War Stories Showdown (1 Viewer)

Bobby Bennett

Nitro Member
Torco's CompetitionPlus.com plans on having a national event featuring at least 16 legends of drag racing from the old school, but not on the drag strip. In fact they won't even have to strap into a car. This competition will be who can tell the best war story.

Our readers will judge each winner by an online vote. We will select 16 individuals, some may be past or present racers, others may be promoters and some may just be people in the sport.

Torco's CompetitionPlus.com will pair the storytellers through a random reader vote competition. The highest vote getter will be the top seed and the rest will follow. They will advance on a ladder just like a regular drag race. With each winning round, the participants will spin a new yarn.

The winner will receive a special trophy commemorating his/her monumental victory in the Inuagural Torco's CompetitionPlus.com WAR STORIES SHOWDOWN.

The competition will begin on Thursday, December 13, 2007 with the first round. All competitions will be Monday through Friday. Second round will begin on Wednesday, December 26, 2007. The semis will begin on Thursday, January 3, 2008.

The final round will be on Monday, January 7, 2008.

Torco's CompetitionPlus.com plans on having a national event featuring at least 16 legends of drag racing from the old school, but not on the drag strip. In fact they won't even have to strap into a car. This competition will be who can tell the best war story.

Our readers will judge each winner by an online vote. We will select 16 individuals, some may be past or present racers, others may be promoters and some may just be people in the sport.

Torco's CompetitionPlus.com will pair the storytellers through a random reader vote competition. The highest vote getter will be the top seed and the rest will follow. They will advance on a ladder just like a regular drag race. With each winning round, the participants will spin a new yarn.

The winner will receive a special trophy commemorating his/her monumental victory in the Inuagural Torco's CompetitionPlus.com WAR STORIES SHOWDOWN.

The competition will begin on Thursday, December 13, 2007 with the first round. All competitions will be Monday through Friday. Second round will begin on Wednesday, December 26, 2007. The semis will begin on Thursday, January 3, 2008.

The final round will be on Monday, January 7, 2008.

This seems like a great idea - I hope some of the horror stories from the Hemi-Hunter guys get entered. I've read many of them and always end up laughing ans shaking my head at how bad it could get sometimes!

:D:D:D.....HA!!! I just found the best quote for this one:
From History of the World Part II:

BEA ARTHUR'S CHARACHTER: "OCCUPATION...?"
MEL BROOKS: "STAND UP PHILOSOPHER"
...Bea Arthur: "OH...A BULL$HIT ARTIST??..Did you BULL$HIT LAST WEEK.(No)..DID YOU TRY TO BULL$HIT LAST WEEK??? (YES)"

Lookin forward to the "STAND-UP PHILOSOPHYING!" This ought to be pretty fun Bobby!!!

It's gonna be fun. Readers will vote on the seedings. The highest vote will be seeded #1 like qualifying. We'll pair them up on a ladder and let them fight it out. Each winner will be determined by the readers.

I know Pat Musi, Roy Hill and John Force are all loaded for bear. Scelzi too.

It's gonna be fun. Readers will vote on the seedings. The highest vote will be seeded #1 like qualifying. We'll pair them up on a ladder and let them fight it out. Each winner will be determined by the readers.

I know Pat Musi, Roy Hill and John Force are all loaded for bear. Scelzi too.

Not to mention Coil, Tharp, Waterbed Fred, Densmore, or Dave McClelland. Hope they're on your roster.

Edit: Forgot Broadway Bob and Joe Sway.

ahhhh. how bout Conrad, Ace, Goose, Chops, his Brother Dave, Larry Reyes, ROLLIN' ALONG... Mike's Grandpa or Dad????

Bobby, I really think we need a full 32 car field here:eek::D

d'kid

so is it a bracket elimination or will we be seeing a countdown type system with this Bobby? :p

Reader vote to seed the field

Pair them 1 vs 16, 2 vs 15 etc.

Each match will be determined by the higher vote total.

4 rounds - eliminated down to a final round -- just likea drag race.

Tom "The Mongoose" McEwen just joined the field.

The inaugural event will be invitational -- next year will be reader vote.

Bobby would have to put a disclaimer on his sight if u want the good ones!! ;)

I know nothing, I see Nothing, never swung by there while I was in high school, also have no idea where The Cave was... and I won't tell anything that happening in a black 65 Belvedere parked in the gravel behind the top end bleachers at The County.....

still
d'kid

Perhaps you could have a "sportsman" class? If you did this you would likely receive a "flood" of stories that could then be compiled, along with the "Legends" into what could turn out to be a very interesting book of short stories for sale by next holiday season...

I am dismayed by the current stock of NASCAR oriented books for sale at our local and chain book stores. People who will buy the book for the stories by the legends are often fans and they will also enjoy stories by lesser known drivers and young readers especially enjoy stories by people about whom they have never seen or heard.

I remember when I was a child reading about a guy called Bob Griese in a book about football quarterbacks and at that point in time Miami was a new expansion team and the Dolhhins has not had any success, yet he was included in the book. Late in his career I remember seeing him on television and the announcers were talking about how he had to wear eyeglasses and somehow it made me think about the young untested quarterback in that book and how his career had come full circle.

Far be it for me to suggest a way to profit not only short term but also a way to branch into different publishing area but the drag racing population has been underserved in the mainstream media and so to set a goal to have something in "regular" book stores might be a way to cash in twice with the same chip, and help the industry at the same time?

Anyway, I like your idea as it is, but I would especially like to see some industry media step up and help with planting seeds of speed in the mainstream population. :)

so is it a bracket elimination or will we be seeing a countdown type system with this Bobby? :p

Oh sure.....let's just push PJ the rest of the way over the edge!!!!

PS ------> I am definitely looking forward to the stories...should be a blast! :D

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back