wilmes opened qualifying with a 6.21 @ 231 mph only to better it through four rounds of qualifying with a 6.16 @ 232 mph. That was good enough for the #2 spot on the 32 car ladder.

The 24 year old slashed through the Pro Street field by killing them with consistency. The team’s only hiccup was in the first round where a dropped valve almost cost them the race. Luckily it decided to give away far enough into the run to propel the car to a win, although it was coasting from 4.06 seconds to the finishline. Subsequent runs of 6.19 and 6.24 carried the team through to the semi finals where the event was cut to a 1/8 mile race as the air temperature flirted with the high 40 degree mark. The KW Motorsports team continued to march to the win with back to back 4.09 runs both at over 180 mph. An overjoyed Wilmes stated, “I don’t even know where to start…..this is so awesome!!! I have to thank my parents Jeff and Kim Wilmes. Without their support, I couldn’t have this opportunity. My crew guys and great friends, Adam Braddock and Copus Lester, Louis Boyd for our engine program, Jim Salemi (G-Force Race Cars Inc.) for building a great car and Jon Salemi (DMPE Inc.) for our M5 Supercharger and fuel system. We couldn’t have done it without all of these people.”

Team owner Jeff Wilmes said, “I’m just proud of our team. The Salemi brothers keep my guys safe and are teaching them how to race and be a team. I’m just a proud guy right now. We won as a team and that makes it all worth it”.

The KW Motorsports team plans to run the TOPMA series next year as well as some Street Car events and a possible appearance at some ADRL races.
The KW Motorsports team thanks the following companies for their support: Wilmes Auto Group, Louis Boyd Racing Engines, G-Force Race Cars Inc, DMPE Inc, Cynergy Composites, and Sc! ott Jahr en Paint.

Photo Steven Bunker

Attachments

• kirkburnsat1.jpg
    kirkburnsat1.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 554
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back