Video- Terry Haddock's car breaks during transport (1 Viewer)

Kudos to Gary Densham! Hope Terry and the guys are able to get it on the track this weekend and make the show!

Wow. That seems like a lot of damage.

Hope he and Gary can get it back together in time for a couple of qualifying passes and eliminations.

That sucks! Hopefully they can get Gary's car together and make some passes.

Bad break for the team. Kudos to Gary Densham for helping out. On the other hand, big thanks to the Man upstairs that this happened in the trailer and not during a run. Best of luck to get in the show Saturday.

Just 6 passes ? Happened in transport ! Looked like somthing heavy was dropped on it !

He said 6 races.

Who is his chassis builder? If something like this happened after 6 races, I sure as hell would be ripping my chassis builder a new ass and then never let him touch another one!

At the end of the interview, he said Gary was bringing another frame, and that it was a paralax, same as his.

Riding in a trailer can be harder on a chassis than racing it, particularly if it isn't properly supported or comes loose in the trailer. I have no idea how they support it or if it came loose, but a long ride can really do some damage.

On the track the chassis is quite flexible and is "suspended" on big Goodyears, so it has larger amplitude, lower frequency displacements with the tires helping the situation.

In the trailer it is usually tied down solid so the Goodyears can't absorb any vibration. If there is some flex, it would tend to be lower amplitude but much higher frequency, especially if the road is rough. Higher frequency = MANY more cycles, possibly many orders of magnitude more cycles than it would ever see on the track. If the vibration of the road drove the chassis to vibrate at its resonate frequency, the amplitude goes crazy and it would literally fall apart in short order. You've probably seen pictures of bridges swaying like crazy and ultimately shaking themselves apart when the wind drives them into a resonate frequencey....

My .02

This is why you are supposed to put an inflatable air bag under the engine plate when you tie the chassis down. The air bag absorbs the vibration and doesn't wear the chassis. All of the modern fuel chassis are flexible, most being slip tube chassis. A 3000 mile trip in a trailer without an air bag would far surpass a season of runs on the chassis.

Riding in a trailer can be harder on a chassis than racing it, particularly if it isn't properly supported or comes loose in the trailer. I have no idea how they support it or if it came loose, but a long ride can really do some damage.

On the track the chassis is quite flexible and is "suspended" on big Goodyears, so it has larger amplitude, lower frequency displacements with the tires helping the situation.

In the trailer it is usually tied down solid so the Goodyears can't absorb any vibration. If there is some flex, it would tend to be lower amplitude but much higher frequency, especially if the road is rough. Higher frequency = MANY more cycles, possibly many orders of magnitude more cycles than it would ever see on the track. If the vibration of the road drove the chassis to vibrate at its resonate frequency, the amplitude goes crazy and it would literally fall apart in short order. You've probably seen pictures of bridges swaying like crazy and ultimately shaking themselves apart when the wind drives them into a resonate frequencey....

My .02
What kind of a first post is that, Bill? x'plainin everything and all!

Oh...and welcome.

I highly doubt his trailer had anything to do with it. I would about guarantee it is an air ride trailer and you would be amazed how nice the ride is inside. It is 10 times better than a pickup and gooseneck. We have hauled cars for over 40 years and have not had one instance of a frame being damaged in anyway. You need to have a little play in the tie downs, the trailer's 4 airbags absorb most of the shock from the road anyway.

I highly doubt his trailer had anything to do with it. I would about guarantee it is an air ride trailer and you would be amazed how nice the ride is inside. It is 10 times better than a pickup and gooseneck. We have hauled cars for over 40 years and have not had one instance of a frame being damaged in anyway. You need to have a little play in the tie downs, the trailer's 4 airbags absorb most of the shock from the road anyway.

All the big boys have air ride trailers and ALL of them use an air bag under the engine plate. I doubt seriously you have an AA Fuel chassis. They are not the same as a super comp car.

All the big boys have air ride trailers and ALL of them use an air bag under the engine plate. I doubt seriously you have an AA Fuel chassis. They are not the same as a super comp car.

Air ride semi trailers are pretty much standard today, they aren't just exclusive to "the big boys". For you to say "A 3000 mile trip in a trailer without an air bag would far surpass a season of runs on the chassis", is your opinion, you make it seem like that is a fact.
I would gladly load up a funny car or top fueler in one of our moving vans and haul it across the country and unload it in the EXACT same condition as when it left, without using an air bag inside the trailer.

That sucks for Terry. I swear, I remember Bob Chandler or perhaps it was one of the other monster truck "big boys" having this same problem that Bill explained, many moons ago

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back