Unresticted internet is DONE. (1 Viewer)

HEMI6point1

Nitro Member
Justice Dept. against ‘Net neutrality’ - Tech News & Reviews - MSNBC.com

Yep, net neutrality is dead. Shot down.

To cut down all the tech stuff, here's what this means now in non-techie terms. If you have cable TV, then you know they have price tiers for certain "premium" channels. Like if you want HBO or Cinemax, then you'll have to pay extra.

Well now with the demise of net neutrality, companies are now free to restrict access to and charge extra for sites or services they feel is "premium" or uses more bandwidth. For example, let's say that Comcast feels that video hosting sites like Youtube or adult sites are taking up too much of their bandwidth or is considered "premium content." They can block you from accessing those sites until you upgrade your service to include access to this "premium content."

ISPs have said that the reason why they oppose net neutrality is because over the last 5 years the type of content people are downloading and viewing has put a strain on their equipment, leading to slowdowns and service interruptions. ISPs say that if they charge people a fee to access sites or services that are classified as premium content or high in bandwidth usage then they can use that money to upgrade their equipment. BULLSHIT! They're not going to change a thing, they'll just use the extra money to line their pockets more. :rolleyes:

And this is just another instance of the current government siding with companies instead of the consumer, just so they can screw us out of our hard earned money. AGAIN. :mad:

I don't see this being that big of an issue.

Compare it to some sites who'll charge to view their content. If it interests you..you pay a fee..that's fair.

Same as different tiers for your broadband speed..faster=higher monthly fee.

This is connected to bandwidth. With most everyone having highspeed..and sites like YouTube, etc..everybody downloading videos..it was bound to happen.

The only way these companies will "screw us out of our hard earned money" is for one to avail themself of their services.

No one is putting a gun to anybody's head and making them buy anything.

You have a choice.

The only way these companies will "screw us out of our hard earned money" is for one to avail themself of their services.

No one is putting a gun to anybody's head and making them buy anything.

You have a choice.

Even if they made this site "Premium"?

Even if they made this site "Premium"?

I was thinking that, what if sites like this were put under "premium content?" I bet you wouldn't be thinking it's OK then.

On a related note, Comcast has said they are going to start blocking people from accessing the web who "use a high amount of bandwidth." I guess "unlimited internet" is really translation for "up to a certain point." That would not be bad if Comcast choose to reveal the download limit, which they are refusing to do. :rolleyes:

There are other ways to access the net besides Comcast. And the term "unrestricted" is a misnomer. There was no mention of any particular site(s) being banned. Just a possible, additional charge to access certain high bandwidth sites. Access will still be available. The ultimate question is how much is it worth to you?

If you feel they charging more than you are willing to pay, then you have the freedom to change your net provider. Or not to buy the service at all, if the cost is past your "comfort point". There is no "right" in this country to have any goods, or any service, at some predetermined, government regulated, cost.

I personally believe that the less government regulates anything, the better. Competition on the open market is the best way to provide the best goods or services, with the lowest longterm overall cost to the consumer .

Any company which provides goods or services should be free to charge what the market will bear. If a company is charging too much for "x", then sales will decrease, and the cost will be adjusted. Supply and demand.

The goal of any company is to make, and increase profits.

I don't understand why so many today think that's such a bad thing.

Actually, I do, but that's another story... :rolleyes:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back