TV's The Key... (1 Viewer)

As already mentioned, decent time slot, start on time, and for Craps sake how a bout a commercial or two?!? I know what time every baseball/football/nascar race will be on coming up, but the best I get for when the nhra show will start is a crawl on the bottoms saying nhra will be on when the Chinese national tiddlywinks exhibition is over.

Also I have to say the show is overproduced.....the live Friday night on espn 3 is my favorite and i wish the Sunday show was the same. Also I love love love the espn 3 feeds, that's all I watch, if they would move over to the track announcers and leave it running all weekend I could care less about the tv show, I would watch it and be happy (but the nhra would never get a sponsor if that was the case).

As already mentioned, decent time slot, start on time, and for Craps sake how a bout a commercial or two?!? I know what time every baseball/football/nascar race will be on coming up, but the best I get for when the nhra show will start is a crawl on the bottoms saying nhra will be on when the Chinese national tiddlywinks exhibition is over.

Also I have to say the show is overproduced.....the live Friday night on espn 3 is my favorite and i wish the Sunday show was the same. Also I love love love the espn 3 feeds, that's all I watch, if they would move over to the track announcers and leave it running all weekend I could care less about the tv show, I would watch it and be happy (but the nhra would never get a sponsor if that was the case).

Our format doesn't work well for live racing. Going to an eight car field would make it possible but that would be a horrible idea.

Personally, I don't mind waiting to see it all. I realize in our information overload society that might seem backwards but I'd rather see it right then all jacked up trying to do it live.

I Really do not give a flying Rat's @$$ If I know the results before watching or not... Infact, it makes it easier to watch a run and look at the details already knowing who won.... I will watch the show with completed ladders with et's... that just makes it easier to pay attention the the run on the screen...

But... I come from a time when it was a couple of months before we got 15-20 minutes of racing three months after the race....

d'kid

"It's not because of 1,000 foot."

Keep singing that song folks.

Let me start by saying, I'm an NHRA member have been for 20 years. I'm a racer and a fan. I go to two events a year (both Pomona's) to watch. The "show" at the track is great and I don't mind spending the money twice a year to see "The Big Show."

Having said that the TV side gets old very fast and it's hard to watch. It's the same content every show. The same drivers, teams, crew, and owners are talked about and interviewed every week and they tend to say the same stuff over and over again. Rarely are smaller, or lower budgeted teams profiled or interviewed. How about some NHRA history, more tech, or where are they now stuff. Someone needs to get a clue.

The NHRA is a great product it's just under marketed.

Last edited:
A lot of people disagree with you, I hear about it at every race I'm at!

I'm being sarcastic. While I don't think 1,000 foot is the single cause I personally know, just in my small social group, 3 people who stopped going because of 1,000 foot. Now if every hardcore fan also knows 3 people it starts to add up. So while the owners and crew chiefs keep singing that 1,000 foot is not an issue it appears that some PAYING FANS may disagree.

How about make a majority of the qualifying shows during hours when people are awake, but again that's qualifying. They wanna fix the race ratings? I said it before and will forever say it again, stop expecting fans to watch for 3 hours when a good, fast paced show could be done in half the time. Disagree? Just how much "filler" do you see usually? How bout the WONDERFUL slap in the face for viewers that watch every round just to have to sit through the preceding round highlights right before the next round? Longer is not better. When you can be at the track and watch first round of tf, fc, ps, psb in THE SAME AMOUNT OF TIME as on tv, something has to change and fast.

I'm being sarcastic. While I don't think 1,000 foot is the single cause I personally know, just in my small social group, 3 people who stopped going because of 1,000 foot. Now if every hardcore fan also knows 3 people it starts to add up. So while the owners and crew chiefs keep singing that 1,000 foot is not an issue it appears that some PAYING FANS may disagree.

Oh ok....I wasn't sure! But you can bet we won't see 1/4 again till 2015 at least!

Let me start by saying, I'm an NHRA member have been for 20 years. I'm a racer and a fan. I go to two events a year (both Pomona's) to watch. The "show" at the track is great and I don't mind spending the money twice a year to see "The Big Show."

Having said that the TV side gets old very fast and it's hard to watch. It's the same content every show. The same drivers, teams, crew, and owners are talked about and interviewed every week and they tend to say the same stuff over and over again. Rarely are smaller, or lower budgeted teams profiled or interviewed. How about some NHRA history, more tech, or where are they now stuff. Someone needs to get a clue.

The NHRA is a great product it's just under marketed.

I agree with this post one hundred percent. Same old same old. I still enjoy attending a live event. As much to see the cars and pit action though more than the action on the track. Its almost like if it is not one of the handful of millionaire owners cars, it doesnt exist as far as the TV coverage is concerned. Used to set the old VCR to get the American Sports Cavalcade coverage, and anymore I wont even hit the button on the remote to record it . And although I am sure it doesnt affect the ratings one bit----would it be too much to ask to at least see the final sportsman runs during the big show?

Even if you don't watch, you should still DVR the NHRA coverage if you want to help out NHRA, then delete it later. TiVo, as well as all major satellite and cable companies, track who records what and offloads that data to marketing firms, networks, etc. So even if you don't watch, just by recording it you have put a mark in the ledger in NHRAs favor.

Even if you don't watch, you should still DVR the NHRA coverage if you want to help out NHRA, then delete it later. TiVo, as well as all major satellite and cable companies, track who records what and offloads that data to marketing firms, networks, etc. So even if you don't watch, just by recording it you have put a mark in the ledger in NHRAs favor.

This is exactly what I do. I have my DVR set to record every race automatically and I usually end up deleting it because I watched it on ESPN3.

1 hour qualifying show-I don't care if its midnite-but if it is, PUT IT ON AT MIDNITE!
1 1/2 hour raceday show-2 hours tops. And like some else said--i don't need a repeat of the Qually show-those of us interested enough have seen it already have-the casual viwer doesn't care. Turn you back for 2 minutes during a show-look up when you hear nitro noise + you see cars going down the track--oh wait-that was qually runs. Unless you are totally concentrating on the show, it just adds confusion + time.
The internet: ESPN3 is great for the hardcore- if you want your experience like you were there. You get to see runs in other classes-or stuck staring at oildowns. The only thing I would like is if it was "on demand". There's Fri. nites I have a chance to sit + watch and theres time I can't. I'd love to be able to click on it + watch it at my convienence.

This is exactly what I do. I have my DVR set to record every race automatically and I usually end up deleting it because I watched it on ESPN3.

What you and Chris meant to say was yall set the DVR to tape NHRA and then you get to watch an hour or so of something else normally tennis, bowling, soccer, baseball tonight, etc and then when racing does come on it cuts off during 2nd rd. Fun times! This is the truth and a huge problem.

I agree with what yall are saying though and thats what I do aswell. Its a good thing I like watching live, bc if I didnt I wouldnt have got to see half the season since half of it didnt record due to changed times and whatnot.

What you and Chris meant to say was yall set the DVR to tape NHRA and then you get to watch an hour or so of something else normally tennis, bowling, soccer, baseball tonight, etc and then when racing does come on it cuts off during 2nd rd. Fun times! This is the truth and a huge problem.

I agree with what yall are saying though and thats what I do aswell. Its a good thing I like watching live, bc if I didnt I wouldnt have got to see half the season since half of it didnt record due to changed times and whatnot.

I ALWAYS set my DVR to record 1 hour longer, but there have been occasions where even that was not enough.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back