Vegas again (1 Viewer)

Dragracer

Nitro Member
T/F still only has 15 cars. The latest entry is Leah. It shows her entry as: DSR Top Fuel Team and she is not entered yet at Houston. I guess Don is funding her car but not one for Tony. STRANGE!!

A lot cheaper to fund one car for one event that has funding for most of the tour than to fully fund a car for the whole tour......not strange at all I would say smart.

Leah works tirelessly to find funding to keep her on the tour. She came into ‘19 with funding but not enough for the full pull, so you can bet she’s staying busy during off weeks.

i would expect shoe to hold out for a solid multi-year deal. it's take the deal for the big money or you dont get your name on his car. and im sure some business lessons were learned from the al anabi deal

It is sobering to see a booming economy and corporate America's obvious belief that throwing $3 million at a top fuel car isn't a good ROI. Yet, a stick and ball guy who really hasn't won anything can lock down a $400 million "sponsorship."

It is sobering to see a booming economy and corporate America's obvious belief that throwing $3 million at a top fuel car isn't a good ROI. Yet, a stick and ball guy who really hasn't won anything can lock down a $400 million "sponsorship."

Baseball is a great example of the madness - Golf and Tennis are others.
I've been anticipating a cooling-off since Budweiser (largely) pulled-the-plug on sports advertising but.....the beat goes on. Drag Racers need to sell it....ain't easy.

well, what if the sport hadn't let itself get to 3-5M per year?....... there are a few teams that are out there every year that i'm almost sure don't spend that much and guess what, they are
every bit as entertaining to watch in the pits and on the track as the top dogs. they don't set records, they rarely win rounds, but at the end of the year i bet they spend less than a top runner
who gets a few #1Q checks and a few winner's checks.......hey, i'm all for big budgets, go fast, chew thru parts, have awesome hospitality, stay in the best hotels/resorts, etc., but at some point
is it sustainable?.....like mark said, 'in a booming economy the nhra pros are struggling to attract dollars' ......tony schumacher (for example) mite have attributes well beyond driving skills,
but so does the motocross guy, or the soccer star, or name any sports entertainment figure who tours with his/her sport and asks for much less money and probably has tv ratings equal to
or greater than nhra's.......i'd like to think the nhra is getting closer to attracting new money? their whole package rite now IMO is as good as it's ever been.

i see leah is now on list for vegas. one western team missing this year bill miller TF'r. did he announce last year that he mite not race anymore?

Noooooo. Not this comparison again!! How many people in total attend in person or watch NHRA Drag Racing? Seriously? The top tier teams in MLB average 3-4 million in actual attendance for 81 home "events". So if we conservatively say 2 million per team (32 teams), that's 64M people in totality over a single season of baseball. That's probably a bit low.
  • Tickets
  • Parking
  • Concessions
Kind of think that shows where the ROI on a $400M contract comes from. Add in the TV audience which is probably 5X (ratings) over any NHRA broadcast, at least for the better clubs. Lots and Lots of ROI form sponsors and advertising. Teams all get a cut of TV revenue.

As an example, thousands of Phillies fans road tripped down I-95 to DC last night to see their new "hero" Bryce Harper play against his old team. Place was packed on a Tuesday night. Probably wouldn't have happened otherwise. I bet the Nationals organization doesn't mind the added bump.

Auto Racing and Stick and Ball sports in the USA will never be an apples to apples comparison.

Fox and TBS pay major league baseball over 800 million dollars annually. Throw in ESPN and its over 1 billion dollars annually, just for TV rights. NHRA pays to have races aired. Two very different world's. ....

And funny that NASCAR almost has to pay people to see their product, yet corporate American seems to think a $20 million bet on a team will produce acceptable ROI.

From: https://www.dragracingonline.com/agent-1320-4-4-19.html

Leah Pritchett is sitting second in the Top Fuel points after three events, but like many racers this season, is having a hard time putting together money to attend all NHRA national events.

She originally was not funded to attend the Vegas Four-Wide event this weekend, but a little help from former sponsor, John Schnatter (founder and former CEO of Papa John’s Pizza), got Pritchett into the event.

“Thank you, John Schnatter, for stepping up and giving our team a shot at racing for the Vegas Four-Wide Wally,” Pritchett said.

The Agent notes there are just 15 entries in Top Fuel, 17 in Funny Car, 16 in Pro Stock and 19 in Pro Stock Motorcycle for this event. [04/04/19]

Currently #4 777 Leah Pritchett, Avon IN, DSR-DSM ET: 3.743 Speed: 328.06

The Sat schedule says that there is an "electric powered vehicle" scheduled to make a run. Is that the Copo Camaro?

Remember the Eagles song, Standing on the corner in Winslow Arizona? Well, Charles McLaws TA/FC is out of Winslow. That is such a small town (but they do have a Walmart now) it makes me wonder what he does to have the $ to run the car. He does well, comes down to Wild Horse a lot & can Q and go some rounds. So gotta root for him in Vegas. Both alky fields have some tuff, tuff cars. T/AD in the .20's & TA/FC in the .40's for the top cars.

Remember the Eagles song, Standing on the corner in Winslow Arizona? Well, Charles McLaws TA/FC is out of Winslow. That is such a small town (but they do have a Walmart now) it makes me wonder what he does to have the $ to run the car. He does well, comes down to Wild Horse a lot & can Q and go some rounds. So gotta root for him in Vegas. Both alky fields have some tuff, tuff cars. T/AD in the .20's & TA/FC in the .40's for the top cars.
i heard he mite be going up against a girl in a flatbed ford

If I remember right, Joseph City was a Mormon settlement. Lots of Mormon folks in N. Arizona. Arizona history is interesting. We have a town called Show Low, which is named after a card game. Flagstaff is literally named after a flag pole from late 1800's. College town now (NAU). Fun place to visit when school is out (hint). Always 30 degrees cooler than Phoenix cuz it's 7000' altitude.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back