We've Been Saying This For A Long Time (1 Viewer)

It reads, to me, like a wish list of a drag racing insider. I think first NHRA needs to understand its fan base. Not anecdotally who is attending, but truly understand who is paying to get in and what they want. Do the people paying the bills care who wins the championship? Do they follow NHRA on TV or just show up to one event? I don't think the casual observer cares that there's no single starter at every event or that Camping World doesn't have a bunch of motorhomes on premise like the article states.

This is my wish list, and I say this as someone who used to be waaaay into drag racing but find it very stale and sterile now. I still enjoy casually observing but have only ponied up the cash to go to one event in 20 years. I know many will probably disagree:
  • I'd like to see some sort of divisional focus for the pro classes. Bring the races to the people, and bring the racers to their local tracks.
  • I'd like to see some unpredictability - minimally prep the track so it's not a matter of "looking at the notebook" for tuning
  • Put the stock back in pro stock. Personally I thought dropping the hood scoop in favor of EFI was going to make a difference. All it did was show that PS is a caricature of a car and showcase the 20 foot long hood. And why does every PS look like a dumpling in the back?
  • During the broadcast do a segment on a racer maybe people haven't heard of, regardless of class.
  • Stop putting the finish line camera at 1320 ft when the cars race to 1000 ft (that's just a personal gripe)
I don't know what the answers are but I don't believe they're going to come from someone who earns his/her paycheck either directly or indirectly through drag racing.

It reads, to me, like a wish list of a drag racing insider. I think first NHRA needs to understand its fan base. Not anecdotally who is attending, but truly understand who is paying to get in and what they want. Do the people paying the bills care who wins the championship? Do they follow NHRA on TV or just show up to one event? I don't think the casual observer cares that there's no single starter at every event or that Camping World doesn't have a bunch of motorhomes on premise like the article states.

This is my wish list, and I say this as someone who used to be waaaay into drag racing but find it very stale and sterile now. I still enjoy casually observing but have only ponied up the cash to go to one event in 20 years. I know many will probably disagree:
  • I'd like to see some sort of divisional focus for the pro classes. Bring the races to the people, and bring the racers to their local tracks.
  • I'd like to see some unpredictability - minimally prep the track so it's not a matter of "looking at the notebook" for tuning
  • Put the stock back in pro stock. Personally I thought dropping the hood scoop in favor of EFI was going to make a difference. All it did was show that PS is a caricature of a car and showcase the 20 foot long hood. And why does every PS look like a dumpling in the back?
  • During the broadcast do a segment on a racer maybe people haven't heard of, regardless of class.
  • Stop putting the finish line camera at 1320 ft when the cars race to 1000 ft (that's just a personal gripe)
I don't know what the answers are but I don't believe they're going to come from someone who earns his/her paycheck either directly or indirectly through drag racing.
Dean Pappadeas and Main Event got it right the first time. Watch Main Events video, Superbowl of Drag Racing and Rockin and Racing. Thats how its done.

I have long thought that the bodies on Pro Stock cars should not be permitted to vary more than 10% from the factory stock body.

haven't even read the article.......just put on the best show you can in 22, 23, or however many markets you go to.
the road show, IMO, has some great, unique events.....gainesville, bristol, norwalk, denver, brainerd, indy, reading, ennis, vegas2.....to name a few.
each race is it's own unique entertainment event for a few hundred mile radius drawing racers, sponsors, and fans.

Would be nice two see Marcus on the starting line between to fuel cars! Did they renew with nhra? Pretty sure this is last year on current contract??

Joe, disagree 100%!!!!!!!! Worst ever but thats just my opinion
Working with 80’s Beta max and VHS, Papadeaus was able to bring the sport to life on TV like no one else, past or present. Had NHRA made him their TV producer, maybe the ratings would have reflected the excitement on TV that present day team is at a loss for. NHRA fixing their audio issues on Fox and more so on NHRA.TV would be a HUGE step to growing their TV market

Harve, ok, thats your opinion and I dont agree. Didnt know NHRA had a audio problem on FOX and I heard there was one on NHRA.Tv but I dont subscribe so I'll take your word for it.

If anybody thinks the Pro audio needs fixing, take a listen to a Sportsman race. The Sportsman portion of the race at Ennis was on FS2 two or three nights ago. The alcohol funny cars were running. The only noise I heard was from the announcers. The on-track sounds were barely audible. Turning my sound bar up did nothing to enhance the car sounds. But I didn't want to listen to the announcers at that volume setting.

Absolutely the best drag racing videos ever.
Also Thrill:The Eddie Hill Story and Close Calls trilogy that showed the build of the greatest Drag Racing vehicle of all time Swamp Rat 30!
There is another one he did about Big’s final US Nationals, never released to the public, but a great historical record

Either make pro stock half way affordable (relatively speaking) and allow the inclusion of other car brands or eliminate the class. I don't even watch that class any more. Got tired of seeing Chevy and the little darling always winning.

I know there are aerodynamic safety issues involved here but if the funny car bodies would return to looking like real cars that we can identify with, the fans would like it a whole lot more.

Either make pro stock half way affordable (relatively speaking) and allow the inclusion of other car brands or eliminate the class. I don't even watch that class any more. Got tired of seeing Chevy and the little darling always winning.

I know there are aerodynamic safety issues involved here but if the funny car bodies would return to looking like real cars that we can identify with, the fans would like it a whole lot more.
Not sure I understand the attack on Pro Stock. The class has had the most cars in all the pro classes consistently

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back