WAY Too Ugly for this soon in the season! (1 Viewer)

nick name

Nitro Member
I was waiting for one of the online sites to break the story, and since Bobby has put a notice up I thought I'd start a thread for comments.

The NHRA has decided that the combination of cool air and killer track will put too much loading on tires and has therefore hsd pulled all sanctioning of the Vegas test session. That includes tech, Safety Safari, staff, and National Dragster staff.

Graham Light contacted the track management and asked them to cancel the event, or at least refuse any fuel entries. The management, having a lot of promotion already done, refused.

Light then contacted PRO president Kenny Bernstein, who issued a letter to all of PRO's members. From the contacts I have, I have been unable to find a fuel team who still intends on competing.

I have three comments:

(1) I have no idea of what kind of (if any) negotiations resulted before we arrived at this point.

(2) I would not want to put ANY driver in ANY class in unwarranted danger.

(3) I do not think it is a wise idea to mess around with Bruton Smith's income if there are ANY available ways not to do so.

Last edited:
What's next? Cancelling all Night sessions because the Cool air and heavy Track conditions will put too much load on the Tires???:confused:

What's next? Cancelling all Night sessions because the Cool air and heavy Track conditions will put too much load on the Tires???:confused:

I was about to post almost the exact same thing, Joe.

What's going to happen when an event like Chi-town comes up and the air and track are killer? Are they going to cancel that too? :rolleyes:

It's happening. They are still reeling from Force's crash and not having any definitive answers on the chassis issues. NHRA is shying away from any liabilities, and I would not doubt it if NHRA announce rules to slow the cars down before Pomona.:confused:

could be a timing issue, with the vote for the hdp buy coming near the last thing they would want in the media is for something to go wrong at vegas

It's happening. They are still reeling from Force's crash and not having any definitive answers on the chassis issues. NHRA is shying away from any liabilities, and I would not doubt it if NHRA announce rules to slow the cars down before Pomona.:confused:

i think so too.
give me a break, you can't expect the parts mfgr's. to wave
a magic wand and improve their products everytime the crew chiefs
find 10 more mph; much less for the same price; much less at today's
speeds.

I was waiting for one of the online sites to break the story, and since Bobby has put a notice up I thought I'd start a thread for comments.

The NHRA has decided that the combination of cool air and killer track will put too much loading on tires and has therefore hsd pulled all sanctioning of the Vegas test session. That includes tech, Safety Safari, staff, and National Dragster staff.

Graham Light contacted the track management and asked them to cancel the event, or at least refuse any fuel entries. The management, having a lot of promotion already done, refused.

Light then contacted PRO president Kenny Bernstein, who issued a letter to all of PRO's members. From the contacts I have, I have been unable to find a fuel team who still intends on competing.

I have three comments:

(1) I have no idea of what kind of (if any) negotiations resulted before we arrived at this point.

(2) I would not want to put ANY driver in ANY class in unwarranted danger.

(3) I do think think it is a wise idea to mess around with Bruton Smith's income if there are ANY available ways not to do so.

According to LVMS, NHRA does NOT sanction testing anyway. LVMS provides all the necessary crew and safety personel for the test events. Sounds like more BS from NHRA. They'll piss off Bruton and he'll buy Glendora and have it shipped to San Felipe, MX. Wait, that sounds like a marvelous idea.

I wonder what the John Force camp is going to do? John's been leading the 'safety' charge & we haven't heard a single word from Yorba Linda yet...

My gut tells me that if something doesn't give real soon, we're going to see a lot of tire smoke this season due to intentionally poor track prep by NHRA. Maybe not all bad though, Nostalgia racing in current, up-to-date race cars!!

I wonder what the John Force camp is going to do? John's been leading the 'safety' charge & we haven't heard a single word from Yorba Linda yet...

My gut tells me that if something doesn't give real soon, we're going to see a lot of tire smoke this season due to intentionally poor track prep by NHRA. Maybe not all bad though, Nostalgia racing in current, up-to-date race cars!!

I keep hearing that Yorba Linda is still waiting on Pipes...
lets see, Evan is backing off
Glendora is dinkin' around with Mr. Smith
Has the new FC Spec even been issued?

Is Glendora trying to kill off FC and just wants to go with 32 T/F cars?

next:rolleyes::confused:

d'kid
Oh yeah, Hi Senior!

So . . . where does this leave Firebird's National Time Trials? Hearing great feedback about the new track surface. Is it also too good for NHRA's blessing?
I've been to every one of these events and can't recall seeing any NHRA officials or the Safety Safari.
What does NHRA expect fuel teams to do? Show up at Pomona with new untested TF chassis or FCs with no idea of what the new specs are?
This not ugly - it's BS!

Is Glendora trying to kill off FC and just wants to go with 32 T/F cars?

next:rolleyes::confused:

d'kid
Oh yeah, Hi Senior!

Hi Shipmate!

Either that or they're trying to get Big Jim Dunn to re-energize/re-introduce the rear engine flopper! Nah, they'd still have chassis issues...;)

Seems to be a simple case of the NHRA trying to disassociate itself from the event in the case there is an accident. Remember they are trying to complete a sale and another lawsuit is not on the to do list.

I was just thinking what does this say to current and potential sponsors and investors. If our own sanctioning body is too afraid to cover us then why should they get involved. I'm sure there is more to it but on the surface it doesn't shed a good light on our sport. And the surface is all most people are going to see

According to LVMS, NHRA does NOT sanction testing anyway. LVMS provides all the necessary crew and safety personel for the test events. Sounds like more BS from NHRA. They'll piss off Bruton and he'll buy Glendora and have it shipped to San Felipe, MX. Wait, that sounds like a marvelous idea.

I stand corrected regarding the crew. I was working from the text of the original letter to PRO which mentioned those areas as being withheld.

In my opinion, the local crew at LVMS is probably the best in the business and is on a level with the national Safety Safari. Having said that, I wonder if the NHRA's removal of sanction means that their normally provided insurance will not be in effect?

I realize that each track carries insurance for any activity, but I'm referring to the insurance that NHRA uses to cover competitors.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back