Vandergriff Interview (1 Viewer)

I'm probably seeing a negative reference, but, is there some "bad blood" between BV2 and Leah?
(ie specific favorable reference to Dave C but silent on Leah if future team - and negative reference to Quaker State help)

I don't recall Leah saying ANYTHING negative (really) about the abrupt demise of BVR (even though it would have been understandable).

I would have like a more detailed followed up as to why he regret the one-off deal with Leah/Schu/Quaker.

Interesting read

PJ, I'm certain Bobby asked that question (a 5th grader would have!), but I'm also pretty confident Bobby got a response that he didn't think was in his long term best interest to include in the story. Politics and survival underlies essentially all media. The answer Bobby ended with sure indicated a willingness of Bob V to talk, I'm guessing that Bobby didn't want to be seen as stirring the pot into too much of a froth (perhaps to maintain his ability to easily interact with Leah or DSR) and left it at that.

I appreciated the article, but I also understand why we are often left with far less than the complete story.

FWIW: I understand why BV pulled the plug -Not much choice in the matter - I'm sure it was tough on EVERYBODY.
Somebody (a LOT smarter than me) once said, "There's a right way to do the right thing - and there can be a wrong way to do the right thing" BV did a good thing (I THINK) to keep Leah in the mix but, should have left it at that.

I'm probably seeing a negative reference, but, is there some "bad blood" between BV2 and Leah?
(ie specific favorable reference to Dave C but silent on Leah if future team - and negative reference to Quaker State help)

I don't recall Leah saying ANYTHING negative (really) about the abrupt demise of BVR (even though it would have been understandable).
Dave Connelly was his replacement, not Dixon or Leah. C&J funded a second car for Dixon, when that funding went away, so was the second car......until Leah came in with some $$$. He had an alliance with DSR before the Houston race, so I wouldn't think there was an issue there..... who knows what else he was referring to?

I've always respected Bob's approach to racing as a business, and it's really all about the math[/B]. I do hope he comes back, I believe we need guys like him who can help the business side of drag racing.

http://competitionplus.com/drag-rac...terview-bob-vandergriff-jr-breaks-his-silence
maybe thats the problem. maybe drag racing [ fuel and pro stock] has to be sustained by as bob said 'people who do it as a hobby' . from the early days of a few guys getting together in someone's garage to build a car it was a passion not a business. and those guys always spent their lunch money or their kids lunch money on the car. and we've all heard the old saying that if you want to make a little money in racing start with a lot. V gaines spent a lot of money drag racing. when efi came in he said wow im done. maybe it was the money or maybe he didn't have the energy to climb the efi mountain. but chances are another V Gaines will show up in pro stock sooner or later. Because there is someone somewhere being born right now who is gonna grow up with that burning desire to go drag racing. money is never gonna be the first consideration for that person. he or she will sleep in their truck like whit bazemore and john force did. they will stay involved like connie and don way after they have to. and if they live long enough they will do it week after week into their eighties like jim dunn or the greek. and maybe there will always be the next forrest lucas or terry chandler to feed the beast. and oh yeah there will always be people like us on this forum who will come out to the races. is it a smart thing for me to get up at 5 AM and drive three hours each way to maple grove. spend gas money food and admission even though the forecast says 80% possibiltiy of rain. sustainable business model ? no way. but it seems to keep truckin on

PJ, I'm certain Bobby asked that question (a 5th grader would have!), but I'm also pretty confident Bobby got a response that he didn't think was in his long term best interest to include in the story. Politics and survival underlies essentially all media. The answer Bobby ended with sure indicated a willingness of Bob V to talk, I'm guessing that Bobby didn't want to be seen as stirring the pot into too much of a froth (perhaps to maintain his ability to easily interact with Leah or DSR) and left it at that.

I appreciated the article, but I also understand why we are often left with far less than the complete story.

I didn't mean it as a knock on Bobby just more that I was curious as to why Bob felt that why.

CompPlus = the vanilla version. You are never going to get BVR screwed Pritchett or Millican.

CompPlus = the vanilla version. You are never going to get BVR screwed Pritchett or Millican.

You know this as fact that Millican and Pritchett were screwed? If CompPlus would state they were screwed by BVR
in an article I'm fairly certain he would hear from BV and future requests for interviews from other drivers/owners would get declined.

To run that race in Houston he probably had to spend a lot more of his own money than what QS did (that's my take).

Still not understanding why he said he's "retiring" and then talk about getting a team together in the next breath. Why not just say you're parking or selling the team due to financial constraints and will be back when it's financially possible? I would have respected that decision, not the way it actually went down.

Bob would have probably been content to retire for good, but as stated in the interview, he can't even liquidate his assets due to lack of demand. So, it may make sense to return if he can put the funding in place. He still has the infrastructure.

You know this as fact that Millican and Pritchett were screwed? If CompPlus would state they were screwed by BVR
in an article I'm fairly certain he would hear from BV and future requests for interviews from other drivers/owners would get declined.
Exactly why you only get the vanilla version. Afraid to upset anyone. Great rah-rah mag for the sport, but it is all fluff.

I thought it was a great interview, particularly when he speaks of the financial aspect of the pro classes. I didn't see it as a fluff piece at all, maybe not every detail of certain events is meant to be made public.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back